Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight

Old September 10th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

Default Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage foraircraft weight

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

You didn't merely ask if it was physically possible.

Quote:
I wonder if people realize all the various reasons for wearing
contacts. It's not just about vanity.

Perhaps they don't. Apart from vanity or self-consciousness or personal
comfort, what would those reasons be? Why *couldn't* someone forego
contacts for 8-10 hours or more in the interests of avoiding discomfort or
possible eye damage?

end quote

I think the context point ought to have been quite clear.

Why is it ridiculous?

Because the cost is not justified.

Again, you're back to personal choice.

Old September 10th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Emily" wrote in message .

Why is it ridiculous? Your choice of "stupid small lenses"

For some of us, small lenses are not a choice.

Emily, you must pay attention. The reference by Bob was to the "stupid
small lenses" in his glasses, not to his or your contact lenses.

Old September 10th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

John Gaquin wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message .
Why is it ridiculous? Your choice of "stupid small lenses"

For some of us, small lenses are not a choice.

Emily, you must pay attention. The reference by Bob was to the "stupid
small lenses" in his glasses, not to his or your contact lenses.

I am paying attention. Bob was talking about his "stupid small lenses".
I agreed and said that for some of us, small eyeglass lenses are not a
choice, they are a requirement. I phrased it badly, but I was talking
about eyeglasses, not contacts.
Old September 10th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

John Gaquin wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
And I told you that it was not possible.

To which I responded succinctly "... Well, that's a good reason. I'm not
up on lens technology. I didn't realize such a circumstance could exist..."

All your subsequent ranting has been a misdirected digression, irrelevant to
the main question.

In your opinion.
Old September 10th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

And frankly, it's very disappointing to hear a pilot siding with the TSA
in this. The simple fact is, this is unreasonable rule. You sound like
my coworker....when I complained about this at work and she overheard
me, her response was, "Oh, so you'd rather be able to take contact
solution on board and have the plane blow up than be inconvenienced and
safe?" It's that mentality that is very dangerous.

Yes. It's a climate of fear that makes it easy to eliminate civil
liberties. And yet, regardless of what anyone might think over the
short term, civil liberties are _far_ more important than protecting
against a few rare terrorists.

Old September 11th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Javier[_1_]

And certainly can't deal without contacts on a trip when the airline
loses my luggages (they have a 100% failure rate with me).

Does this mean that every time you traveled by airlines, they lost
some/all of your luggage? How often do you fly?

It sounds bizarre. I've had bags delayed twice since 1986, but never a
lost bag. I travel by airlines several times a year, sometimes to
international destinations.

-jav
Old September 11th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Does this mean that every time you traveled by airlines, they lost some/all of your luggage? How often do you fly?

Dunno about Emily, but for me it's destination dependent. Every time I
travel from a specific destination to a certain terminal at JFK, my
luggage gets rifled and destroyed, and the airline won't take
responsibility.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.
Old September 11th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Javier wrote:
And certainly can't deal without contacts on a trip when the airline
loses my luggages (they have a 100% failure rate with me).

Does this mean that every time you traveled by airlines, they lost
some/all of your luggage? How often do you fly?

It sounds bizarre. I've had bags delayed twice since 1986, but never a
lost bag. I travel by airlines several times a year, sometimes to
international destinations.

-jav

I fly about once a month. I've checked bags twice in the past fifteen
years (that's right, I was barely a teenager when I stopped checking bags).

So yes, every time I have checked bags (twice), they have lost my
luggage or stolen something out of it. One loss due to the airline and
one theft due to the TSA.
Old September 11th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_4_]

Emily wrote:
So yes, every time I have checked bags (twice), they have lost my
luggage or stolen something out of it. One loss due to the airline and
one theft due to the TSA.

Then put a handgun (or pieces of one) in your luggage, declare it, and
you can then lock the luggage... They are not allowed to open it unless
you are present...

Old September 11th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
I fly about once a month. I've checked bags twice in the past fifteen
years (that's right, I was barely a teenager when I stopped checking
bags).

So yes, every time I have checked bags (twice), they have lost my luggage
or stolen something out of it. One loss due to the airline and one theft
due to the TSA.

You must be seriously "snake bit."

I fly 16-20 times a month (and have done so for the better part of 10 years
now) and always have to check a bag. Aside from the inevitable lost (ie ...
missed connection) bag going through Philadelphia, I've never had a bag
broken into or had anything stolen.

(Knock Wood)

Now if US Airways makes good on the rumor to take all domestic ops back to
Pittsburgh so that I can avoid Philly altogether, life would be really good.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