Older airframes

Old June 17th 04, 12:16 AM
Jim

Default Older airframes

This time of the year I usually ask the regular readers of this
newsgroup which aircraft they flew years ago they'd most like to see
with a newer engine. Always worthy of many fine comments.

This time a slight revision. You are recalled to active duty for
combat overseas. You will return with a version of the model you
formerly flew. But this time you can change one aspect only. Which
airframe and what would that be?

Keep in mind this could mean your F-4J against a MiG-29 or SU-30?
Avionics? Engine? FCS?

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Co-founder of newsgroup - RAMN
Anti-spam measures in action.
For e-mail response delete "nospam"

Old June 17th 04, 02:54 PM
Pechs1

chief- You are recalled to active duty for
combat overseas. You will return with a version of the model you
formerly flew. But this time you can change one aspect only. Which
airframe and what would that be? BRBR

A-4F+, with a great radar. 4 SW, guns.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Old June 17th 04, 07:33 PM
Mike Kanze

I'd go with a very stripped-down version of the A-6, maybe even something
like the proposal Grumman made for a light attack variant back when the
Thalidomide Crusader (A-7) was chosen for the role.

(Grumman proposed a single-seat two-engine bird that otherwise had all the
other classic A-6 characteristics. If folks thought the two-place A-6
looked strange, this single-place "thing" was strange-squared. I believe
someone in r.a.m.n. posted a link to an illustration of this bird recently -
if so, could we please see a repost?)

Like Woody I agree it should be a JDAM dump truck. In addition, it should
be an outstanding tanker. Unlike Woody, I'd dispense with a nice avionics
suite in favor of "just enough" to do the mission and get back to Mother.
With more and more of the smarts now in the weapon, vice the carriage, this
puppy might even be a (gasp!) UAV.

In other words, a bird with the simplicity of the early A-4s and the deep
strike / fuel-hauling / gas passing capability of the A-6.

Unfortunately however, no role in such a bird for an old, broke-dick A-6A
B/N like me.

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze

"Dear Abby: My cousin has been paying a psychiatrist $50 an hour, every week
for two and a half years. He must be crazy."

- "Dear Abby" letters that never saw print

Old June 17th 04, 08:42 PM
John Carrier

"Pechs1" wrote in message
chief- You are recalled to active duty for
combat overseas. You will return with a version of the model you
formerly flew. But this time you can change one aspect only. Which
airframe and what would that be? BRBR

A-4F+, with a great radar. 4 SW, guns.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

A couple minor mods. A system to lock the slats up or nudge them out (put
it on the throttle grip like the F-8 droops). A flying tail. Inlet mods to
improve transonic performance. My favorite jet.

R / John

Old June 17th 04, 08:47 PM
John Carrier

Like Woody I agree it should be a JDAM dump truck. In addition, it should
be an outstanding tanker. Unlike Woody, I'd dispense with a nice avionics
suite in favor of "just enough" to do the mission and get back to Mother.
With more and more of the smarts now in the weapon, vice the carriage,

this
puppy might even be a (gasp!) UAV.

Current avionics are compact and theoretically cheap. An integrated
GPS/Inertial is the size of a loaf of bread. Mass produced, (they aren't)
cockpit displays are cheap. I see no reason why if Joe S. Ragman can have a
full-up GPS nav in his Cessna for a couple thousand, the military must pay a
million for less capability. Of course, we do. Excuse me, they do.

R / John

Old June 18th 04, 03:24 AM
WaltBJ

Airplanes I flew to go against a MiG29 or SU30? Even though I flew the
F104A/J79-19 and the F4E I have to say 'no thanks'. The 104's too
small to mount a good radar and RHAW gear; the F4E could carry both
but even with F100 engines is too big a radar target. What you've got
with AMRAAM and AIM9X is a stand-off BVR engagement, his Pk against
yours. It can carry plenty of ordnance and with turbofan engines would
have good endurance. Listen, troops, that's why we're (supposed to be)
buying the F22. I'd really like to have the bogey ID'd outside his
F-pole and inside mine . . . . maybe if Kelly Johnson was still around
to produce a 21st century Lancer . . .
Walt BJ
Old June 18th 04, 04:44 AM
Joe Delphi

EA-3B with a state-of-the-art GPS navigation suite. It was a nice bird, we
just never knew exactly where we were.

JD

You are recalled to active duty for
combat overseas. You will return with a version of the model you
formerly flew. But this time you can change one aspect only. Which
airframe and what would that be?

Wanted: copy of Flying Buyers' Guide 1983 or older Ren? Aviation Marketplace 1 January 14th 05 06:06 AM
Story of an older pilot 74 Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 3 November 3rd 04 03:52 AM
Canadian Forces cast about for used Hercules airframes Andrew Chaplin Military Aviation 24 October 3rd 03 02:24 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM