OSH '04 -- Best ever?

Old August 5th 04, 07:46 PM
Jim Weir

Default OSH '04 -- Best ever?

Comin' home.

Jim

"Rich S."

-
-Were you going to OSH or on your way home?
-
-Rich S.
-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 5th 04, 08:06 PM
Jack Allison

1. Gail went to Oshkosh in a $50,000 Cessna 182 and returned home in a $450,000
Greyhound.

Hmmm, sounds like a good ROI to me...then again, turning an airplane
into a bus isn't exactly the right direction :-)

Agreed that the folks at Rawlins are great. Last year, that was our
spot to stay for the night. They'd just re-paved (and added, I think)
to the ramp area. Unfortunately, the construction guys pulled the tie
down anchors a few days prior. It took some time but the guy at La
France rounded up the construction folks and they strung a few cables.
By that time, we'd opted to field test our brand new OSH tie down
anchors (made straight from the website).

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old August 7th 04, 03:40 PM
Jerry Kurata

Wow!

When did this happen? I probably flew right over the area on Monday Aug 5th
on the way back from OSH.

jerry

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Well, kids, I learned a few lessons from this Oshkosh that the previous 31
hadn't taught me...

1. Gail went to Oshkosh in a $50,000 Cessna 182 and returned home in a

$450,000
Greyhound.

2. A cylinder with less than 300 hours on it since the best engine shop

in
Northern California inspected, overhauled, chromed, then replaced all

moving
parts with new CAN and WILL crack in two with absolutely no forewarning.

3. Oil pours out of a cracked cylinder at a fairly rapid rate.

Fortunately,
the engine shakes so hard that it isn't rocket science to figure that you

have
to shut the sucker off before all the oil blows out the hole.

4. Hanna WY may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from

there.

5. There are no airports on the Continental Divide between Medicine Bow

and
Rawlins WY, a distance of some 50 miles. Hanna is roughly halfway between

the
two.

6. God bless the kids of Hanna, who took the old dirt strip that had been

there
thirty years ago and maintained it as a mile-long drag strip at 7000 MSL.

The
cows on the runway are a particularly bucolic touch.

7. It is possible to do a field removal and replacement of a cylinder

with
little more than a bent screwdriver and a busted crescent wrench borrowed

from a
mechanic in Rawlins. (Well, that and cylinder base wrenches and a torque
wrench...but damned little else.) It takes three full days out in the

field to
change a jug...one day to pull all the small baffle-induction-exhaust

parts, one
day to pull the jug itself and take it back to the shop, and one day to
reinstall a serviceable jug. Some day I'm going to meet the b@$!@&d at
Continental that designed the pushrod tubes and "discuss" the design with

him.

8. It makes it a little more difficult when the wind blows at a steady

twenty
to thirty knots and you are out in the open field for three days doing

this
operation, but it builds character. You know the work day is over when

the late
afternoon thunderstorm is bouncing the airplane around to the point where

the
wrench won't stay on the nut. Besides, on the top of the highest point

for
twenty miles in any direction in an open field during a thunderstorm is

.... ummm
... interesting.

9. It is also interesting to drive the old airport beater diesel truck

the 40
miles of mountain roads from Rawlins to Hanna only to find that you left

the
7/8" spark plug wrench on the workbench in Rawlins.

10. This world has some absolutely wonderful people in it. In no

particular
order they a

Kevin and Roxy Bell, Zacharia and Stephanie. Owners of Hanna
Unintentional Airport. They came out at least once a day to see if there

was
anything they could do or help with.

Deputy Sheriff Jack Lowrance (interesting last name, eh? ... aren't
coincidences God's little jokes?). Drove us from Hanna to Rawlins and

wouldn't
leave until we had all our stuff arranged and taken care of.

Dwight and ?Bonnie? France, France Flying Service, Rawlins WY. Loaned
us the airport truck, let us pester the mechanic, ordered our cylinder,

and
charged us practically nothing for the trouble except the actual cost of

the
parts.

Bill the Mechanic, FFS, Rawlins WY. Loaned us any tool we wanted, no
questions asked, let me use the Continental Overhaul manual, and

alternately
patted me on the back and kicked my butt until the job got done.

Dave Winder, Mechanic In Training, FFS, Rawlins WY. Mechanic in
training only because he is six months short of the 30 months necessary to

take
the A&P exam. If anybody in this ng, ANYBODY wants a mechanic that knows

more
about airplanes than 99% of the mechanics in the world, works his ass off

under
conditions that most of us would sit around waiting for better times, and

in
general is one hell of a worker, I'm sure David would appreciate hearing

from
you. From scratch, Dave and I started at 1 pm to replace the cylinder,

and by 4
pm we had it run up, cowled, and ready to depart. Remember, this is out

in the
TALL tules under primitive conditions, with only the tools we remembered

take.

If you EVER meet ANY of these folks, I'd appreciate it if you would give

them my
regards and buy them a beer for me. They are what makes aviation go.

Anyway, 2004 was an Oshkosh that will go into my scrapbook for a long,

long
time.

Good to be back home.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old August 8th 04, 04:27 PM
Big John

And saved millions by post war estimates, if an invasion had been
required.

On a cost benifit ratio he ranks pretty high because of the one
mission.

Out of Hospital and recovering from heart work so mostly lurking.

