Logging Simulator Time

Old April 28th 04, 03:39 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"kage" wrote in
:

For people who never met Lyle, I'd just like to give a little info
about him. He was a "real man's" pilot. In the summer he was a fire
bomber, last in a C-119 with an additional jet engine on the top.

In the winter, he gave his version of an instrument rating. All time
was at night. All time was actual, and the more ice the better. And we
had plenty here in the NW. When a big front would be coming through
you would get a call from Lyle. "meet you at 9PM at the airport, we're
going to Oakland.

He loved to turn off the pitot heat and let the airspeed go. Then turn
off the lights and pull out a cigarette and blow smoke in your face.
One of his ice deterrence moves was always fly V-27 down the coast of
WA OR and CA. If you got too much ice you just turned off your
transponder and descended out over the ocean to let it melt. Then
climb back onto V-27 and turn the TXP back on.

This never killed him. He died several years later of natural causes.
His son was the quarterback for the UW Huskies. His favorite saying,
"God hates cowards!" I can still hear him laughing.

Karl
N185KG, Skywagon "curator"

Please tell me this is a joke. Intentionally flying in ice, turning off
the transponder during IFR, descending without a clearance... Hmmm..

Old April 28th 04, 06:45 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Greg Esres" wrote in message

If you quoted them accurately, then your interpretation is incorrect.
They merely said it's more convenient to log it in a separate column,
because *some* people want you to break it out. The word "should"
doesn't apply here, because "Total Time" is not defined in the FARs
and therefore there are no rules about logging it.

I agree completely.. and additional rationale is that most FTDs are approved
for instrument currency or for an IPC as long as a CFII supervises the IPC
or currency. How can one log 6 approaches, holds, and tracking navigational
courses if that time is not considered part of one's total flight time?

I think it is more accurate for Frasca to say that it is helpful to subtotal
airplane time vs. FTD time because for various purposes (i.e. employment or
future ratings) the distinction can be important between the two. But it is
hard for my to conceive how it is improper to consider FTD time to be part
of total time.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com