Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 10th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

Jose wrote in
t:

This isn't a racial issue. Charter pilots are from every demographic
and if the statement is true then it's true.

It has nothing to do with race. Race (in my example) is just a stand-in
for =any= group which is percieved as being less worthy. In that, race
is no different than occupation.

And if it's true for a racial group, why is it not ok to say so?

Jose

How is being cheap considered to be less worthy?

Some people think being thrifty and cost conscious is a good thing.

(Of course, I'm also Jewish.)
Old November 10th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Jay Honeck wrote:

Am I missing something here?

Mr. Honeck only purchases mogas.

Untrue.

Mogas is only available for sale at airports that are run by
enlightened FBO owners -- and they (and mogas) are few and far between.

I have the feeling that if you make enquiries on that particular
aitfield you may find that the FBO attendant has a history of that
behaviour.
Stop kicking yourself Jay you had the bad luck to run into a pillock

Old November 10th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"mike regish" wrote in
:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message

What I am saying is that people should be able to express their
opinions freely without fearing negative reactions or reprimand from
others.

Watched a show on the KKK the other day. Don't see how you can listen to
any of those guys' opinions without getting ****ed. But, hey...that's
just me.

Yeah, but they take the "Jews are cheap *******s" to the next level by
adding, "so we should burn crosses on their lawn and kill them all."

And that's where their opinion goes from being mostly harmless, silly
stereotype to offensive and perhaps even intolerable.

But tolerance is not just about tolerating the differences that we all
have. It's about tolerating the people who don't - at least long enough to
have a chance to educate them. Sure, Jay's joke was insensitive and
tasteless. But it wasn't all that harmful by itself.

The reaction of the FBO Owner / Charter Pilot was immature and useless. He
would have been much better to smile and say, "I bet you didn't know I am
also a Charter Pilot." Then he might have changed Jay's opinion, even if
just a bit.

Tolerance goes both ways. If every time people get offended they
immediately shut the door and stomp their feet, no one will ever change.
Old November 10th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I hope we make it out your way sometime soon. We'd love to see your hotel.

Well, there's always OSH '07, if not beforehand? I've even found a
Maule flight model for the Kiwi...for your "flying" enjoyment!

Thanks for the post as usual!

My pleasure. This group serves as an excellent sounding board for all
of our flying experiences, as well as (sometimes unwilling) guinea pigs
for each chapter of our life's story. As always, I receive far more
than I give.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor

Peter Duniho wrote:

He has nowhere near enough data points to justify a comment describing "all"
charter pilots.

Do you not need more data points to dispute it?

Old November 10th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Stop kicking yourself Jay you had the bad luck to run into a pillock

It's not every day that I have to refer to my dictionary to decipher a
post on Usenet, but you sent me to my Oxford for that one. "Pillock"
is not a word I had ever heard, before, but I like the ring of it.

Best of all, you can sling it at someone (at least in Midwestern
America) with confidence that they won't know that they've been called
a stupid idiot, or worse...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

...to which he snarled "Okay, 'John Kerry' -- maybe you
folks shouldn't be coming around here and borrowing my car anymore..."

That's what you get for trying to make intelligent conversation with a
hard-core Republican!

Hee hee! Ahem.

I'll have you know that I have been accused of being a Republican from
time to time, back when they still existed. Alas, I haven't seen one
for some time, and have been cast adrift into a political wasteland.
For the first time in my life I understand why so few of my peers
bother to vote anymore...

Personally, I thought his Kerry crack was pretty funny, and I actually
held out hope that it meant his attitude was turning humorous.
Unfortunately, his next sentence (inviting us not to come back) proved
me wrong.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

It has nothing to do with race. Race (in my example) is just a stand-in for =any= group which is percieved as being less worthy.
In this case it's actually true.

And if it's true for a racial group, why is it not ok to say so?

It would be OK to say, if it were true.

There are some neighborhoods where it is true. There are people in
whose experience it is true.

It is certainly legal to say so. It is not very civilized to do so in a
social situation however.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 10th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Oh, good God... now I've heard it all. Jews have...

What an incredibly .... words fail me.

Getting offended now, are we?

Jose
Old November 10th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Newps wrote:

This isn't a racial issue. Charter pilots are from every demographic and if
the statement is true then it's true.

The point is that Jay hasn't seen every charter pilot out there. He's seen a
small sample, and possibly an unusually unrepresentative sample, who nows?
Making a sweeping generalization based on a small sample isn't usually a good
idea.

I'll bet that he has more experience at running an airport courtesy car than you
do, or most people on the group, for that matter.

I would say that makes him uniquely qualified to comment.
--
Jim in NC