FLARM abuse in competitions

Old February 8th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FLARM abuse in competitions

To prevent abuse of the received data in competitions (which is an IGC
requirement) FLARM has since 2004 included a "Privacy" mode where not
all the received information is forwarded to the serial dataport and
therefore is never available to external, graphical displays or PDA's.
The *internal* threat calculations always use the full dataset.

For the mandatory 2008 update, "Privacy" mode is further refined with
the following goals:
- Discourage temporary turning off of FLARM during competitions
- Discourage use of "Privacy" mode outside competitions

Modification for the mandatory, scheduled 2008 update:
The guiding principle is that the pilot will not receive more
information than what is visually available anyway.

1) Rename to "Stealth mode" as this better describes the purpose and
operation. Heavily promote its non-usage and explain it to key
users.

2) The status and any changes of the "Stealth mode" is recorded in the
IGC file as an L-record (LFLA STEALTH [ON / OFF]) and is therefore
protected by the G-record. Consequently a competition authority can
easily
enforce the use (or non use) if desired.

3) Changes to "Stealth mode" during flight are delayed by five
minutes.

4) Full reciprocity: A pilot that enables "Stealth mode" will get the
information
as if all other aircraft had enabled "Stealth mode", independent of
their actual setting.

5) If FLARM is power cycled during flight, other aircraft are treated
as if in
"Stealth mode" for the first five minutes, independent of their
actual setting.

6) Targets with enabled "Stealth Mode" are only displayed in NEAREST
and
are available on the Dataport as a PFLAA message if they meet at
least
ONE of the following requirements:
- Target is a threat
- Target is within 100m horizontal / 50m vertical
- Target is within 1000m horizontal / 200m vertical and within
+-45° of own flight direction

7) If a PFLAA message is issued according to the rules above, all
fields in Italic are empty:

PFLAA,AlarmLevel,RelativeNorth,RelativeEast, RelativeVertical,IDType,ID,Track,
TurnRate,GroundSpeed,ClimbRate,AcftType

8) RelativeVertical degraded with (distance / 50) white noise when
other aircraft is not a threat.

Please comment.

THE FINAL V4.0 VERSION MAY BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY (based on your
comments).
CHECK RELEASE NOTES AND MANUAL!

Urs - FLARM
Old February 8th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Urs,

I am looking forward to meeting you next week.

The new features makes sense to me and are very impressive.

Keep up the good work.

Paul Remde

Old February 8th 08, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Huber

Urs,

as a non - competition pilot I don´t want to be in stealth mode for five
minutes when power is cycled. I never ever want to be in stealth mode! From
personal experience, if a group of pilots flying a competition approach me,
I would like to know as early as possible to be able to stay clear of them.

May I suggest to completely drop the "stealth mode" concept and only limit
information available on the serial port, when a "competition" mode ist
selected. You could record the status of the "competition" flag in the IGC
file, and whoever deselects it during competition could be penalized.

I understand one could cheat by installing a secret second FLARM unit in the
glider, but for the majority of FLARM users there would be an advantage
IMHO.

Michael

Old February 8th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hans

5) If FLARM is power cycled during flight, other aircraft are treated
as if in
"Stealth mode" for the first five minutes, independent of their
actual setting.

Hi Urs!

please do it only, if the disruption of power is longer than the time to
switch batteries.

Best Regards

Hans
Old February 9th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL

Pardon the commercial folks, but we want to communicate with hundreds of
new subscribers to Gliding International and advise them that issue two
goes to press next week. Unfortunately we failed to advise them all that
they can have free classified advertising as a member subscriber. Just
email us through our web page https://www.glidinginternational.com/

This coming issue has a wealth of new news:

1. New battery patents that will give sailplane batteries 20 times their
existing storage.

2. New electric powered side by side two seater completes it test program.

3. The World membership report for 2007 will be completed in time for
publication.

4. Complete run down on the World Final of the Grand Prix at Omarama, New
Zealand

5. Gliding in Chile - and a report on probably the wealthiest club in the
world.

6. The history of the ³Check List²

Plus 52 other stories from all corners of the globe.

