Canopy causes cockpit fire

Old May 10th 04, 04:19 PM
Eric Greenwell

JJ Sinclair wrote:

so if you leave
the glider for some time, you close the canopy and cover it.

In the cockpit fire that I know about, the soft cotton canopy cover was placed
over the instrument panels to keep them cool and the canopies were left open.
Not a good idea to leave any combustable material on the instrument panel, not
even your hat. Close the canopy and put the cover on is the best rule.
JJ Sinclair

Was it the cover that ignited? I use my cover, hat or towel, all white,
and they all stay cool, even with the canopy focused on them. Not so for
the black glare shield or instrument face.

Some people hang the cover over the back end of the open canopy to block
the sun's rays from hitting the cover in the first place. Works well as
long as it isn't windy.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 10th 04, 09:33 PM
JJ Sinclair

Was it the cover that ignited?

Yes, The open canopy struck a sharp focus on the instrument panel and ignited
the cotton canopy cover. By the time anyone knew it was happening, both
cockpits were on fire. The scene after the fire department was through was
nothing short of appalling. There were parachutes, instruments, seat cushons,
plexiglass, canopie rails, little sliding windows and stuff floating in
cockpits that were half full of water. It was hard to look at, even for a
veteran salvage bidder, like me. I figured the ASH-25 would be a steal at 20K,
about right for 30K and too much at 40K. It went for 38K.
BTW, the owner normally placed the canopy cover over the open canopies, but
decided to cover the instrument panel because it had blown off the day before.
Canopies closed and covered is the safest way to avoid this problem.
JJ Sinclair
Old May 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Eric Greenwell

JJ Sinclair wrote:
[...]

I guess I'll stop "protecting" the panel with the canopy cover! Covering
the canopy isn't neccessary, since there isn't any focusing through the
canopy, but it will keep the cockpit cooler.

I usually prefer to prop open the back of the canopy with a 2" foam
block to allow air circulation, but almost any prop will do. This is on
forward-hinged canopies that have quite a bit of closing force when
almost closed, not side-hinged canopies. I prefer it because my canopy
often isn't dust-free, so I'm concerned the cover will scratch the
canopy or the the dust will get into the cover; also, lots of times the
cover is back at the trailer.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 23rd 04, 03:27 PM
Pete Reinhart

Well,
Friday, at the end of the flight around % 0'clock on a sunny Central Texas
day I put my canopy on the ground and my Garmin GPS down beside it for not
more tha 15 minutes.
Now I've got black spot the size of a dime ont he screen.
Don't know what it's gonna cot to get fixed.
Be careful out there!
Cheers!, Pete (sun power believer now!)

"BllFs6" wrote in message
The focal ratio of my canopy is about 1 when it is reflecting light onto
my glare shield

okay,

thats a number I can play with...

whats the focal length or effective diameter?

take care

Blll

Antonov vs Galaxy cockpit Emilio Military Aviation 13 July 2nd 04 06:15 AM
"Friendly fire" Mike Naval Aviation 3 April 6th 04 06:07 PM
My Engine Fire!! [email protected] Piloting 21 April 2nd 04 05:02 PM
My Engine Fire!! [email protected] Owning 1 March 31st 04 01:41 PM
Redundant canopy latching John Soaring 5 March 16th 04 12:50 PM