Volkslogger - Shut off the memory warning buzzer?

Old July 23rd 03, 04:29 PM
BJen

Default Volkslogger - Shut off the memory warning buzzer?

I fly with the sample rate on my VL set to give me about 9+
hours of data recording. That's sufficient for two normal
flights, and I usually dump it after every flight. However,
the thing begins complaining about low memory when it has 8
hours left, and it keeps complaining every few minutes. It
beeps and puts a message on that interrupts the display I
want to see. A few weeks ago it beeped about memory just as
I hit a turn, and I missed the turn beeps. I've tried
turning off warnings, but I can't seem to get this annoyance
fixed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old July 23rd 03, 09:17 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Ah yes, the annoying beep for 'Only eight hours left!'
and this beeps every 256 seconds, or some such number.

This is the default setting for each time the recorder
is powered up.

To defeat the beeper, you can 'mash the buttons' and
kill that sucker. Let's see if I can do this from
memory (hah! I suffer from 'CRS')

Press (or mash, depends if you are an American living
above or below the Mason-Dixon Line) the top button
however many times it takes so the bottom line gives
you 'NAV INFO CFG1 CFG2' or something like that. You
need to select CFG1, I think. Then, select WRN (warnings),
Then select SND (sounds). Or maybe those two are backwards
(Lot of help, ain't I?) I believe at either SND or
WRN, you will find the selection for turning off the
annoying beeper.

It's there, you just have to find the proper key strokes.

Later, when I have a chance to sit down and play with
my Volkslogger, I could give you the exact steps.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina
(Down where we 'mash' buttons)

Old July 23rd 03, 09:43 PM
BJen

Ray Lovinggood wrote:

Ah yes, the annoying beep for 'Only eight hours left!'
and this beeps every 256 seconds, or some such number.

This is the default setting for each time the recorder
is powered up.

Are you saying that I need to kill this thing every time I
power up? I could swear I've turned off the warning beep in
the way you've described, but if it's resetting to default
on at every power up - then I may not have realized I was
correctly turning it off.
Old July 23rd 03, 11:46 PM
Greg Arnold

"BJen" wrote in message
Ray Lovinggood wrote:

Ah yes, the annoying beep for 'Only eight hours left!'
and this beeps every 256 seconds, or some such number.

This is the default setting for each time the recorder
is powered up.

Are you saying that I need to kill this thing every time I
power up? I could swear I've turned off the warning beep in
the way you've described, but if it's resetting to default
on at every power up - then I may not have realized I was
correctly turning it off.

Yep, every time you power up. If you have two batteries, and change during
flight, better do quickly or the beep will be back.

Old July 23rd 03, 11:53 PM
Jim Skydell

Yep, you have to do this each time. I pasted the sequence of keystrokes
needed to do so on the face of the logger. I have had some discussions
with Garrecht regarding changing this nuisance. I don't recall the
details of what was said, but they consider this a very important
feature, and have no intent to change it.
Old July 24th 03, 12:27 AM
Dave Nadler \YO\

You really do need to reset this warning every time it is
powered up. Garrecht says nobody ever complains about this,
so PLEASE everybody send him an email explaining how
stupid and annoying this is !
Best Regards, Dave

Old July 24th 03, 12:41 AM
Greg Arnold

"Dave Nadler "YO"" wrote in message
You really do need to reset this warning every time it is
powered up. Garrecht says nobody ever complains about this,
so PLEASE everybody send him an email explaining how
stupid and annoying this is !
Best Regards, Dave

It is the one bad feature of the VL (besides the incomprehensible menus).

Old July 24th 03, 01:23 AM
Mike Borgelt

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:29:59 -0400, BJen
wrote:

I fly with the sample rate on my VL set to give me about 9+
hours of data recording. That's sufficient for two normal
flights, and I usually dump it after every flight. However,
the thing begins complaining about low memory when it has 8
hours left, and it keeps complaining every few minutes. It
beeps and puts a message on that interrupts the display I
want to see. A few weeks ago it beeped about memory just as
I hit a turn, and I missed the turn beeps. I've tried
turning off warnings, but I can't seem to get this annoyance
fixed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Set the sample rate to one very 10 to 12 seconds or so. Even 20 isn't
unreasonable and this problem goes away. The sample rate automatically
increases in the OZ anyway. There is no really good reason to sample
more than 5 or 6 times a minute except in the OZ. Reduces download
time and file size too.

If this feature was permanently disabled people would complain about
running out of memory without warning and it has to be set for 8 hours
or so to capture 99% of flights which might be done with the warning
up.

Mike Borgelt

Borgelt Instruments
Old July 24th 03, 12:41 PM
Joe Simmers

Are you saying that I need to kill this thing every time I
power up?

I also have a volkslogger and find I must turn this off every time I fly, or
I get the annoying beeping, If anyone knows how to disconnect this beeping
another way I would like to know!

Joe Simmers
asw19b

Old July 24th 03, 12:56 PM
Owain Walters

Not as bad as running out of memory half way round
a badge or even worse a competition flight. I have
mine on 12 secs logging. It always takes a fix when
I get to the TP radius.

Change your sample rate to 12 or more. Your problem
will dissapear!