Circle to Land @ KRBG

Old April 12th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Circle to Land @ KRBG

At our home field, KRBG, Roseburg, Oregon, we use left traffic for both ends
of our RWY 34-16. The approach procedures cite "Circling east of the rwy
34-16 centerline not authorized". What do I do when I break out, and have
to "circle west of the centerline for RWY 16", while VFR traffic is flying
the normal left traffic(east of centerline) for RWY16?

Al

Old April 12th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 04/12/06 13:31, Al wrote:
At our home field, KRBG, Roseburg, Oregon, we use left traffic for both ends
of our RWY 34-16. The approach procedures cite "Circling east of the rwy
34-16 centerline not authorized". What do I do when I break out, and have
to "circle west of the centerline for RWY 16", while VFR traffic is flying
the normal left traffic(east of centerline) for RWY16?

Al

That is interesting. At a typical airport, the circling minimums are below
the TPA altitude, so you probably would not be circling in IFR conditions
while VFR aircraft are flying within the traffic pattern.

However, in looking at the information for your airport, the TPA is 1500 MSL
(971 AGL) while the circling minimum (for category A) is 2600 MSL (1740 MSL if
you use DME) - which is higher than the TPA.

I can understand why the circling minimums might be higher than the normal TPA
(they need to provide 1000' of obstacle clearance out to a defined radius,
etc.) but don't know what the answer is in this case.

I can see why they don't let you circle east: There's a tower sitting at
1873 MSL, which must not be in the way for the standard VFR pattern.

I will be very interested to see what others have to say about this.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old April 12th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Al wrote:
At our home field, KRBG, Roseburg, Oregon, we use left traffic for both ends
of our RWY 34-16. The approach procedures cite "Circling east of the rwy
34-16 centerline not authorized". What do I do when I break out, and have
to "circle west of the centerline for RWY 16", while VFR traffic is flying
the normal left traffic(east of centerline) for RWY16?

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject, but what the heck this is usenet.

I'd say the statement on the chart about circling east not authorized, which is
regulatory, trumps the VFR traffic pattern, which is AFAIK not regulatory, but a
matter of custom established by the airport management.

That's my analysis, what's urinalysis?

Dave

Old April 12th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

IFR circling minimums are based on aircraft speed grouping,
A-E, the radius of turn sets the area that must be surveyed
and protected and the highest obstacles in the sector
determine the MDA. If you're at MDA with IMC you can't see
and avoid obstacles, but there should be no VFR traffic
either.

IFR circling requires that you keep the runway in sight,
other than during turns or an occasional cloud. Exactly how
you circle is totally up to the PIC, you can think of a
teardrop or a full pattern, what ever keeps you at the MDA
and gets you to the runway.

If you're practicing in VMC, then you should break off the
approach and join a normal pattern. It is also a good idea
to be as well lighted as possible and use any available ATC
resource. This applies to any airport, not just the KRBG
airport.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
message
news |

Old April 12th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Al" said:
At our home field, KRBG, Roseburg, Oregon, we use left traffic for both ends
of our RWY 34-16. The approach procedures cite "Circling east of the rwy
34-16 centerline not authorized". What do I do when I break out, and have
to "circle west of the centerline for RWY 16", while VFR traffic is flying
the normal left traffic(east of centerline) for RWY16?

If there is VFR traffic in the pattern, cancel IFR and join the pattern.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I find your lack of clue...disturbing" - SithAdmin Vader.
Old April 12th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

If there is VFR traffic in the pattern, cancel IFR and join the pattern.

What if that's not permitted?

Old April 12th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
I'd say the statement on the chart about circling east not authorized,
which is regulatory, trumps the VFR traffic pattern, which is AFAIK not
regulatory, but a matter of custom established by the airport management.

FAR 91.126b "Direction of turns: When approaching to land at an airport
without an operating control tower in Class G airspace-(1) Each pilot of an
airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport
displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns
should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to
the right."

The same requirement is imposed (except when ATC says otherwise) for Class
E, D, C, and B by 91.127, 91.129, 91.130, and 91.131.

--Gary

Old April 13th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message

FAR 91.126b "Direction of turns: When approaching to land at an airport
without an operating control tower in Class G airspace-(1) Each pilot of
an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the
airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that
turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all
turns to the right."

The same requirement is imposed (except when ATC says otherwise) for Class
E, D, C, and B by 91.127, 91.129, 91.130, and 91.131.

The exception is just "unless otherwise authorized or required".

Old April 13th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
If there is VFR traffic in the pattern, cancel IFR and join the pattern.

What if that's not permitted?

Forgive my ignorance, but if there is VFR traffic in the pattern, why
would cancelling IFR not be permitted?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Frankly, your argument wouldn't float were the sea composed of