Rotation

Old September 12th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Rotation

Bill Denton wrote:

From the Sys 60-2 POH:

"If the autopilot is equipped with optional Autotrim, the aircraft elevator
trim will be maintained automatically when the Trim Master Switch is ON
and a pitch mode is activated.
When the Trim Master Switch is ON, the trim annunciators are disabled.
If the switch is OFF, or a power failure occurs, the annunciators
automatically become functional."

Does it not function this way?

It does, but it appears to require an adjustment. I had mentioned this
squawk at one time to an avionics tech who then admitted that there is an
adjustment to the autotrim, but he gave me the impression that it was not
an exact science. Since I had incorporated a work-around into my cruise
checklist, I decided to put this adjustment on the low priority list.

Do you also fly with the 60-2? I had been thinking about adding the yaw
damper option, but other things like starters, alternators, and my Garmin
GNS430 keep breaking just out of warranty and demanding the attention of
the checkbook.

--
Peter
Old September 12th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Denton

No, I'm still a ground-bound wannabe, working slowly toward a Sport Pilot
ticket.

But I try to pay attention to stuff, and I've learned a lot from a lot of
sources, and I find that most of the people here are willing to answer
questions...

"Peter R." wrote in message

From the Sys 60-2 POH:

Old September 13th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Rapoport

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Bob Moore writes:

Yes

So aircraft that pivot the entire stabilizer also keep the entire
travel of the elevator available for flight, right? Seems like a
pretty bit advantage. If you use trim tabs, you sacrifice at least
part of the elevator travel when you trim to a non-neutral setting;
but if the whole stabilizer moves for trim, the entire travel of the
elevator is still there for you to use.

I wonder why smaller planes don't do this.

Because it is a tradeoff of cost, complexity and perhaps weight. Having a
moving movable horizontal stabilizer allows the stabilizer and elevator to
be in the same plane during cruise flight which reduces drag. A small
airplane stabilator still has a trim tab which will usually be in a slightly
different plane than the stabilator, producing added drag. The movable
horizontal stabilizer is worth the tradeoff in a jet that flys long
distances at high speed and has a wide cg range. It is also required at
high mach numbers.

Old September 13th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bob Moore writes:

Most airlines have a 'Load Control Center' with computers to do the
work, but I have worked for small charter companies where the flight-
crew (generally the copilot) works-up a Weight and Balance Form just
prior to departing the gate since a copy must remain on file in operations.

I'm surprised large aircraft don't have a computer to do this on
board, especially aircraft like the Scarebus, which already has a
laptop game console for every crew member, it seems.

Old September 13th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Allen writes:

Where did you read that a Baron 58 has a stick pusher?

I didn't, but it has one in simulation, and I don't if it would be
simulated if it didn't exist in real life.

Old September 13th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Peter R. writes:

It doesn't, unless you are referring to the interface between the yoke and
the seat cusion.

It beeps and pitches forward in a stall in simulation. Simulators
usually don't go to the time and expense of simulating something that
isn't on the real aircraft.

Old September 13th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Beckman writes:

Define "Unusual Load." ???

One that creates a potential safety hazard, or at least requires some
specific and prompt action. It might still be within specs but would
be unusual enough to come as a nasty surprise if one were not prepared
for it.

Don't pull so hard...

I have to pull quite a bit to get the nose up--but then it continues
to rise rapidly on its own, so I have to push the stick forward again
to avoid a tail strike.

Seriously, for most GA aircraft, when you reach Vr, you pull just enough to
set an attitude and let the plane do the work. It sounds like the dynamics
of flying "heavy iron" are a little different due to the placement of the
mains versus the CG/CL but it can't be all THAT different.

The 737 rotates more slowly, so you have more time to keep it from
rotating too far. I had to fly it from both the outside and inside
for a while to see how far it could rotate, since I couldn't find any
documentation on the exact numbers to use.

Your simply being too aggressive and over rotating.

Maybe I'm rotating at the wrong time, or the stick's in the wrong
place to begin with when I start rolling. Suggestions are welcome.
I've tried pulling the stick slightly so that the aircraft would
rotate on its own when it "felt" it was going fast enough. I've tried
keeping the stick forward so that it doesn't rotate until it's
actually rolling well faster than Vr.

It may be that the Baron is very heavily loaded by default in MSFS.
If I just put myself in the cockpit it might behave better, so I will
try that as well.

Like I said, don't try to horse the plane off the ground...set a proper
attitude at rotation and let the plane fly itself off the ground. Once you
are airborne and accelerating, then you can worry about pitch and power to
acheive a specific airspeed (Vx, Vy, etc...)

That's what I've been trying, but I don't seem to be very good at it.
I'll continue to practice.

Old September 13th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mike,

Because it is a tradeoff of cost, complexity and perhaps weight.

But many do have that. The (older?) Mooneys even move the entire tail,
IIRC.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 13th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

It beeps and pitches forward in a stall in simulation.

Man, you are not only clueless about instrument flying, but also about
the simplest general principles of flying.

What you're describing is the stall warning and the natural tendency of
any aircraft in a stall to pitch down.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 13th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Leonard Milcin Jr.

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Mxsmanic,

It beeps and pitches forward in a stall in simulation.

Man, you are not only clueless about instrument flying, but also about
the simplest general principles of flying.

What you're describing is the stall warning and the natural tendency of
any aircraft in a stall to pitch down.

He's always right and you're always wrong and his hours on MSFS count at
least twice as your in your logbook.

--
Leonard Milcin Jr.