When Poorboys drill holes ...was: Drilling holes in steel tubing

Old October 28th 05, 11:18 PM
wright1902glider

Default When Poorboys drill holes ...was: Drilling holes in steel tubing

DONE!!!!

Yep, I finally broke down and drug the table saw up the stairs. Made a
v-block out of a chunk of 2x4 that I salvaged from a dumpster.

Tried the v-block yesterday, and after 2 hours of setup time, finally
got everything aligned and drilled the holes in the bike frame.
Following that I clamped the extra tubes to the frame one at a time,
and used the holes in the frame as a guide to drill through the new
tubes. Did I mention that that also required 2 hours of setup and
alignment time?

Anyway, the tubes are now attached to the bike frame with #12 screws
and it looks pretty good. I decided not to try brazing this time
because the gap in the tube fitup was just too wide. But I will try it
when I make the model airfoils to test in the rig. I found some 3/64"
brass rod that looks promising.

Harry Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises

Old October 31st 05, 03:58 PM
Ernest Christley

wright1902glider wrote:
DONE!!!!

Yep, I finally broke down and drug the table saw up the stairs. Made a
v-block out of a chunk of 2x4 that I salvaged from a dumpster.

!!??!! SALVAGED FROM A DUMPSTER !!??!!

Damn, he's cheaper than I am. I must say, I'm impressed, and that I
will try harder in the future 8*)

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old November 1st 05, 01:42 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Richard Riley wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:58:49 GMT, Ernest Christley
wrote:

:wright1902glider wrote:
: DONE!!!!
:
: Yep, I finally broke down and drug the table saw up the stairs. Made a
: v-block out of a chunk of 2x4 that I salvaged from a dumpster.
:
:
:!!??!! SALVAGED FROM A DUMPSTER !!??!!
:
amn, he's cheaper than I am. I must say, I'm impressed, and that I
:will try harder in the future 8*)

That *is* impressive.

Unless you can salvage a bandsaw from a landfill, I think he's the
champ.

Only if he welded a bunch of salvaged and resharpened hacksaw blades
into the band.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old November 1st 05, 06:41 PM

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired wrote:

Only if he welded a bunch of salvaged and resharpened hacksaw blades
into the band.

BLADE! We don' need no steanking BLADE!

(Three 26" bicycle wheel rims driving a band of 1/2" steel strapping.
Friction-cut eighth-inch 4130 like going through warm butter.)

-R.S.Hoover