status of Delta Hawk diesel

Old January 3rd 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default status of Delta Hawk diesel

The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,
Old January 4th 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Jan 3, 9:19*am, jan olieslagers
wrote:
The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,

I have NEVER seen a Delta Hawk in any other plane but the factory Demo
canard. This motor program is as close to vaporware as on can get.

Just my opinion........
Old January 4th 11, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Op 04/01/2011 15:27, stol schreef:
On Jan 3, 9:19 am, jan
wrote:
The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,

I have NEVER seen a Delta Hawk in any other plane but the factory Demo
canard. This motor program is as close to vaporware as on can get.

Just my opinion........

Thanks for sharing your opinion - obviously my info was incorrect. As
for "vaporware", I always believed this discipline's grandmaster is
Germany's Zoche diesel engine?

Rgds,
Old January 4th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

wrote:
The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,

I have NEVER seen a Delta Hawk in any other plane but the factory Demo
canard. This motor program is as close to vaporware as on can get.

Just my opinion........

Thanks for sharing your opinion - obviously my info was incorrect. As
for "vaporware", I always believed this discipline's grandmaster is
Germany's Zoche diesel engine?

Rgds,

Zoche would have my vote, too! He has NEVER had one of his engines flown
in the 30 years that I have been aware of it.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! (Like Zoche's engine)
Old January 5th 11, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

wrote:

The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,

I have NEVER seen a Delta Hawk in any other plane but the factory Demo
canard. This motor program is as close to vaporware as on can get.

Just my opinion........

I don't know about the vaporware aspect but I did notice where they
upped the price to the point that it would make no sense to even
consider one over any other engine. Their initial concept and price
level looked attractive but the last time I looked, I laughed and
never went back.

Old January 6th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 4, 9:24 am, jan olieslagers
wrote:

Thanks for sharing your opinion - obviously my info was incorrect. As
for "vaporware", I always believed this discipline's grandmaster is
Germany's Zoche diesel engine?

Moller's the grandaddy of them all. Even takes deposits on vaporware.

Dan

Old January 17th 11, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Lots of hype on Diesels in airplanes, little action.

I wonder if the problem is the sharpness of the combustion event
destroying props?

Bill Hale BPPP instructor

Old January 17th 11, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

" wrote in message
Lots of hype on Diesels in airplanes, little action.

I wonder if the problem is the sharpness of the combustion event
destroying props?

Not at all.

The problem is that diesels are usually heavy as crap to withstand the
higher combustion chamber pressures that diesel engines have, mainly. The
other problem is that fuel pumps and injector systems used on diesel engines
usually will not work using jet fuel, which is the fuel these engines are
normally going to be using.

Of course, the largest problem is having the money it takes to develop an
engine and get it to market. Costs can be enormous.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 17th 11, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom De Moor

In article ,
says...

Not at all.

The problem is that diesels are usually heavy as crap to withstand the
higher combustion chamber pressures that diesel engines have, mainly.

Aero-diesels impose from the start a kind of supercharger, adding
complexity, weight and more things to go wrong.

Some makes add also a PSRU, once again adding weight, extra maintenance
and cost.

The
other problem is that fuel pumps and injector systems used on diesel engines
usually will not work using jet fuel, which is the fuel these engines are
normally going to be using.

Diesel engines require minimal mods to run on Jet grade A1. The Thielert
Aero-Diesel Engine is nothing else than a Mercedes A-class motor. This
is also the reason why Thielert states TBR (to be replaced) instead of
TBO: due to the engine core being mass produced it is not economical to
overhaul.

Thielert is one of the few on the market We are - 6 years after the
promised launch- still waiting for the Delta Hawk, the WAMdiesel and
others. Thielert even found the time to go bust and recommence. :-)

Of course, the largest problem is having the money it takes to develop an
engine and get it to market. Costs can be enormous.

When the lady goes shopping, costs can be enormous too.
Doesn't stop her either AND she enjoys the shopping. ;-)

Bottomline is that diesel or jet grade A1 is not yett an alternatif for
100LL, not even in Europe where 100LL is at 11.15 US$ / USG.

150 HP Diesel Thielert replacing a 150HP Lycoming in a C172 or PA28.
Engine 2000 Hr TBR: 39 kUS$ First installation aerodiesel: 20 kUS$
Fuel consumption: 7 USG/ Hr

150 HP Lyc Overhaul installation included : 15 kUS$
Fuel consumption : 9 USG/Hr

In Europe it is far more interesting to get an STC for mogas (which is
about 30% less expensif than 100LL).

Tom De Moor

Old January 17th 11, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

jan olieslagers wrote:
The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,

If you want an engine that runs on diesel, you HAVE to take a look at this
video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yle0bNfmf0E

It's a turbine engine mounted on a CH-701. Kinda neat!

I suppose if ~90 HP isn't enough, you could always consider a twin design.
;-)