Let's Hear It From Homebuilders Who Make Your Own Sunshields and Panel Glareshields

Old June 15th 04, 06:07 AM
Ross Oliver

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:56:28 -0400, jls wrote:
I'm trying my hand at it now. Sun shields will probably fit inside the
plexi windows and be something stiff like that honeycomb signboard cut to
shape and covered with aluminum foil and then maybe a film of cellophane or
clingwrap to keep from scratching the soft plexiglas windows.

For my canopy sunshades, I used plain old "window insulation" from
the hardware store. It is basically thin plastic bubble wrap covered in
reflective mylar on both sides. Comes in rolls 3 ft wide, and sells
for about $1 per linear foot. It is stiff enough for small panels
(about 2x2 ft) to hold their shape, yet still flexible enough to conform
to the curve of the canopy. I attach it on two sides with velcro to the
canopy front frame and center rib, and a suction cup to the plexiglass at
the outside corner. If you don't have frames to attach to, probably one big
suction cup in the center of a panel would work fine.

For the glareshield over the panel, I'm making a pattern from cereal box
cardboard, then cutting 016 aluminum to fit, then covering it with 1/2"
thick foam and then maybe leather or naugahyde, or whatever. How about
some ideas here. And thank you for your support.

Three words: black craft felt.