Things I Would Like To See

Old April 28th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Panglos

Default Things I Would Like To See

I would like to see ATC require at least one controller in 5000 to have
a pilots license and a minimal amount of aviating ability or knowledge.
I would also like to see airports start operating based on the
operational needs of pilots and aircraft; not what the new neighbors
want. It would be nice if people would start asking themselves ´does
this make sense?Ħ And last but not least, I would like for flight
schools to start teaching students what a FREAKING wind sock is! Maybe
then, thirty years from now, one of those students will ask themselves
´does this make senseĦ and they won˙t land on a short snow covered
runway with a tailwind, even if the numbers say it˙s possible and
they˙ve been cleared to land.
--
President of Houston
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/90a/2b8
Old April 28th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article , Panglos
wrote:

I would like to see ATC require at least one controller in 5000 to have
a pilots license and a minimal amount of aviating ability or knowledge.
I would also like to see airports start operating based on the
operational needs of pilots and aircraft; not what the new neighbors
want. It would be nice if people would start asking themselves ³does
this make sense?² And last but not least, I would like for flight
schools to start teaching students what a FREAKING wind sock is! Maybe
then, thirty years from now, one of those students will ask themselves
³does this make sense² and they wonıt land on a short snow covered
runway with a tailwind, even if the numbers say itıs possible and
theyıve been cleared to land.

I would also like to see the elimination of the "stabilized approach."
The records show no safety advantage gained --and -- it clutters up the
pattern with spam cans making two mile "stabilized" finals.

Old April 28th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

"Panglos" wrote in message

I would like to see ATC require at least one controller in 5000 to have
a pilots license and a minimal amount of aviating ability or knowledge.

There are already more than three licensed pilots working as FAA air traffic
controllers.

Old April 29th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I would like to see ATC require at least one controller in 5000 to have
a pilots license and a minimal amount of aviating ability or knowledge.

In my experience flying primarily in the U.S. Midwest, most controllers are
knowledgeable and seem to have a good sense of what we, as pilots, need.

Also, just as an aside, Lockheed-Martin was preferentially hiring pilots for
flight service when they first took over the system. Don't know if they've
stuck to that plan, though...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 29th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Orval Fairbairn opined

In article , Panglos
wrote:

I would like to see ATC require at least one controller in 5000 to have
a pilots license and a minimal amount of aviating ability or knowledge.
I would also like to see airports start operating based on the
operational needs of pilots and aircraft; not what the new neighbors
want. It would be nice if people would start asking themselves ³does
this make sense?² And last but not least, I would like for flight
schools to start teaching students what a FREAKING wind sock is! Maybe
then, thirty years from now, one of those students will ask themselves
³does this make sense² and they wonıt land on a short snow covered
runway with a tailwind, even if the numbers say itıs possible and
theyıve been cleared to land.

Or listen to an AWOS ond the Unicom frequency, rather than asking which is the
active runway.

I would also like to see the elimination of the "stabilized approach."
The records show no safety advantage gained --and -- it clutters up the
pattern with spam cans making two mile "stabilized" finals.

Hear, hear.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2008!
Vote the greater evil.

Old April 29th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Panglos" wrote in message
I would like to see ATC require at least one controller in 5000 to have
a pilots license and a minimal amount of aviating ability or knowledge.

There are already more than three licensed pilots working as FAA air traffic
controllers.

Last time I toured my local small TRACON, there were more than that _on
duty_ at the time of my tour. Quite a few had every rating to CFII.
Old April 29th 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Panglos" wrote in message
I would like to see ATC require at least one controller in 5000 to have
a pilots license and a minimal amount of aviating ability or knowledge.

There are already more than three licensed pilots working as FAA air
traffic controllers.

Last time I toured my local small TRACON, there were more than that _on
duty_ at the time of my tour. Quite a few had every rating to CFII.

No surprise there. Within the US general population about one person in
every 500 holds a pilots license of some kind. Since many controllers
pursued the job because of an interest in aviation one should expect to find
a greater ratio.

Old April 29th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 28, 1:50*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article , Panglos
wrote:

I would also like to see the elimination of the "stabilized approach."
The records show no safety advantage gained --and -- it clutters up the
pattern with spam cans making two mile "stabilized" finals.

There is lots of evidence that the stabilized approach is safer than
the old engine out approach. Especially in retracts. Its mandatory for
when we teach at most factory training events.

-robert, CFII

Old things Patrick R7 Aviation Photos 1 October 18th 07 08:15 PM
Things to do along the way...or when I get there! [email protected] Piloting 4 October 13th 05 09:38 PM
How Things Are Going cjcampbell Piloting 6 August 19th 05 06:11 AM
Of parachutes and things ShawnD2112 Aerobatics 34 July 21st 04 06:13 PM
Things To See In FS9 Randy L. Simulators 21 September 21st 03 08:56 AM