Flying Friday through the TFRs

Old August 15th 04, 03:19 AM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

King 5 (the local NBC affiliate) ran a news story about how the TFR
was costing Kenmore $75,000 in revenue. So I guess when NBC isn't trashing
GA for lax security, they sometimes can be persuaded to actually show some
of the effects of too much security. It isn't just aviation, either. Towne
Center (a large, upscale shopping mall) was closed because it is too close
to where Bush was staying, no doubt costing the merchants there a large
fortune.

Not just NBC, either. Yahoo news (usuallyn the AP feed) carried a story that the D.C.
mayor and council are increasingly upset at the damage the Federal security is doing
to the local business. They didn't mention the aviation situation, of course.

Maybe this is the next big media craze? Beats picking on GA, that's for sure.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 15th 04, 03:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob Gardner wrote:

Just dreaming....do you think that a President Kerry could prevail upon the
Secret Service to lighten up when it comes to GA airplanes, or is the SS
beyond the power of the president to change?

I have wondered that myself.

Old August 15th 04, 05:10 AM
Peter Duniho

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
[...] Towne
Center (a large, upscale shopping mall) was closed because it is too close
to where Bush was staying, no doubt costing the merchants there a large
fortune.

During what hours? We ate lunch there (Redmond Town Center, the correct
name and spelling) yesterday, and while there was security everywhere, and
several of the streets were closed to motor vehicles, the shopping center
was definitely open.

People who drove anywhere near the great man were closely tailed by
the cops.

Now *that's* the truth. On my way into lunch, two of Redmond's finest on
motorcycles were less than a wheel width behind my car for most of the time
I was on Redmond Town Center grounds.

At the time, I didn't know what the huge concentration of police was for. I
was sorely tempted to "see" a squirrel and slam on the brakes. It's bad
enough when the average Joe Idiot is riding my butt; somehow it all makes
sense when the police are being just as stupid as everyone else.

I am not so sure Kerry deserves credit for not having TFRs around him.

I'm not so sure he does either. But what makes you think he's taking the
credit? I've never seen any quotes from him doing so.

Pete

Old August 15th 04, 05:14 AM
Peter Duniho

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
Just dreaming....do you think that a President Kerry could prevail upon

the
Secret Service to lighten up when it comes to GA airplanes, or is the SS
beyond the power of the president to change?

Could the President get a reduction in security measures? Of course he
could. Is Kerry the President to do it? Who knows...somehow I doubt it. I
doubt any of the usual Presidential suspects would.

I think that CJ's post hit the nail on the head though...I don't want to see
ANY President assassinated or otherwise harmed, no matter how much I dislike
them, but geeze Louise we sure do waste a ton of money trying to protect
against that happening, sending entirely the wrong message, when in fact our
government was designed to deal with such an event quite handily.

Pete

Old August 15th 04, 07:09 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:02:02 GMT, Martin Hotze
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:31:34 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

Towne
Center (a large, upscale shopping mall) was closed because it is too close
to where Bush was staying, no doubt costing the merchants there a large
fortune.

But now you're kidding, right? You mean: you are shutting down a whole
shopping mall only because of your *OWN* *elected* president (no matter who
it is) is in the vicinity? And you all let him/them go away with this?

The Democrats shut down a good protion of Boston, the Republicans will
do so where ever they are holding theirs. (I forgot where, but I'm not
going)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
cool.

#m

Old August 15th 04, 07:36 AM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article ,
King 5 (the local NBC affiliate) ran a news story about how the TFR
was costing Kenmore $75,000 in revenue. So I guess when NBC isn't trashing
GA for lax security, they sometimes can be persuaded to actually show some
of the effects of too much security. It isn't just aviation, either. Towne
Center (a large, upscale shopping mall) was closed because it is too close
to where Bush was staying, no doubt costing the merchants there a large
fortune.

Not just NBC, either. Yahoo news (usuallyn the AP feed) carried a story
that the D.C.
mayor and council are increasingly upset at the damage the Federal
security is doing
to the local business. They didn't mention the aviation situation, of course.

DC is getting it really bad. I live in Seattle but am from Columbia,
MD. DC is not a state so they have no representation in congress (they do
have a shadow senator which can not vote). The DC streets are partrolled
the district police (mayors office) and the congressional police
(congress). There's long been disputes between teh two groups.
It was recently made clear thou that the mayors office and the citizens
of DC have ZERO control over the streets. The congressional police and
congress those. So they have closed (and plan to close) several more DC
streets for 'security.' Congress does not have to (and in some cases did
not) inform the disctrict police or the mayors office prior to these
closes.
And things are set to get worst before they get better. Yet another
reason why most people that work in DC live in MD or VA
Old August 16th 04, 07:50 AM
Peter Duniho

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
I am not talking about Democrats or Republicans or Bush or Kerry or

whoever. CJ put it right.

On Usenet anything, no matter how absurd, can happen. CJ, Martin, and me
all agreeing on the same point is proof of that. Yikes...

Old August 17th 04, 07:24 AM
Brian Burger

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Bob Gardner wrote:

If you're in Canada and watch Royal Canadian Air Farce, you have seen Marg
Delahunty talking to Chretien with a (fake) sword in her hand....imagine
that happening with a US president. Maybe she did the same thing with Paul
Martin before he became Prime Minister. She'll get more chances when the
fall TV seasons begins.

Actually, Marge is on "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", another Canadian
national institution. She also showed up to interview one Opposition
leader in boxing gloves, and had a pair for him, too... I do remember the
sword, though!

We've even had various senior pols show up on "Air Farce" (not in
'interviews', but actually in-studio!) - exPM Chretien (several times),
our current PM (when he was Finance Min, anyway), several
other Ministers, and one ex leader of the Opposition. I only start taking
Canadian politicians seriously *after* their first Air Farce appearance.

Imagine Prez W. on, say, Saturday Night Live? Not a chance.

Brian.

Bob Gardner

"Guy Middleton" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Gardner wrote:
Just dreaming....do you think that a President Kerry could prevail upon

the
Secret Service to lighten up when it comes to GA airplanes, or is the SS
beyond the power of the president to change?

It is interesting to watch TV coverage of other national leaders,

especially
Canada, and note the absence of guys with wires in their ears talking

into
their sleeves. The Canadian politicos even interact with comedians who
accost them on the street or in government buildings. But nobody hates
Canada..........

We do have restricted airspace around our Parliament buildings, just like
a big superpower. Ours is a bit small, only 0.5NM diameter and it goes up
to 1500 ASL. I can't see anything on the chart for the Prime Minister's
residence, however. :-)