I got buzzed!!!

Old October 30th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

Default I got buzzed!!!

"Kingfish" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Most of the actual sound the ear picks up from an airplane is caused by
the
prop. In the case of the Mustang, with a Hamilton Standard propeller, you
have a prop with an 11 foot 2 inch diameter. Naturally a prop this size
has
a tip speed problem so in a stock Merlin its geared down to a .491:1
through
a reduction gear to the engine RPM. At 3000 RPM , the prop is actually
rotating at 1473RPM. Its mostly the sound the prop makes as it works the
air
coupled with the exhaust tuning through the tubes that gives the 51 its
distinctive sound. There's also a contribution through the radiator that
adds just a "touch" to the mix.
My conception has always been that its a moaning sound; sort of like a
low
pitched moaning wail.
Dudley

I've only heard a Mustang flyby once and it was memorable. I went to
the Corsairs over Connecticut roundup last year and heard a few low
passes by a 4-ship that gave me goosebumps. Gotta love round engines.
The owner of my company flew P-51s in WW2 based at Martlesham Heath.
They'd transitioned from the P-47s (early D models with the razorback
canopy) to the -51 and their type training consisted of a copy of the
AFM and a few spins around the patch and they were mission qual'd.
Yikes.

There's always room at the table for the round engines :-) I have to say
that flying the F8F had its moments for me as well.
As to checkouts in single engine fighters; you're right; if you're lucky, as
I was, you get some time in a T6 flying it from both the front and the back
seats to get used to the visual cues around the nose during taxiing,
takeoff, and landings. Then you take the Dash-1 home and read it from cover
to cover, then you climb in and go for it! :-)
Dudley Henriques

Old October 30th 06, 03:03 PM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

I was taxiing to depart from John Tune (Nashville, TN) last year when a beautiful P51 landed and turned onto the taxiway directly in front of me. I have never before or since been so aware of the paltry limits of my insurance coverage.

A few months ago I was with a group flying gliders for a week at Uvalde. A fellow who runs a Citation mod business on the airport has another beautifully restored P51. One morning they were repositioning the plane. The fellow driving the tug stopped her along side us and let us walk around up close and drool. I noticed that painted on the nose was "Glamorous Glen". I asked the tug driver if this had been Yeager's plane or was just painted that way. He replied, "Mark and the General were hunting down around Encinal last year. When he heard that Mark had bought a Mustang he told him he should paint it up this way."

How cool would that be?

V7
Old October 30th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nrp

Max goosebumps for me was listening to quiet rumble of an idling B-24
next to me at Oshkosh - but it was all spoiled when some damn F-??
started a takeoff roll. Sacreligious!.

Old October 30th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Baker

Yeager's X-1 was called " Glamourous Glennis" after his wife. Not
"Glen", as mentioned below.

John Baker

Old October 31st 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tater

Skywise wrote:

I can only image what those on the receiving end of a strafing
run must have felt when they heard the howl of that plane
bearing down upon them.

I dont need to imagine

was with my uncle and dad in the pickup exploring logging roads in the
wisconsin Falls MOA arispace when some SOB decided it would be fun to
practice a straffing run at a ground vehicle.

ok, If it was me, i would have done the same thing, so I guess he wasnt
a SOB

Parents live in the Falls MOA and have seen lots of stuff fly overhead.
c130s refueling overhead. F14 and A10s in dogfights. seeing the tops of
fighter jets while they were airborne (fairly hilly area, with jets
doing NOE flight)

Old October 31st 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_1_]

I've had the opportunity to do low level flight as well as air to air and
air to ground training in the Falls MOA in F-16's.

There's nothing like hearing that 20mm Vulcan cannon going off a few feet
from your head! Of course, most of the air to air training consists of
missile launches beyond visual range, but there's also nothing like air to
air combat on the merge. Pulling sustained 8-9g turns while trying to
maintain visual contact with closure rates of over 1,000 knots- talk about
getting a sore neck!

Old October 31st 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:48:55 -0500, John Baker
wrote:

Yeager's X-1 was called " Glamourous Glennis" after his wife. Not
"Glen", as mentioned below.

You are correct, but nobody said anything about the X-1. The P-51
Yeager flew in the war WAS marked "Glamourous Glen", not "Glennis".

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Always keep clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.
Old October 31st 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Skywise" wrote

Now, I'm on a Harley with helmet and earplugs and I still
heard this thing coming up behind me.

I can only image what those on the receiving end of a strafing
run must have felt when they heard the howl of that plane
bearing down upon them.

Don't forget that what you heard was a good bit more mild, than when they were
doing that in "the big war."

Then, they had real 140 octane gas, ran the supercharger at a lot higher
settings, and didn't care if they burned out the engine frequently. Another was
waiting to be put in, any time it was needed.

I would really love to hear a maximum boost and high RPM takeoff, and "really"
wide open low pass. That must really be something!
--
Jim in NC

Old October 31st 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bela P. Havasreti

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:53:40 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Skywise" wrote

Now, I'm on a Harley with helmet and earplugs and I still
heard this thing coming up behind me.

I can only image what those on the receiving end of a strafing
run must have felt when they heard the howl of that plane
bearing down upon them.

Don't forget that what you heard was a good bit more mild, than when they were
doing that in "the big war."

Then, they had real 140 octane gas, ran the supercharger at a lot higher
settings, and didn't care if they burned out the engine frequently. Another was
waiting to be put in, any time it was needed.

I would really love to hear a maximum boost and high RPM takeoff, and "really"
wide open low pass. That must really be something!

Go to the Reno Air Races, and at least in the Gold heats, you'll hear
Mustangs/Merlins pulling up to 140+ inches of manifold pressure (more
than double the original war emergency maximum power rating and
approaching triple the maximum manifold pressure allowable with 100LL
fuel).

Bela P. Havasreti
Old November 1st 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Bela P. Havasreti wrote:
Go to the Reno Air Races, and at least in the Gold heats, you'll hear
Mustangs/Merlins pulling up to 140+ inches of manifold pressure (more
than double the original war emergency maximum power rating and
approaching triple the maximum manifold pressure allowable with 100LL
fuel).

I'm guessing with that kind of boost, they're running something a
little hotter than avgas : ) Otherwise, the CC would be picking up
pieces of Merlin after each run? I read Rare Bear uses specially mixed
160 octane fuel.

Buzzed? Mike Granby Piloting 81 April 28th 06 12:35 AM
Buzzed? Mike Granby Instrument Flight Rules 59 April 25th 06 03:28 PM
A4 just buzzed Mangere Airport Jeremy Thomson Military Aviation 3 July 10th 03 04:27 PM