CBS News- Small Airport Security 1/14 Wed

Old January 15th 04, 11:38 PM
Dave Hyde

C J Campbell wrote:

My advice: never talk to a reporter. Never cooperate.

So you'll turn your back when someone from "AOPA Pilot"
or "Sport Aviation" wants to talk to you? Should
Phil Boyer follow this advice as well and not rebut
hatchet jobs? No letters to editors either?
Maybe we shouldn't post here either?

I'm no big fan of mainstream media (and I have on
occasion attempted to disrupt local news crews g),
but I recognize that there are times when potentially good
reports can turn bad when the community clams up.

Dave 'knee-jerk' Hyde

Old January 16th 04, 03:37 AM
RobertR237

In article , John Ousterhout
writes:

If you don't like the US media here perhaps you'd prefer the Red
Chinese media :-)

Compared to the others, ours is great.

- John (grading on the curve) Ousterhout -

No, just a choice of bad or worse.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old January 16th 04, 03:37 AM
RobertR237

In article , "AL"
writes:

Your standards are too low, John. After ZZZZZZZOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM though, I can
understand you thinking that the REST of American media is pretty tame. We
must never succumb to the easy way out engendered by accepting the
unacceptable just because it's the best there is.

--

Just remember, their coverage of other topics is no better than it was about
small airport security. We have been sold a bill of goods by our media for a

Old January 16th 04, 01:46 PM
Eric Miller

"RobertR237" wrote in message
Just remember, their coverage of other topics is no better than it was

about
small airport security. We have been sold a bill of goods by our media

for a
long time and it is not getting better, only worse.

Couldn't agree more, Bob.

Whenever the media covers something I *know* about, they invariably get
wrong.
Sometimes a little wrong, sometimes a lot wrong, but always wrong.
Which makes me doubt the accuracy of their coverage of things I'm not as
well versed in.

Eric

Old January 16th 04, 03:02 PM
E. B. White

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news |

| I watched the hit piece. IMHO, the Eagle's Nest people got taken -- they
| probably invited CBS in, hoping that they would make a feature putting
| the "threat" into perspective.

Shows like "60 Minutes" thrive on this kind of optimism. They tell their
victims "We can do this with you or without you, but if you cooperate you
will get to tell your side of the story." Sure you do. They just won't air
the part that tells your side of the story. And yet people still think after
years of this nonsense that they can still beat the network smear goons at
their own game. Just goes to show there is a sucker born every minute.

....or, in the apparent case of 60 Minutes II reporter Bob Simon, you
do a piece on white collar crime, specifically wire fraud, computer
crimes, identity theft, using EBay to move "hot merchandise" ad
nauseum, telling the world (or at least the 60 Minutes II audience)
how bad these people are and how easy it is to commit these crimes.
THEN, you apparently provide bail and pay for the best (and highest
priced) attorney in Phoenix who specializes in defending people
accused of those types of crimes(Tim Eckstein of the firm of Osborn
Maledon) because YOUR BROTHER, Tom Simon, was arrested, after a high
speed chase which ended in a crash on 5 November 2003, for the very
things you "exposed" on 60 Minutes.

FMI on Tom Simon: http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...=CR2003-026367

and

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...=CR2003-024607

I wonder if Mr. Orr has a brother who flies?

EBW
Old January 16th 04, 03:14 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:00:33 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

It apparently is no more accurate. What is so great about it? Why does the
choice have to be between US media idiots and the Chinese? Why can't we have
responsible news media and let the commies do whatever they want with
theirs?

My understanding: TV news shows are now just parts of TV
conglomerates. They aren't really news shows anymore, they must
compete with other non news shows for a share of the TV audience. In
other words, the news programs that were once staffed by the likes of
pioneers Edward R. Morrow, Walter Cronkite, and Eric Severide, who
were news journalists, are now competing with Fear Factor,
Bachelorette and the Jerry Springer show for audience share.

They are considered by their owners to be another form of TV
entertainment that must do it's part to draw viewers.

So the more interesting the story, the bigger the audience share.
That's why they now announce news stories ahead of time: "tune in
tomorrow for our piece on small airports, it will shock you!"

It's also why the TV news always seems so sensational. "We go now to
our intrepid reporter Biff Power who is reporting in the path of a
raging tornado the size and power of which DWARF's all tornados in the
history of the world." "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

Corky Scott

PS, wonder if Morrow worried about audience share?
Old January 16th 04, 04:37 PM
Richard Isakson

Wait 'til the press finds out that little airplanes don't really need
airports. There are millions of cow pastures across america that a plane
can land in and load all sorts of evil. Tom Ridge will be doing body cavity
searches on every cow he can find.

And you wondered where mad cows come from.

Rich

Old January 16th 04, 11:19 PM
RobertR237

In article om, "Blueskies"
writes:

Kind of like the presidential candidates...all of them.

--
Dan D.

I would agree with that statement 100 %.

Old January 17th 04, 01:55 AM
andy asberry

wrote:

[...]

Our local paper is no better. Just last week, an article stated the
suspect was being held in county jail on $50,000 bond. Efforts to
reach him at his residence were unsuccessful. No joke. He must be
ducking the press!
Very next sentence; "Calls to his attorney went unanswered". Duh, it's
Saturday.