Santa Barbara

Old December 20th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xxx

Default Santa Barbara

Any recent intelligence on boring a hole in the sky to SBA?

I know there used to be two restaurants within walking distance. Still
the case?

How about tying down for a few hours? Any way to do that without a big
fee? Which FBO is most welcoming to a transient spam can?

Old December 20th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I know there used to be two restaurants within walking distance. Still
the case?

How about tying down for a few hours? Any way to do that without a big
fee? Which FBO is most welcoming to a transient spam can?

I was there in a spam can last May. It's a Signature place. Expensive,
good cookies, very nice facilities, and after hours there's a huge
callout fee they "forgot" to tell me about. I did ask, and avoided the
charge by coming back before closing, but it meant I had to cut my visit
shorter than I had intended.

When I complained, I ultimately got a call from the Top Banana,
apologizing, and saying that next time I come, I should call him so he
can "shake my hand". He acted very interested in my (emphatic) feedback.

Call before you go, mention this, and post your experience.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old December 20th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 19 Dec 2006 16:27:40 -0800, "xxx" wrote in
. com:

Any recent intelligence on boring a hole in the sky to SBA?

I know there used to be two restaurants within walking distance. Still
the case?

There's only one GOOD restaurant within walking distance: The
Beachside Cafe.

While the Elephant Bar is in the northeast corner of the field (near
Signature), I would not class it as being good.

Here's an entry for the Usenet $100 Hamburger database:

Location: Santa Barbara, California (KSBA)
Airport Name: Santa Barbara Municipal Airport
AirNav Link: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSBA
City: Santa Barbara
State: California
Restaurant Name: Beachside Bar & Café
Address: 5905 Sandspit Rd., Goleta, CA 93117
Phone: 805-964-7881
Food: **** (* to ***** stars)
Service: *** (* to ***** stars)
Ambiance *****: (* to ***** stars)
Rating: **** (* to ***** stars)
Pricing: ~$10.00
Best Menu Choice: Fresh grilled Halibut
Features: The patio overlooks the Pacific breakers. Great food!
Comments: Park at Mercury Air Center (UNICOM 122.95;
Ph:805.964.6733) (not Signature because you'll
have to walk twice as far), and walk the bike-trail
south across the estuary. You'll see the restaurant at
the foot of the pier. Get a table on the patio, and
you'll often spy dolphin frolicking. I can't rave
enough about the cuisine; it's first rate, if not
5-star. Leave room for a cream brulée and cappuccino.
Reviews:
http://www.santabarbara.com/dining/r...restaurant=597
http://www.diningsantabarbara.com/reviews.asp?ID=293

How about tying down for a few hours? Any way to do that without a big
fee? Which FBO is most welcoming to a transient spam can

If you top off your tanks, I've never been charged a ramp fee, even
for overnight stays.