Larry has something to say.

Old August 3rd 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

Default Larry has something to say.

MailCalendarDocumentsPhotosReaderWebmoreSites
Groups
YouTube
Images
Videos
Maps
News
Shopping
Translate
Books
Scholar
Finance
Blogs
even more »Account Options
retting

Create profilePrivacyAccount settings
Sign out
Groups settings
Groups help

rec.aviation.soaring

Discussions
+ new post
About this group
Edit my subscription
This is a Usenet group - learn more
View this group in the new Google Groups

Logan Contest Reporting Options
first. To make this topic appear first, remove this option from
another topic.
Standard view View as tree
Proportional text Fixed text

19 messages - Collapse all - Translate all to Translated (View
all originals) - Report discussion as spam
Reporting discussion
Messages reported

The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to
this group will make your email address visible to anyone on the
Internet.
Cancel

Send Discard

Followup To:

see in the picture below or the numbers you hear by clicking the
accessibility icon.

Send Discard

More options Jul 25, 1:21 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Logan Contest Reporting
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
The following message from Ken Sorenson speaks for the Rules
Committee
and the rest of the contest commitee on the subject of contest
reports
from Logan. Please especially note that NO ONE from SSA censored the
previously posted reports.
UH
Ken's message:
Many of us enjoy following contests by reading the contest reports
posted on the SSA website. Contest organizers are encouraged to post
these daily reports and are responsible for selecting the reporters
and posting the reports. There has never been any structure within
the
SSA to "manage" the reporters or the reporting -- please remember
that
the SSA management of contests is done entirely by a small group of
dedicated volunteers, all of whom already have plenty to do without
trying to manage contest reporters and reporting.

The contest organizers at the recent and ongoing Logan, UT contests
have apparently elected to change reporters at the contest, which is
within their authority to do. Frank Paynter's unofficial reports will
continue to be available at
www.soaringcafe.com. Please note that
unofficial reports have been available previously from other
reporters
on personal blogs and other websites for this and other contests.

We apologize for any inconvenience the change in contest reporting at
Logan has caused and hope everyone will continue to enjoy following
the progress of the ongoing 15M Nationals on the SSA website and
elsewhere.

Ken Sorenson
SSA Contest Committee Chairman

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Walt Connelly View profile
More options Jul 25, 5:34 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Walt Connelly
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:34:25 +0000
;777899 Wrote:

[...]

As one who reads and enjoys any reports about ongoing contests I
would
like to ask just where these other reports might be? I think we all
knew Franks would be available on the SSA site and Soaring Cafe, well
written with a bit of humor which I always appreciated.

Who may I ask are the new reporters and where might we find their
writings, ramblings, notes, anecdotes, scribblings, comments and the
like? Inquiring minds want to know.

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Berry View profile
More options Jul 26, 2:15 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Berry
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:15:01 -0500
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
In article
,

wrote:
The following message from Ken Sorenson speaks for the Rules Committee
and the rest of the contest commitee on the subject of contest reports
from Logan. Please especially note that NO ONE from SSA censored the
previously posted reports.
UH
Ken's message:
Many of us enjoy following contests by reading the contest reports

Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Berry View profile
More options Jul 26, 2:18 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Berry
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:18:02 -0500
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
In article ,

Berry wrote:

Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Tim Taylor's post in the original
thread clears that up.

Thanks

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

noel.wade View profile
More options Jul 26, 3:58 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: "noel.wade"
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

Who may I ask are the new reporters and where might we find their
writings, ramblings, notes, anecdotes, scribblings, comments and the
like? Inquiring minds want to know.

I was only there for the Regionals and my ramblings usually only
cover
my own flights (for friends & family that want to follow along) - but
you're more than welcome to read my contest Blogs on my SSA page:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=1864823698&show=blog

Enjoy,

--Noel

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Ron Gleason View profile
More options Jul 26, 5:08 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Ron Gleason
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:08:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
On Jul 26, 12:18 pm, Berry wrote:

In article ,

Berry wrote:

Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Tim Taylor's post in the original
thread clears that up.

Thanks

I personally removed the reports from the SSA Official Contest site
after *ALL* the contest management folks agreed to the action. We
discussed and understood the risk associated with this action.

Ron Gleason
15 Meter Nationals Scorer and Logan contest ground coordinator etc

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

hretting View profile
More options Jul 26, 10:17 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: hretting
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this
author
Ken, I took your advice and erase my tactifully humorious reply.

Ron, on behalf of the SSA community, we appreciate all the hard work
that you and your fellow contest volunteers do and wish great days
ahead of you.

"Frank, go put a bucket over your head."

"GOOOOOD Chiken, Love dem bisqits, TOO!"

