OSH '04 -- Best ever?

Old August 9th 04, 06:05 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Weir" wrote in message

If anybody has access to a topo map of this area and can pick off the

eastern
end altitude of this runway, I'd certainly appreciate it. The runway is
approximately 5 miles south of Hanna WY, 2 miles south of the highway

junction
of the road to Elk Mountain and the road to Medicine Bow, both of which
intercept I-80 at their southern end.

I'm gonna make those nice folks in Hanna a sign for Hanna Unintentional

Airport.

I don't have a topographic map of this area, but I do have a lot of old
sectionals. Hanna Airport appears on the Cheyenne sectional dated March 12,
1987. The field elevation is shown as 7100'.

Old August 9th 04, 06:40 PM
Jon Woellhaf

Jim,

My Garmin MapSource Topo USA CD shows an "Airport Runway" which would be
identified as 6-24, 1.9 miles southeast of the junction of US 287 and Hwy
72. It's about 3.3 miles southeast of Hanna. The runway crosses the 7087
contour line several times, with the western end right on the line and the
eastern end a little lower. Interpolating, probably half way between 7087
and 7021 or about 7050 feet.

Jon

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
If anybody has access to a topo map of this area and can pick off the

eastern
end altitude of this runway, I'd certainly appreciate it. The runway is
approximately 5 miles south of Hanna WY, 2 miles south of the highway

junction
of the road to Elk Mountain and the road to Medicine Bow, both of which
intercept I-80 at their southern end.

I'm gonna make those nice folks in Hanna a sign for Hanna Unintentional

Airport.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old August 9th 04, 07:21 PM
Jim Weir

Thank you all for the Hanna airport info. Combining data from all three of the
sources I was given says the following:

Hanna Unintentional Airport
Bell Field
Elevation - 7083
Runway - 06-24 gravel/weeds
Latitude - 41°49'49.8" (41.8305°)
Longitude - 106°32'02.8" (106.5341°)

That oughta be enough for a 2' x 4' sign, don'cha think?

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 9th 04, 09:11 PM
Jon Woellhaf

I love that name, "Hanna Unintentional Airport!"

A couple years ago I was on a helicopter ride east of Price, UT and we flew
by a runway like the one in Hanna that's identified on the MapSource topo as
"Interplanetary Airport."

Old August 9th 04, 11:04 PM
Jon Woellhaf

Nope, Interplanetary is about 26 statute miles northeast of Price Carbon
County (KPUC), UT.

I guess "Intergalactic" trumps Interplanetary. On my topo it's identified as
"Gtr Green River Intergalactic" -- so as not to be confused with Lesser
Green River Intergalactic, I suppose.

Old August 15th 04, 06:24 PM
Big John

Jay

Had Afib (flutter) in upper chanber that they worked on. Am still
having problems in recovery so not sure what next move is (

Put a new pacemaker (two lead) in to replace my old one lead.

Guess will just have to wait and see? I feel worse now than before I
started.

Big john (down but not out yet) (

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:49:42 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

----clip----

Out of Hospital and recovering from heart work so mostly lurking.

Uh oh. Whassup with that, Big John?

Old August 15th 04, 06:51 PM
Big John

Martin

Guess you would rather be speaking Japanese today?

Japan was almost ready to invade Australia when the US sent troops,
planes and ships and stopped them along with the Australian forces who
participate in WWII in the Pacific in a very heroic manner. Those I
fought with were first class 'blokes'.

Australian forces would also have participated in the Invasion. If it
had taken place. your Country would have lost many more of its young
men. Could have set you back a generation according to some histories
I have read.

We have been the "Ugly Americans" for years and now that we are top
dog we still take many of the 'pin pricks' leveled against us. However
poke the bear and wake him up in the middle of winter, we can say
enough is enough and get rough with the pin pricker's. When we do
don't fault us for being stupid.