Big John
On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:47:29 GMT, Martin Hotze
wrote:

---clip---

He did his job back then. If not he than somebody else would have done
the "job". "He" might have saved your life, but "he" sure destroyed
others'.

f-up2poster, OT.

Old August 9th 04, 08:22 AM
Jack

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Martin simply pointed out that the two A-boms used in earnest
so far killed A LOT of people. That seems to be easily forgotten
by some when the heroes are sung the way they were here.

No one forgets. But neither you nor Martin has shown us why we should
consider the casualties of those two bombs as any more regrettable than
the hundreds of thousands caused by Japanese invasions of their
neighbors. If it required a great many Japanese lives to right the
balance and end the war, then so be it. American lives and Japanese
lives were saved. If that is not enough for you, it is enough for me.

Indeed, the result of the use of the Atom bombs was doubtless to allow a
generation of both Japanese and Americans to be born into this world who
would otherwise have had no fathers. The tool which allows an early end
to a devastating conflict is desirable. The reluctance to fight and win
in as short a time as possible only increases the total of human suffering.

Do not make the mistake of believing that we celebrate the use of the
bombs. War is terrible enough without such purposeful ignorance of it's
true character. We celebrate the dedication of the men who took such a
great burden upon themselves in order to give us victory and a peace to
be shared with both our allies and our former enemies. The most
important thing about Atomic weapons is not so much that they were once
demonstrated, but that their use has since been avoided. To destroy vast
numbers of lives is monstrous whether by bayonet or by bomb, but to
abhor the means of war instead of decrying its causes is foolishness.

Have you considered lately how many of mine you would be willing to
sacrifice in order to save an equal or greater number of your own, and
by what methods you would be willing to make such an exchange? The
subject deserves a great deal more thought than most of us have given it.

Jack
Old August 9th 04, 12:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jack,

But neither you nor Martin has shown us why we should
consider the casualties of those two bombs as any more regrettable than
the hundreds of thousands caused by Japanese invasions of their
neighbors.

Neither Martin nor I have asked you to consider that, so why should we
explain WHY you should consider that?

The
subject deserves a great deal more thought than most of us have given

it.

I fully agree.

Something you didn't mention in your post is that I think the bombs in
Hiroshima and Nagasaki may well have prevented WW 3, too, since the
"powers that be" (on both sides) would have been much more willing to
press the red button during the height of the cold war had they not fully
seen what their weapons could do.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 9th 04, 02:34 PM
John Ousterhout

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 09:08:28 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

31 July 2004 (Saturday) at approximately 1400MDT the engine said, "I don't like
you any more." Landed at Hanna Unintentional Drag Strip. Sheriff motored me
into Rawlins where I bummed a phillips screwdriver and crescent wrench from Bill
The Mechanic (hell of a nice guy). Took the beater diesel airport truck back
out to the airplane to prowl around and see what I could find. It got dark
before I got too far.

Sunday put Gail on the bus at 11 and then motored out to the airplane. Tore off
the cowling to find out what was wrong. Found a crack in the #3 jug immediately
(oil all over the place). Tore off all the peripherals (baffling, straps, etc.)
that you could get with a screwdriver and crescent wrench -literally-. Quit
during the 1800MDT thunderstorm and went back to the motel.

Monday went out bright and early with cylinder base wrenches and other "real"
tools and tore off the jug. Brought it back to Rawlins where we measured the
defect and got on the horn to Firewall Forward in Colorado. They had a used
serviceable jug and piston/rings that they put on UPS-Next Day. I took a gallon
of solvent and went back to the field to clean up the oily and greasy small
parts mess.

Somewhat late Tuesday morning the jug got to Rawlins on the lawnmower.
David-Mechanic-In-Training and I got to the airplane by 1 and by 5 I departed
Hanna and had the airplane back in Rawlins for another post-operation
inspection.

Wednesday morning launched Rawlins, stopped in Elko for fuel, and to Grass
Valley by mid-afternoon.

Good thing you had an A&P with you. :-)

Welcome back.

- J.O.-

Old August 9th 04, 04:22 PM
Tom S.

"Newps" wrote in message
news

Tom S. wrote:

It's questionable that they really learned any lessons at all.

I think they learned. They haven't elected any Hitler types since.

No...but I vaguely recall some polls in Germany a few years back that showed
Hitler still had quite a bit of "popularity". I also understand that
neo-fascism and anti-Semitism are becoming a bit of a problem throughout
Europe (again). They may call it by new names, but Communism/Fascism is
definitely NOT dead in Europe

Old August 9th 04, 04:35 PM
Rich S.

"John Ousterhout" wrote in message

Good thing you had an A&P with you. :-)

He didn't need one, JO. He was still 6813' ASL, carrying out emergency
mid-flight repairs.

Rich "Get high in Wyoming" S.

Old August 9th 04, 05:24 PM
Jim Weir

If anybody has access to a topo map of this area and can pick off the eastern
end altitude of this runway, I'd certainly appreciate it. The runway is
approximately 5 miles south of Hanna WY, 2 miles south of the highway junction
of the road to Elk Mountain and the road to Medicine Bow, both of which
intercept I-80 at their southern end.

I'm gonna make those nice folks in Hanna a sign for Hanna Unintentional Airport.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com