AOPA financial support for Bush?

Old September 29th 04, 11:10 AM
Vaughn

"RobsSanta" wrote in message
news:Gnt6d.36790$aW5.11985@fed1read07...
the PAC are those obnoxious junk mailers and telemarketing scum that go

sucking for money.

I had them phone me once a week for a 'pledge' of support to the AOPA PAC
that no one in this household made. In the end I lost my temper and told
them to stick it where the sun don't shine. They weren't just taking "no"
for an answer.

I bitched straight to AOPA and the calls went away.

I will take a "business" call from anyone I care to do business with, but
not a "solicitation" call. WHat I mean is you cannot sell me anything by phone,
or even give me anything by phone, and you certainly cannot induce me to donate
anything by phone.

Vaughn

Rob

Old September 29th 04, 02:27 PM
Montblack

("Vaughn" wrote)
I will take a "business" call from anyone I care to do business with,

but
not a "solicitation" call. WHat I mean is you cannot sell me anything by

phone,
or even give me anything by phone, and you certainly cannot induce me to

donate
anything by phone.

Then explain those 1-976 charges on last month's phone bill :-)

Montblack

Old September 29th 04, 05:31 PM
G.R. Patterson III

RobsSanta wrote:

the PAC are those obnoxious junk mailers and telemarketing scum that go

sucking for money.

I had them phone me once a week for a 'pledge' of support to the AOPA PAC
that no one in this household made. In the end I lost my temper and told
them to stick it where the sun don't shine. They weren't just taking "no"
for an answer.

I simply called AOPA and told them not to call me anymore. That was over 10 years
ago, and they've honored my request.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 29th 04, 08:31 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
G.R. Patterson III wrote:

I simply called AOPA and told them not to call me anymore. That was over
10 years
ago, and they've honored my request.

AOPA started sending me renewal notices 3 or 4 months after I renewed
in 2003. I found that irritating, and suspected it was a trick to get
people who weren't paying attention (such as bill-paying spouses) to
renew year(s) in advance.

They also sent me dozens of credit card offers, insurance solicitations
and offers to join their legal plan. The latter two especially were
filled with dire warnings about what could happen to me if I didn't sign
up.

Finally I called them and said look: Quit spending my membership dues to
try to extract more money from me. If you have enough self-restraint to
leave me along until my renewal in 2004 then I'll renew. Otherwise I
won't.

Guess what? Even after a month+ grace period to process their lists
they were still sending me crap. After I let my membership lapse I got
offers for discounts and freebies if I'd re-up. They even had a
telemarketing company call me.

So if you're wondering where your AOPA dues are going now you know: To
try to lure me back. I'm just glad it's not my money anymore.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 30th 04, 02:03 PM
Dave Butler

Ben Jackson wrote:
In article ,

Finally I called them and said look: Quit spending my membership dues to
try to extract more money from me.

I believed them when they said that sending me those mail solicitations actually
reduce my cost of membership, because those companies pay AOPA for the
privelege of mailing stuff to their members. Have I been duped?

Old September 30th 04, 03:43 PM
xyzzy

Dave Butler wrote:

Ben Jackson wrote:

In article ,

Finally I called them and said look: Quit spending my membership dues to
try to extract more money from me.

I believed them when they said that sending me those mail solicitations
actually reduce my cost of membership, because those companies pay AOPA
for the privelege of mailing stuff to their members. Have I been duped?

No you haven't. People can get emotional about junk mail and overreact.
I just keep a shredder next to the table where I put the mail and
don't stress over it.

Old September 30th 04, 06:29 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Dave Butler wrote:
I believed them when they said that sending me those mail solicitations
actually
reduce my cost of membership, because those companies pay AOPA for the
privelege of mailing stuff to their members. Have I been duped?

I'm sure some of those mailings are subsidized or even bring in revenue.
But any organization like AOPA re-invests a large percentage of its take
in attracting and retaining members.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 1st 04, 06:53 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Do what I do and send the stuff back. Use their envelope and put it all
back in and send it.

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old October 1st 04, 04:37 PM
xyzzy

Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote:

Do what I do and send the stuff back. Use their envelope and put it all
back in and send it.

A totally useless gesture. There's this myth that it will cost them
money or teach them a lesson. All it will do is annoy the minimum wage
employees in the mail processing company that the sender hired to
process their mail. The return postage for people who do this is such a
drop in the bucket that it doesn't even show up as a line item on the
bill that the processing house sends to the organization that hired them.