We still have to turn back thousands trying to get in the country and
I wonder if they think we are such a bad country. If we closed our
borders there would be a out cry from the rest of the world about our
protectionist policies.

Some time you can't win for trying.

Big John (Only running on 7 cylinders due to heart)
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 20:11:25 GMT, Martin Hotze
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:49:42 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

It would seem that Martin believes that the Japanese would have met us with
cherry blossoms on the beaches had we not dropped the Bomb... Must be
those Austrian history books...

[.. doubting that you know very much of outside US, but anyway ...] it was
OT, so I have set a follow up to poster. damn! get a clue!
the bomb was maybe a smart solution for you (Americans), but I doubt that
many others see it as smart as you do.
mabye *we* have learned from wars (we fought too many), it seems that you
are still happy going to war and shipping bodies back to their families.
!"/&$(/&%$$§%"$§!!!!

#m
f-up2poster, again.

Old August 15th 04, 07:18 PM
Big John

Jack

I'll use your post to add a few more comments.

The fire bombing of Tokyo killed on the same order as the A bomb's. No
one ever talks about that any more. When I drove through Tokyo there
were sections as far as I could see of just small blocks of cement
sticking out of the ground. These had been used as foundations for the
rice paper houses built on them. NOTHIING THERE, ALL GONE.

Go read the eye witness accounts of the fire storms that took place
and the bodies piled in the rivers/canals as people tried to escape
the horrendous fires.

War is hell but as has been said, the quicker it is finished the less
loss of live takes place (on both sides).

On the sacrifice of a few to save many. Read all the time about a
'grunt' who dives on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers in the fox
hole.

Also the "Golly Green Giant' rescue helicopters. It is well documented
that they went on missions to save a downed flier and lost several
choppers and a dozen pilots and crew trying to save just one
individual.

As a last. It sounds like the original poster of this trivia is a
blind Kerry supporter? To bad he is not a citizen and can vote his
preference (free country)

Sorry for not clipping the original.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 02:22:29 -0500, Jack
wrote:

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Martin simply pointed out that the two A-boms used in earnest
so far killed A LOT of people. That seems to be easily forgotten
by some when the heroes are sung the way they were here.

No one forgets. But neither you nor Martin has shown us why we should
consider the casualties of those two bombs as any more regrettable than
the hundreds of thousands caused by Japanese invasions of their
neighbors. If it required a great many Japanese lives to right the
balance and end the war, then so be it. American lives and Japanese
lives were saved. If that is not enough for you, it is enough for me.

Indeed, the result of the use of the Atom bombs was doubtless to allow a
generation of both Japanese and Americans to be born into this world who
would otherwise have had no fathers. The tool which allows an early end
to a devastating conflict is desirable. The reluctance to fight and win
in as short a time as possible only increases the total of human suffering.

Do not make the mistake of believing that we celebrate the use of the
bombs. War is terrible enough without such purposeful ignorance of it's
true character. We celebrate the dedication of the men who took such a
great burden upon themselves in order to give us victory and a peace to
be shared with both our allies and our former enemies. The most
important thing about Atomic weapons is not so much that they were once
demonstrated, but that their use has since been avoided. To destroy vast
numbers of lives is monstrous whether by bayonet or by bomb, but to
abhor the means of war instead of decrying its causes is foolishness.

Have you considered lately how many of mine you would be willing to
sacrifice in order to save an equal or greater number of your own, and
by what methods you would be willing to make such an exchange? The
subject deserves a great deal more thought than most of us have given it.

Jack

Old August 15th 04, 08:42 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:51:21 -0500, Big John wrote:

Martin

Guess you would rather be speaking Japanese today?

Japan was almost ready to invade Australia when the US sent troops,

[... big snip here ...]

could it be that you just mixed Austria with Australia?
could it be that you had no idea where you've been on this marvellous
planet while fighting for/against $pickyourchoice?

thanks for the insight.

martin

--
The more one is absorbed in fighting Evil,
the less one is tempted to place the Good