the frost is out of the ground!

Old April 5th 04, 04:38 PM
Cub Driver

Default the frost is out of the ground!

The good news: I called the airport this morning and learned that "the
frost is out of the ground" and one of the instructors flew the Cub
yesterday.

The bad news: it is snowing, and the runway is currently white.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 5th 04, 09:45 PM
Jay Honeck

Sorry, Dan. It's 65 and CAVU here today -- for the fourth day in a row.

Of course, I'm stuck working -- so I'm not sure what's worse!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 6th 04, 05:04 AM
BTIZ

you can't fly with hard ground?
I know it makes grassy runways soft and muddy for a while..

BT

Old April 6th 04, 10:25 AM
Cub Driver

You can't fly while it's thawing, which takes some little time.

Frozen runway good, frost-free runway good. Thawing runway bad.

you can't fly with hard ground?
I know it makes grassy runways soft and muddy for a while..

BT

.. .

Old April 6th 04, 12:49 PM
Nathan Young

What is bad? Does the plane sink in more than normal? Difficult to
get traction?

Or is the issue that it tears up the runway...

-Nathan

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 05:25:44 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

You can't fly while it's thawing, which takes some little time.

Frozen runway good, frost-free runway good. Thawing runway bad.

you can't fly with hard ground?
I know it makes grassy runways soft and muddy for a while..

BT

. ..

Old April 6th 04, 01:09 PM
EDR

In article , Nathan Young
wrote:

What is bad? Does the plane sink in more than normal? Difficult to
get traction?
Or is the issue that it tears up the runway...

That little wheel in the back tends to act like a plow.
Old April 6th 04, 10:49 PM
Cub Driver

What is bad? Does the plane sink in more than normal? Difficult to
get traction?

Or is the issue that it tears up the runway...

When you have frozen subsoil and the sun thaws the surface, you have
slime which bespatters the airplane. Generally there are low spots,
where the water will gather and make a nice little swamp. And yes, the
turf gets destroyed in all this, and you're likely to end with wheel
ruts where you don't want them.

Right now it's looking pretty good. Lots of erosion in the middle, but
there's room to land & take off on either side of that.

Now if the wind would only die down (16 knots gusting to 23 this
afternoon).