Discus 2a cockpit size

Old March 16th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen[_3_]

Default Discus 2a cockpit size

Who's the tallest person flying a discus 2a? Anyone over 6' tall
flying one? What's the comfort level for a 6 foot 1 inch person for
6+ hours?

Inquiring minds want to know. ....

Steve
Old March 16th 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 3/16/2010 3:09 PM, Stephen wrote:
Who's the tallest person flying a discus 2a? Anyone over 6' tall
flying one?What's the comfort level for a 6 foot 1 inch person for
6+ hours?

Do you have a really big shoehorn?

I have a Discus a, which has the same cockpit. I am 6', with a
relatively long torso and short legs for my height.

When I first got the plane, I couldn't close the canopy when wearing a
chute. However, I did fit OK without a chute.

After modifying the panel for higher knee cutouts, I am able to fly with
a chute. However, the panel went from small to really small. No
Clearnav in this glider!

I have the pedals all the way forward. My head is so close to the
canopy that I have difficulties turning my head to look to the side.
Looking up is almost impossible. After flying for an hour or two,
things seem to "settle" and I fit a little better. Also, my "shoulder
span" is 19", and the width of the cockpit is only 18".

You may fit better than me -- you really need to sit in one for a while
to see how you fit. I have a small pillow under my lumbar region --
this makes the fit tighter, but without the pillow my lower back was
unsupported and this created comfort problems.

My next glider will have a larger cockpit. I really can't think of any
reason to get an "a" cockpit unless you want to save money on the
purchase (my reason to get an "a"). The Discus a is a lot cheaper than
the Discus b, because racers have gone to the D2a and no one else wants
such a small cockpit. But I am not sure you will save much if anything
on the D2a since that still is a competitive racing ship.

Old March 16th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 16, 6:09*pm, Stephen wrote:
Who's the tallest person flying a discus 2a? * Anyone over 6' tall
flying one? *What's the comfort level for a 6 foot 1 inch person for
6+ hours?

Inquiring minds want to know. ....

Steve

I flew a Ventus 2a twice last year. I'm 6 feet even, a bit under
200#. Fairly 'normal' build but with somewhat wide shoulders from 30
years of competitive swimming. I fit okay. Never flew more than 4
hours, but that was fine. If it had been my own ship, would have
invested more in things like the perfect parachute, cockpit storage
for drinking water bags etc. I'm assuming the D2a cockpit is more or
less similar, only without the flappy thingy handle.

P3
Old March 16th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Mar 16, 4:09*pm, Stephen wrote:
Who's the tallest person flying a discus 2a? * Anyone over 6' tall
flying one? *What's the comfort level for a 6 foot 1 inch person for
6+ hours?

Inquiring minds want to know. ....

Steve

I doubt anyone over 5'11" fits in one well. Your weight will also
matter as well as shoulder width. If you are doing it to save money,
don't. If you do please don't fly near me. The "a" cockpit is great
for those it was designed for (5'10" and 180 pounds or less) but can
be dangerous for others. Anyone taller will be too far back in the
cockpit and too tight to look around well. The next generation (2Ca)
is better for taller pilots.

Tim (Ventus 2a, but also 5'9")
Old March 17th 10, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen[_3_]

On Mar 16, 6:58*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Mar 16, 4:09*pm, Stephen wrote:

Who's the tallest person flying a discus 2a? * Anyone over 6' tall
flying one? *What's the comfort level for a 6 foot 1 inch person for
6+ hours?

Inquiring minds want to know. ....

Steve

I doubt anyone over 5'11" fits in one well. Your weight will also
matter as well as shoulder width. If you are doing it to save money,
don't. If you do please don't fly near me. The "a" cockpit is great
for those it was designed for (5'10" and 180 pounds or less) but can
be dangerous for others. Anyone taller will be too far back in the
cockpit and too tight to look around well. *The next generation (2Ca)
is better for taller pilots.

Tim (Ventus 2a, but also 5'9")

Thank you for the comments. My shoulders are 19" across and with a
chute I come in around 190+lbs. I also like to fly 5+ hours as often
as possible so this ship may be too small for comfort. Although it
seems the d2a is still competitive in std class.
Steve
Old March 17th 10, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman[_3_]

Try "very" thin soled footwear. I wear swimmer's slip-ons. Socks
only if the soles of your feet can stand the pedal pressure. (Of
course always have real shoes in the glider "just in case").

Regards,

-Doug
Old March 17th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 16, 4:58*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
I doubt anyone over 5'11" fits in one well. Your weight will also
matter as well as shoulder width. If you are doing it to save money,
don't. If you do please don't fly near me. The "a" cockpit is great
for those it was designed for (5'10" and 180 pounds or less) but can
be dangerous for others. Anyone taller will be too far back in the
cockpit and too tight to look around well.

I'm glad to hear (see) someone else other than me making this point.

In my opinion if you cannot easily see back 45 deg behind your wing
tip your field of view is restricted to the point you may be a hazard
to yourself and others.

Andy

Old March 17th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

I am 5'-10", 160 #s, 19 inch soulders and love my 2A. I have several 6
hour flights. Wouldn't trade it for a 2B. I suggest you go and sit in
one.

Tim

On Mar 17, 12:23*am, Stephen wrote:
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -