o and io engines

Old May 4th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default o and io engines

whats the difference from IO and O engines?

Old May 4th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

O is for "opposed", like flat VW and aircraft engines.
I is for "Injected"

so, an O470 is an Opposed, 470 cu. in. engine, by default, its
carburetted

an IO470 is an Fuel Injected, Opposed, 470 cu.in. engine.

Old May 4th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Lets Fly wrote:
whats the difference from IO and O engines?

As someone else has already explained, fuel-injection vs. carburetion.

You might be interested in the information at http://www.prime-mover.org/
There's a lot of basic engine information there. Under the Lycoming section,
look for the "key reprints" in particular. I think the answer to your question
is in there somewhere, among many other things.

Dave
Old May 4th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

For the Lyc 360, the difference is 20 horsepower.

-Robert

Old May 4th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert M. Gary wrote:
For the Lyc 360, the difference is 20 horsepower.

....or, you could say the difference is 'I'.
Old May 4th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

...or, you could say the difference is 'I'.

Yes, I be the difference.

Old May 4th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Lets Fly" wrote in message

whats the difference from IO and O engines?

The I.

Old May 4th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Fuel injected engines usually burn less fuel for the same horsepower
due to more even fuel flow.

Old May 5th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

For the Lycoming series its horsepower, not fuel flow. In fact, every
plane I've ever flown from Bonanzas to J-3's have burned 1/2 of 10% of
its horsepower (200hp burns 10gal/hr 65 hp burns 3.5 gal/hr, 250 hp
burns 12.5 gal/hr). All this same for carb and fuel injected.
The difference between an IO-360 and O-360 is 200 hp for the IO and 180
hp for the O. The 200hp burns about 10 gal/hr in cruise and the 180hp
burns about 9 gal/hr.
Otherwise the IO-360 and O-360 are 100% the same engine. Stick a FI
system on the 360 and you get an extra 20 hp.
-Robert

Old May 5th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

And slightly less fuel burn than if it had a carburetor, just as Doug said!

I'm not following. You're saying 10 gal/hr is less than 9 gal/hr?

-Robert