JOHN ROAKE

Old February 9th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I received the first issue and was very impressed. In fact, I liked it so
much that I purchased full page, full color ads in it for a year.

I will be selling subscriptions at the SSA Convention for $52.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old February 9th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 9 Feb, 05:53, "Paul Remde" wrote:

I received the first issue and was very impressed. In fact, I liked it so
much that I purchased full page, full color ads in it for a year.

Hmm. I've seen a couple of new gliding magazines come ... and go.
Always with a good first issue (all the stuff the editor has been
thinking of for years) and even with a few reasonable ones after that.
Then the ideas flag and it's back to "Derek Piggott Takes A Fresh
Look At Winch Launching" and you know it's only a matter of time.

That said, I used to get "Gliding Kiwi" passed on to me, and it was
far, far better than S&G, so John Roake has good form in the field.
Perhaps this one will buck the trend ...

Ian
Old February 10th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Huber

Why would you ever need to re-cycle it during flight?

It could re-cycle while switching batteries. I might want to shut down all
avionics for a few seconds while pressing the starter button of the engine
to avoid spikes on the avionic power bus.

Also, as I understand it, Stealth mode is only applied to the data port,
FLARM warning from the FLARM unit are not impaired.

Imagine a gaggle of competition pilots approaching your position. Based on
experience I want to stay clear of them, when the warning comes up, it´s too
late already.

What´s the problem, if the only difference between "stealth" and "normal"
operation is the output of the data port? During a competition "stealth" has
to be seleced by the competitors, and the setting is recorded in the IGC
file. The contest director can check the required setting after flight, and
all competition traffic is visible to non competing pilots as soon as
possible.

Michael

Old February 11th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stevehaley

I would actually like to see a 3rd mode here (on as default) to
suppress the altitude of all aircraft not in conflict from being sent
down the serial dataport.
The rational is quite simple in that it will kill the new trend to
displaying climb rates which has absolutely nothing to do with
colission avoidence and will only ecourage eyes to be pulled into the
cockpit which is surely counter to the raison d'etre of FLARM.

One of the primary skills (and possibly the most important) in our
sport is the location and centering of the strongest available
thermals. The new displays will errode the advantage that the more
skillfull pilots have over the average joes and that is wrong. Yes I
know we have already adopted a lot of other technology in the cockpit
but most of that has been out of necessity or evolution of existing
technology. For example it is now almost impossibel to fly in south
england withpout a moving map display due to the complexity of the
airspace (some of the coridors being on 5-10k wide and the large no of
parachute drop zones matz etc. That aside none of these aids leach off
other pilots in the way that the new climb rate displays do .

Thus my plea for you to stop providing the information that these
devices depend on to show this information. Another alternative would
be to blank the altitude of anything 1k and not in conflict although
that does nothing to stop people looking at these displays in the same
thermal to compare climb rates and thus not looking out the window.

If you created a 3rd mode that had to be actively turned on by pilots
to share their climb rates then I wonder how many pilots would choose
to turn it on...

I know this will be contentious but I truly feel that this is a step
too far even if it is affordable due to the skill errosion of one of
the most fundamental aspects of our sport. This apart from the fact
that pilots eyes will be ecouraged into the cockpit potentially while
in close proximity to other gliders.

rgds
Stephen

Old February 11th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 10, 4:01*pm, stevehaley wrote:
I would actually like to see a 3rd mode here (on as default) to
suppress the altitude of all aircraft not in conflict from being sent
down the serial dataport.

See item # 8:
8) RelativeVertical degraded with (distance / 50) white noise when
other aircraft is not a threat.

Therefore a glider in 1 km distance (with enabled Stealth mode) will
have a 20m altitude error added (changing randomly every second).
This should make climb rate displays less usefull than looking outside
and judging the other glider's climb rate conventionally.

Thus my plea for you to stop providing the information that these
devices depend on to show this information. *Another alternative would
be to blank the altitude of anything 1k

This has been taken care of, as no information about (non conflicting,
stealth mode) aircraft 1 km away is provided at all.
See item #6

Urs - FLARM