Any fliers?

Old May 19th 04, 10:29 PM
Steve

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:54:21 -0400, Bob McKellar wrote:

Any fliers on this NG? Any at all?

Cessna 152!

Beat that! :-)

--
Steve.

1956 model Cessna 172 - with my name on the registration.......

Oh, can't top that. I don't own anything that flies (apart from my hair).

I realized one day that the fuel load in the biz jet ahead of me on the taxi
way was worth more than my airplane.

LOL. And the fact that the centerline markings on the runway are wider than
the plane makes me feel fairly insignificant.

But it was MY airplane, not my uncle's.
Even Ed and BUFDRVR couldn't say that, in a fiscal sense!

True, true, but I know what I'd rather be strapped into. :-)

--
Steve.
Old May 19th 04, 11:36 PM
Mike Marron

Steve wrote:
Bob McKellar wrote:

1956 model Cessna 172 - with my name on the registration.......

Oh, can't top that. I don't own anything that flies (apart from my hair).

Be grateful you still have hair. As the old adage goes...if it flies,
floats, or ****s it's cheaper to rent!

I realized one day that the fuel load in the biz jet ahead of me on the taxi
way was worth more than my airplane.

LOL. And the fact that the centerline markings on the runway are wider than
the plane makes me feel fairly insignificant.

But the rich fat cats gotta feel insignicant when I taxi into a busy
airport and attract larger crowds around my humble kite than they do
with their multi-million dollar biz jets.

But it was MY airplane, not my uncle's.
Even Ed and BUFDRVR couldn't say that, in a fiscal sense!

True, true, but I know what I'd rather be strapped into. :-)

Same here. Both the doggy ol' '56 Cessna spamcan and the BUFF would
bore me to tears therefore the Thunderchief wins hands down.

Old May 20th 04, 01:20 AM
Guy Alcala

BUFDRVR wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

Barnett yelled for his lieutenant to clean up his airplane and go
home. And, that's when Bill Ricks began to drink.

Thanks Ed, that gave me a good laugh. Now for a "Buffoonary" type combat tale.

snip

And just to show that even Israeli uberpilots can have finger trouble, the
following is from Shlomo Aloni's Osprey book "Israeli Mirage and Nesher aces", with
IAF ace Reuven Rozen recounting a mission he flew on 21 May 1969 with his 119
Squadron CO, Ran Ronen. Ronen was, by general consensus, the finest IAF Squadron
CO in the Six Day War as well as the IAF's second ace, and almost was chosen as IAF
CinC (rather than David Ivri):

"We had difficulty jettisoning our external tanks, for you had to be flying at
precisely 350 knots with the nose lifted, and no loading on the wings, otherwise
the seeker heads of the AAMs would fall off with the shock of the tanks coming
away. So he [Ronen] did it just fine and he ordered, 'Full power, ready to
jettison external fuel tanks, jettison external fuel tanks!' Suddenly, I saw his
AAMs launched straight ahead. I was amazed! He said nothing on the radio. Ran
then pushed the _right_ switch and jettisoned the external fuel tanks."

Rozen goes on to describe his kill, his third, and Aloni also says that Ronen got
his sixth with his cannon. At the time the loss of the missiles wasn't that big a
deal, as the IAF only had the R.530 (almost certainly not carried on this mission),
the near useless Shafrir I, 60 or so AIM-9Bs they'd bought from the US along with
the first F-4 batch, and a couple of dozen Atolls which they'd captured (along with
9 launchers) when they took Bir Gafgafa Airfield in Sinai during the '67 war.
Cannons were still the preferred and far more effective weapon, although the
Shafrir II entered service shortly thereafter and got its first kill in July, with
the AIM-9D also entering service the following year.

Guy

Old May 20th 04, 03:13 AM
vincent p. norris

Started in a Thomas-Morse-Boeing MB-3 Scout,

Now, THAT'S impressive!

Dan, I think Swifty is pulling our legs. To say he began with a Scout
and then flew a Jenny is like a WW II type saying he flew P-40s and
then flew an AT-6.

vince norris
Old May 20th 04, 04:01 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Cub Driver writes:

Me. (Just today, in fact)

Congratulations! Oh ... I suppose you mean you went flying today, not
that you got your ticke todayt. Well, congratulations anyhow. It's
raining here in New Hampshire, and I'm VFR. But I had a great tour of
The Big Lake on Wednesday.

I'm not active any more. (Busted my medical so bad this time that I'm
not Happy! High Blood Pressure! It's Not Flying that raises the
blood pressure!)

Dan, it wasn't raining Yesterday (Tuesday) - was that you over, say,
Hampton, Rye Beach about 12:30 PM? White J-3, about 600-700' AGL
(ASL, as well, we were at the Beach)

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old May 20th 04, 10:17 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:23:10 GMT, "Tom Swift"
wrote:

Flew Lysanders out of UK, all night missions

There's a book in that, I suspect.

The Lysander seems to have been the airline of choice for agents going
for vacations in France.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old May 20th 04, 12:50 PM
Tom Swift

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
Started in a Thomas-Morse-Boeing MB-3 Scout,

Now, THAT'S impressive!

Dan, I think Swifty is pulling our legs. To say he began with a Scout
and then flew a Jenny is like a WW II type saying he flew P-40s and
then flew an AT-6.

vince norris

Sorry, not pulling your leg.

I washed planes for gratis instruction at Roosevelt Field, NY. TM Scout
belonged to John Hay Whitney.
1st Solo was in Aeronca, 1940.

A P-40 pilot once returned to the Z.I. could easily be checked out in a T-6
for Flying pay profiency, happened all the time.

Old May 20th 04, 10:05 PM
BUFDRVR

Mike Marron wrote:

Both the doggy ol' '56 Cessna spamcan and the BUFF would
bore me to tears

I'll take you on night/NVG TA sortie through the foothills of the
Sierra-Nevadas, if you're bored, you haven't got a pulse

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"