Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight

Old August 18th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

Default Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

I'm not in the mood to deal with testosterone today.

LOL grade-school exit line!

Old September 8th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Meghan Taylor

Emily wrote:

Terry wrote:
Emily wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

snip

Personally, I don't care about weight and balance. I care that I
can't take my contacts out on a transatlantic flight and that the TSA
would be shuffling through company secret information if I were to
check it on a business trip.

This is a good point. The TSA apparently doesn't understand that a
person/terrorist can smuggle fluids taped to one's leg, or other part of
the body, or even shove a vial/tube up their butt.
This type of over-reaction is typical of an agency that has no idea of
what to do, or in fact what the mission is.

I thought about smuggling contact solution in my bra, but figured if I
were to get caught, they'd nail me under the pilot insecurity act. So I
figured I can either lose my certificates or lose my medical after I get
an eye infection. Not sure which is preferable.

You've got a point, though. Maybe someone should suggest to them that
they need to start giving all passengers rectal exams before they board.

So this is what it's come to. In middle school we smuggled our cigarettes
around in our bras to avoid nic fits before class, before exams, etc. Now we
need to smuggle our contact solution in our bra, just to avoid getting our
eyes irritated or infected on an airplane ride. Progress is great.

Old September 8th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Meghan Taylor" wrote in message

.... I care that I
can't take my contacts out on a transatlantic flight ....

I thought about smuggling contact solution in my bra,...
...I can either lose my certificates or lose my medical .....

So this is what it's come to... Now we
need to smuggle our contact solution in our bra,

Has it occurred to anyone to simply wear glasses on longer flights?

Old September 8th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"John Gaquin" wrote:

Has it occurred to anyone to simply wear glasses on longer flights?

yes, but a far better solution (no pun) would be for TSA to make
the security provisions appropriate to the risk.

I wonder if people realize all the various reasons for wearing
contacts. It's not just about vanity.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 8th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Meghan Taylor wrote:
snip

So this is what it's come to. In middle school we smuggled our cigarettes
around in our bras to avoid nic fits before class, before exams, etc. Now we
need to smuggle our contact solution in our bra, just to avoid getting our
eyes irritated or infected on an airplane ride. Progress is great.

Not quite the same thing.
Old September 8th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

I wonder if people realize all the various reasons for wearing
contacts. It's not just about vanity.

Perhaps they don't. Apart from vanity or self-consciousness or personal
comfort, what would those reasons be? Why *couldn't* someone forego
contacts for 8-10 hours or more in the interests of avoiding discomfort or
possible eye damage?

Old September 8th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

John Gaquin wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in message
I wonder if people realize all the various reasons for wearing
contacts. It's not just about vanity.

Perhaps they don't. Apart from vanity or self-consciousness or personal
comfort, what would those reasons be? Why *couldn't* someone forego
contacts for 8-10 hours or more in the interests of avoiding discomfort or
possible eye damage?

Because I can't drive or navigate an unfamiliar airport in glasses.

Because my eyesight is not correctable to 20/20 with glasses.

And certainly can't deal without contacts on a trip when the airline
loses my luggages (they have a 100% failure rate with me).
Old September 8th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"John Gaquin" wrote:

I wonder if people realize all the various reasons for wearing
contacts. It's not just about vanity.

Perhaps they don't. Apart from vanity or self-consciousness or personal
comfort, what would those reasons be? Why *couldn't* someone forego
contacts for 8-10 hours or more in the interests of avoiding discomfort or
possible eye damage?

For me, I have disposable contacts. Taking them out pretty much means
throwing them away as they don't store well (I have the extended wear
lenses that I leave in for a week). And my vision is better with the
contacts than with the stupid small lenses in my glasses.

It occurred to me that some people need eyedrops even when they
don't wear contacts (non-prescription drops).

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 8th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
"John Gaquin" wrote:

I wonder if people realize all the various reasons for wearing
contacts. It's not just about vanity.

Perhaps they don't. Apart from vanity or self-consciousness or personal
comfort, what would those reasons be? Why *couldn't* someone forego
contacts for 8-10 hours or more in the interests of avoiding discomfort or
possible eye damage?

For me, I have disposable contacts. Taking them out pretty much means
throwing them away as they don't store well (I have the extended wear
lenses that I leave in for a week). And my vision is better with the
contacts than with the stupid small lenses in my glasses.

It occurred to me that some people need eyedrops even when they
don't wear contacts (non-prescription drops).

Well, since non-prescription medications are ok in quantities under 4
oz, I'd make the argument that eye drops are non-prescription medication.
Old September 9th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Emily" wrote in message

Because I can't drive or navigate an unfamiliar airport in glasses.

I presume that's due to reason #2.

Because my eyesight is not correctable to 20/20 with glasses.

Well, that's a good reason. I'm not up on lens technology. I didn't
realize such a circumstance could exist.

And certainly can't deal without contacts on a trip when the airline loses
my luggages (they have a 100% failure rate with me).

Well, that seems reasonable, but... a 100% failure rate? That's bizarre.
There must be some other factors involved.