A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ray Gimmey- Well Done

Old July 4th 14, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Ray Gimmey- Well Done

Congratulations to Ray Gimmey for winning the 2014 US 15M national championship.
This is not new to Ray, having won quite a number of championships. What is remarkable is the time period over which he has accomplished this. If I recall correctly, his first national win was in 1972 at Minden winning the Opens using a Standard Libelle.
A remarkable result for a great gentleman.
UH
Old July 4th 14, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

Yes, Ray did win the open nats at Minden in 1972 with a standard Libelle and Carl Herold who flew an ASW-12, never forgot it!
This summer Ray flew back to back nationals and the guy is 81, don't know how he does it?
Well done Ray
Old July 5th 14, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 4, 2014 11:31:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Congratulations to Ray Gimmey for winning the 2014 US 15M national championship.

This is not new to Ray, having won quite a number of championships. What is remarkable is the time period over which he has accomplished this. If I recall correctly, his first national win was in 1972 at Minden winning the Opens using a Standard Libelle.

UH

I know how Tim Taylor feels, I was flying with Ray and had led for the last three days up to the final day. Ray blew me away on the final day and won the Sports Nationals at Siskiyou County a few years back, proud to say I could be in the same sky as he was.

He deserves great congrats.

gary NK

Old July 5th 14, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

It's interesting that 81 y.o. Ray Gimmey beat young Daniel Sazhin.

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:21:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Way to go Danial Sazhin with a first place for the Duckhawk on day seven at the 15 meter nationals

Old July 5th 14, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster

Age and experience will beat youth and enthusiasm (read that impatience) almost every time, Tom Beltz was an exception in the 70's.
Old July 8th 14, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 5, 2014 3:57:04 PM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Age and experience will beat youth and enthusiasm (read that impatience) almost every time, Tom Beltz was an exception in the 70's.

Food for thought: Daniel won the 1-26 Nationals last year... the 1-26 crowd leans rather heavily to the "Age and experience" side of the spectrum. I wouldn't be surprised if the average age at that contest was triple Daniel's :-).

Cheers,
-Mark Rebuck
Old July 8th 14, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Yes! Congratulations to Ray and team! We were routing for him during the contest as we were routing for Sam Zimmerman at the 18m Nationals the week before. I had the pleasure of flying in close proximity to Ray quite a bit at Minden and over some very long periods. He is one seriously fast pilot.. I would argue that NOBODY climbs better than he does. I imagine that he has not lost a step but, if he has, wow! I could not imagine him in his younger years!

Well done Ray!!!

On Friday, July 4, 2014 2:31:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:

UH