New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Old February 10th 18, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 8:08:12 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Why has that technology not been used in other gliders?

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 5:57:15 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 1:31:46 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

I think, the most original thought was Diana 2 sparless wing, that allowed the highest wing loading range of any sailplane.

Damage intolerant structure. Difficult to repair if damaged.
Old February 10th 18, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Foka 4 and SH-1 also have "Sparless" Wings.

High wings like the JS-3 were pretty standard up through the Ka-6

What's old is new again
Old February 10th 18, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Charlie

Plaster all surfaces of a 1-26 with solar panels and equip with electric sustainer. Give it to Daniel Sazhin and see how long he can stay aloft...

Old February 10th 18, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

And telescoping wings were done in the 70's (Lookup FS-29), as well as the extending TE to change area and camber (FK3 and Sigma)http://www.betsybyars.com/guy/soarin.../70-sigma.html

Mechanics on both of them created quite a workload for the pilot.

By the time the configuration change was complete, the glider had sailed far beyond the thermal.
Old February 10th 18, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 12:31:46 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

If you were to design a glider what are your dreams?

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Sustainer, jet, electric, two stroke?

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

Pedestal -- Look at the Lo-150 (& Lo-100 aerobatic) sailplane. The fuselage at the rear spar is so narrow, one wing connects to the fuselage and the second connects to a fitting on the first wing. Again, like Tony said, not a new concept...
Old February 10th 18, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

Thanks for sharing those Sigma details! Fascinating.
Old February 10th 18, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

Time to start asking for biodegradable gliders. Gelcoat is a major step in that direction but we have a long way to go.
Old February 10th 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Pedestal mounted wing?

Pedestal -- Look at the Lo-150 (& Lo-100 aerobatic) sailplane. The

fuselage
at the rear spar is so narrow, one wing connects to the fuselage and

the
second connects to a fitting on the first wing. Again, like Tony said,

not
a new concept...

If you are looking back, you may as well look at the German gliders
of the 1930's. Most had high wings, and some were pedestal
mounted.

Also, for camber changing flaps, IIRC, the SB-11 which Reichman
used to win the 1978 15m WGC had them too.

RO

Old February 10th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Time to start asking for biodegradable gliders. Gelcoat is a major step in that direction but we have a long way to go

Biodegradable gliders? Uhh- I guess we could go back to wood.
Old February 10th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

[...]

Regarding the Std Austria SH1, I question the "sparless" statement;
it had a rather massive wooden spar with steel caps at the root,
coupled by large pins, driven into place by captive RH and LH screws.
It was close to best 15m ship at the time, thanks to the new Eppler 266
airfoil and the use of fibreglass over the playwood wing skin; it would outclimb the vaunted Sisu and outrun the K6 E.
I flew one to 4th place in the 1965 US Nats in Adrian.

cheers

John Firth Ottawa.

I have a dream. A GPS/SBAS/QZSS dream ! In honour of MLK day. macpacheco Instrument Flight Rules 2 January 19th 11 01:39 AM
A Dream franck jeamourra Piloting 0 March 27th 04 08:43 PM
A dream franck jeamourra Simulators 0 March 25th 04 01:26 PM
a dream franck jeamourra Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 07:27 AM
a dream franck jeamourra Owning 0 March 25th 04 07:26 AM