IGC to replace FLARM ? ?

Old November 14th 18, 08:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IGC to replace FLARM ? ?

Such live tracking systems based on collision avoidance techology already exist for quite a while (Flightradar24, OGN). Since 2017 FLARM based OGN has been used more or less as the standard tracking tool on competitions in Europe. It has to be made sure that collision avoidance is not reduced due to this 2nd nature of FLARM.
Old November 14th 18, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

ADSB is not mandated in Europe. The CAA wanted to mandate SSR in UK but
this was sent down pending the development of low cost / low power ADSB.
This is now available from Uavionics at about £400. At that price I expect
a wide take up in the UK. Why wouldn't you want to know about spam cans,
CAT, drones, and helicopters as well as gliders and why would you want to
hide from ATC??

So in practice the rule makers for gliding competition cannot ban
conspicuity / situational awareness tools from the cockpit as this would
compromise safety. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle. As it was
with GPS etc.

It is possible to slow him down though. You write the rule that no data
(nor voice) is allowed from ground to cockpit and no data other than
required for SA / safety between pilots.

Yes, this is virtually impossible to police but if the penalty was a 5 year
ban from competition, it may still work.

Jim

Old November 14th 18, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RS[_3_]

Q: IGC to replace FLARM ? ?
A: No

Following a proposal last year from Germany, IGC and OGN have embarked on a multi-year project to preserve and enhance traffic awareness technology while making tactical tracking as difficult as possible. This will be tricky! Secondary benefits may include reduced costs and live scoring.
Old November 14th 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 8:55:19 AM UTC-5, RS wrote:
Q: IGC to replace FLARM ? ?
A: No

Following a proposal last year from Germany, IGC and OGN have embarked on a multi-year project to preserve and enhance traffic awareness technology while making tactical tracking as difficult as possible. This will be tricky! Secondary benefits may include reduced costs and live scoring.

Those are mutually exclusive goals. What I've been told is that FLARM use would be optional in IGC contests, while the separate, delayed, tracking devices would be required. Thus pilots who so desire could hide their location. Forcing the pilots to choose between safety and stealth is a bad idea, IMO.
Old November 21st 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 7:57:47 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 8:55:19 AM UTC-5, RS wrote:
Q: IGC to replace FLARM ? ?
A: No

Following a proposal last year from Germany, IGC and OGN have embarked on a multi-year project to preserve and enhance traffic awareness technology while making tactical tracking as difficult as possible. This will be tricky! Secondary benefits may include reduced costs and live scoring.

Those are mutually exclusive goals. What I've been told is that FLARM use would be optional in IGC contests, while the separate, delayed, tracking devices would be required. Thus pilots who so desire could hide their location. Forcing the pilots to choose between safety and stealth is a bad idea, IMO.

I hear you can choose to turn off Flarm, but you also have to switch to a pellet variometer and a paper map.

King Canute
9B
Old November 21st 18, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

LOL Andy, Maybe instead of low performance contests we should have "no electronics" contests instead! We might just get a few 1-26ers involved

CH
Old November 21st 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 7:09:55 AM UTC-8, wrote:
LOL Andy, Maybe instead of low performance contests we should have "no electronics" contests instead! We might just get a few 1-26ers involved

CH

Or maybe we have it all wrong. Maybe there should be no glider classes, and only classes for the different avionics toys allowed :-)
Old November 21st 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I believe we still have a pellet vario on the dash, I did a lot of contests and badges using a paper map and looking outside.......and cartridge film/instamatic cameras until I learned to develop my own film. I lost a badge flight due to that........way before dataloggers.
My advantage was a prototype electronic vario (with audio) from Raouf his own self after I crewed for him and his ASW-15 decades ago.