Free Checkrides at Marfa, Texas

Old October 12th 13, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default Free Checkrides at Marfa, Texas

Some good news from the FAA regarding CFI renewals and expired CFI reinstatements.
Starting NOV 15, 2013 (although the Gov't "Slimdown" may affect the exact date) a CFI who renews (or reinstates) their Flight Instructor Certificate by a Practical Test a/k/a "checkride" with an examiner can count this event as a 24 month Flight Review.

Before this amendment to FAR 61.56, renewing a Flight Instructor Certificate was NOT counted as a full Flight Review (mistakenly called "Biennial" and even "Biannual" Flight Review) although I know some CFI's thought it did renew their Flight Review (therefore in violation of -- oh never mind.) However, if a renewing CFI convinced the examiner to also endorse their pilot logbook as a Flight Review, specifically quoting FAR 61.56, then it counted, but it was not automatic.

Renewing your Flight Instructor Certificate at a Flight Instructor Refresher Clinic (FIRC) or by an "administrative action" type of renewal by your local FAA office will not count for the full Flight Review (although a FIRC does renew your CFI for another 24 months.)

For the automatic Flight Review you gotta actually fly with an examiner, meaning a Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE) or a FAA Inspector qualified and current in gliders. Always a good idea to actually fly the maneuvers and demonstrate that you can still "teach to proficiency" once in a while.

Therefore my offer of FREE CFI (glider category) renewals and CFI reinstatements in my new ASK-21 sailplane with me as your DPE at Marfa, Texas, will automatically include the "free" Flight Review. And a free room at Marfa. Your checkride will be thorough per the FAA PTS for CFI. (Pre-checkride training for PVT, COM, CFI checkrides is available at my regular rates, unchanged since 2010.) Just get yourself to El Paso and then drive southeast past the scenic mountains to the grasslands of the Marfa Plateau (5,000' msl..) No oil out here -- just big skies. (No Wally-marts either.)

My offer expires March 31, 2014. For my available dates and more information please e-mail me at marfagliders at aol dot com

Burt
Marfa, southwest Texas
"Where yesterday's 'USA TODAY' arrives tomorrow."