Automated Assisted Flight System

Old March 4th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Automated Assisted Flight System

I'm seeking a plane owner who would be interested in a system to act like
AFCS on passenger jets.

This system has GPS incorporated along with a touch screen, and a LCD read
out that provides system status information. The plane that receives this
should have some type of 12 volt charging system. (magneto charging is
acceptable).

There are strings attached to this opportunity. This system will have to go
through manned flight testing.That sounds scary , but the system can be
easily overridden. It should be noted that there has been a large amount of
ground and mobile testing done. But there has not been manned flight
testing.

Anyone who is interested should note...this system is available to only one
person for price of components. They also will receive 10% of any future
profit made from this system.

Ok.....now the price part. The total price of the parts are $1300.00. The
owners aircraft also must be fitted out with control tabs on both ailerons
as well as the rudder and elevator. The weight of the finished system should
be about 2 - 2.5 lbs. plus any added weight of the trim tabs.

To answer your next question, I'm an Automation Programmer and Technician.I
have been working on this project for over two years(on my own time). I'm
also an accomplished ultralight pilot as well as currently designing an
airplane for this system to be installed on for my own.

I will provide more detailed information to anyone who is truly interested.

The following screens are planned. More may be added with feedback from the
user/tester.

User input data mode
GPS mode (go to a designated grid location)

Waypoint mode(follow set waypoints)

Compass mode

Heading hold mode

Airspeed and ground speed mode

Flight calibration mode

Stall speed set mode

Initial test mode

Torque calibration mode

User setup mode

If you are interested. Please email me.

James Long

propellanttech-at-charter.net please note your have to replace the -at-
with @ to email me. I'm avoiding the bots.

Old March 5th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

My question is, if its his system, and hes an ultralite pilot. Why not
test it himself on his ultralite? Hmmm
Jester "feeling facetious" Jesse

Old March 5th 06, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I don't currently own an ultralight. Hard times as a result of 911 placed my
ultralight in the "for sale" column. I must admit, it was hard to sell. I
love flying more than anything. But my next aircraft will be a wood
amphibian. ( I"m currently working on it's design as well. Based on a PBY
crossed with a Grumman Goose. Tandem configuration, twin engine. Very
light.....as light as it can be and be safe.)

Plus you never test an item if you designed it....you miss the
flaws......because you didn't think of them....how would you find them? How
do you test for flaws you didn't think of preventing in the first place?
I've tested as far as I'm currently able.

The testing process would be one axis at a time to ensure correct
orientation/operation. The pilot would only have to worry about that axis
not being correct.

I will say, this would take a pilot who is certain of his flying
skills....and has NO doubt. The ideal person (if knowing altitude and
obsticles) should be able to fly his aircraft by feel. Also the ideal person
will have built his plane himself, kit or otherwise.

This is not a Chuck Yeager type situation. The pilot would just fly the
plane normally and engage the system. If the system works correctly he
notices nothing.(He may notice something....but it would be slight). If it
behaves incorrectly then he notices an unusual pressure on the stick,
pushing the wrong way( or moving at all).

We are adding trim tabs to the flight surfaces.....This makes the system
totally independant from the flight controls(stick, yoke, etc.). The flight
controls always have positive authority.

Hope that answers your question.

James Long

ups.com...