Garmin 530 trip

Old June 13th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 530 trip

John R. Copeland wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message news:xSljg.178884$bm6.144152@fed1read04...

Dave Butler wrote:

Only TSO146 navigators have altitude outputs that have any
legal meaning.

And, only for final approach segments that have LPV minimums, not unlike
ILS.

Not so, that part about "only...LPV minimums".
You probably meant LNAV/VNAV minimums, didn't you?

No, Mr. Butler stated that TSO146 navigators have altitude outputs that
have any legal meaning, and I added that is true, but only for the final
approach segment of an IAP that has LPV minimums.

LNAV/VNAV minimums are valid only for birds with IFR-certified Baro VNAV
equipment. Let me add, for clarification, that Baro VNAV is valid as
the primary means of vertical navigation only for the final approach
segment of an RNAV (GPS) IAP that has an LNAV/VNAV line of minimums.
Old June 13th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Dave Butler wrote:

Only TSO146 navigators have altitude outputs that have any
legal meaning.

And, only for final approach segments that have LPV minimums, not unlike
ILS.

Not so, that part about "only...LPV minimums".
You probably meant LNAV/VNAV minimums, didn't you?

No, Mr. Butler stated that TSO146 navigators have altitude outputs that
have any legal meaning, and I added that is true, but only for the final
approach segment of an IAP that has LPV minimums.

LNAV/VNAV minimums are valid only for birds with IFR-certified Baro VNAV
equipment. Let me add, for clarification, that Baro VNAV is valid as
the primary means of vertical navigation only for the final approach
segment of an RNAV (GPS) IAP that has an LNAV/VNAV line of minimums.

TSO-C146 vertical guidance in either LPV or LNAV/VNAV approaches
does not depend upon barometric settings.
The minimums, though, are based upon barometric altitudes, of course.
Is the latter what you meant to emphasize?

Old June 13th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Dave Butler wrote:

[...]

What I meant to emphasize is that neither LPV nor Baro VNAV are primary
for vertical nav in any phase of IFR flight, except from the precision
FAF to the DA point in an IAP that supports either LPV or Baro VNAV as
primary for the final segment.
Old June 13th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

That's why I find very annoying about Garmin, you still need to carry a
full set of charts. The 530 only gives you references to fixes, not
altitudes. Also, if you get assigned an airway inroute, be ready to
grab that old enroute chart, Garmin doesn't believe in airways.
This is still true in the G1000.

-Robert

Al wrote:
I recently got intoduced to the Garmin 530. Nice box, advertises 3D nav, but
I couldn't find any referance to step down altitudes on the approach. Is
this not available? I find it hard to believe that they would store every
fix and route in the Western Hemishpere, and leave out a vital portion of
every approach. Do Garmin users all have Jepp subscriptions, and carry them
for the step down fixes?

Al G

Old June 13th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:

... Garmin doesn't believe in airways.
This is still true in the G1000.

you knew this was coming The GNS480 has airways.
Old June 13th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:
That's why I find very annoying about Garmin, you still need to carry a
full set of charts. The 530 only gives you references to fixes, not
altitudes. Also, if you get assigned an airway inroute, be ready to
grab that old enroute chart, Garmin doesn't believe in airways.
This is still true in the G1000.

There is no navigator out there today that eliminates the need for charts.