CHT EGT LED gauge

Old May 24th 05, 12:00 AM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Default CHT EGT LED gauge

Phil in Indy wrote:
Hi all. I have been lurking for some time and want to thank all of you for
giving me so many things to think about lately. I am building (actually,
"assembling" would be a better word), a FAR 103 trike. I am buying it in
sections so my bank account has time to heal. I have purchased a Zenoah G50
(ducted fan cooled, 2 cyl, 2 cyc, 45hp) engine. I am also very close to
deciding on the trike chassis. The wing will be my last major decision. (I
really like the Gibbogear FS16, but that is probably beyond my budget.) In
the meantime, I am looking for the little bits and trying to figure out what
I haven't figured out yet. I want the engine to last a long time so I want
two CHT and EGT gauges. I will also mount the hour meter near the engine.
I will also want a tachometer, a simple altimeter and of course, a compass.
Any general advise? I would not be surprised to find that someone has
developed an LED indicator as a low-cost alternative to the common
mechanical dial or expensive EIS systems for the CHT and EGT gauges. I was
imagining a 3-LED system: Yellow LED = warm-up. Green = within limits.
Green/Red = nearing upper limit, head back to field. Red = throttle back
and coast, or if safe, cut engine and land now. Does anyone know if
something like this exists? I have googled my fingers raw, but to no avail.
If I could find specs on the thermocouple senders, I could just about design
the display myself. Any advise would be hugely appreciated. TIA, Phil in
Indy.

Jim Weir did a series on warning lights using LEDs in Kitplanes 7 or 8
years ago. If all you want is idiot lights you should be able to use his
idea with slight modifications.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 24th 05, 02:19 AM
Phil in Indy

Thanks Dan (from one USAF VN era vet, to another), I found Jim Weir's stuff
at:
http://www.rst-engr.com/kitplanes/ .. but unfortunately none on CHT/EGT
gauges. Did I miss one? If you have a link, please post. Thanks, -Phil K.

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote in message
Phil in Indy wrote:
Hi all. I have been lurking for some time [snip] I want
two CHT and EGT gauges. [snip] I would not be surprised to find that

Old May 24th 05, 08:02 AM
ken reynolds

http://www.aveousa.com/avionics/inst...gles/index.php
"
Worth a look ,I use some of these on a gyro
Ken Reynolds