Reply Reply to author Forward

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Walt Connelly View profile
More options Jul 27, 3:13 am

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Walt Connelly
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 07:13:07 +0000
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
Ron Gleason;778051 Wrote:

On Jul 26, 12:18*pm, Berry wrote:-
In article ,

*Berry wrote:
-
Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?-

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Tim Taylor's post in the original
thread clears that up.

Thanks-

I personally removed the reports from the SSA Official Contest site
after *ALL* the contest management folks agreed to the action. We
discussed and understood the risk associated with this action.

Ron Gleason
15 Meter Nationals Scorer and Logan contest ground coordinator etc

But Ron, that's censorship. Just because one can, does not mean one
should. While you might have disagreed with Frank's comments, to
delete
them in my opinion creates a dangerous precedence.

cen sor ship/ˈsensərˌSHip/
Noun: The practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and
suppressing unacceptable parts.

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Gary View profile
More options Jul 27, 8:32 am

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Gary
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 05:32:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
On Jul 26, 5:08 pm, Ron Gleason wrote:

On Jul 26, 12:18 pm, Berry wrote:

In article ,

Berry wrote:

Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Tim Taylor's post in the original
thread clears that up.

Thanks

I personally removed the reports from the SSA Official Contest site
after *ALL* the contest management folks agreed to the action. We
discussed and understood the risk associated with this action.

Ron Gleason
15 Meter Nationals Scorer and Logan contest ground coordinator etc

So Ron, the section of Frank's report that the management found
objectionable has been pointed out....... but why it was thought to
be
unacceptable has not been clearly defined or explained. That would
help us better understand the reason and possibly (or not) agree with
the decision. Personally, I think Frank breathes a lot of fresh air
into contest reports without resorting to "How many words can I
write"
tactics.

Gary Adams GA2

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

noel.wade View profile
More options Jul 27, 11:02 am

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: "noel.wade"
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
On Jul 27, 5:32 am, Gary wrote:

So Ron, the section of Frank's report that the management found
objectionable has been pointed out....... but why it was thought to be
unacceptable has not been clearly defined or explained. That would
help us better understand the reason and possibly (or not) agree with
the decision. Personally, I think Frank breathes a lot of fresh air
into contest reports without resorting to "How many words can I write"
tactics.

Gary Adams GA2

Gary - I believe it was explained in this message (in another RAS
thread):
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...9bbe41bddb6601

Enjoy,

--Noel

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Gary View profile
More options Jul 27, 1:29 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Gary
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT)
On Jul 27, 11:02 am, "noel.wade" wrote:

On Jul 27, 5:32 am, Gary wrote:

So Ron, the section of Frank's report that the management found
objectionable has been pointed out....... but why it was thought to be
unacceptable has not been clearly defined or explained. That would
help us better understand the reason and possibly (or not) agree with
the decision. Personally, I think Frank breathes a lot of fresh air
into contest reports without resorting to "How many words can I write"
tactics.

Gary Adams GA2

Gary - I believe it was explained in this message (in another RAS
thread):http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...9bbe41bddb6601

Enjoy,

--Noel

Thanks,
GA2

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

M North View profile
More options Jul 27, 2:00 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: M North
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:00:45 -0700 (PDT)
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
Censorship is silly.
The idea of Unofficial vs. Official contest reports is silly.
We should be celebrating the wide range of passion, experience,
opinions, flying skills, and writing skills we have in this sport.

Don't remove something just because you disagree with it. Add your
disagreement to the conversation and let everyone read both opinions.

I don't know Frank, but I want to read more from him, not less. And
don't want to have to go looking in some special place to find his
stories.

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Eric Greenwell View profile
More options Jul 27, 7:29 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Eric Greenwell
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:29:54 -0700
On 7/27/2011 11:00 AM, M North wrote:

Censorship is silly.
The idea of Unofficial vs. Official contest reports is silly.
We should be celebrating the wide range of passion, experience,
opinions, flying skills, and writing skills we have in this sport.

Don't remove something just because you disagree with it. Add your
disagreement to the conversation and let everyone read both opinions.

I don't know Frank, but I want to read more from him, not less. And I
don't want to have to go looking in some special place to find his
stories.

Sorry, I don't think the official contest reports on the SSA site
should
be turned into an "open mike". RAS, blogs, and more can fill the wide
range you desire.

email me)

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

hretting View profile
More options Jul 27, 9:02 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: hretting
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:02:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this
author
Horse****.....and to add insult to the whole mess is we have to read,
correction, see the dry chicken maker boring crap on 'SoaringCafe'
after he chase TA away. If RG and TT had a problem with the accuracy
of TA reports and where his take on the flight was, than TA should
have been given the opportunity to reflect this with an updated
report
to allow us to follow on with an exciting contest.
These two ruin a fun thing.
I apologize in advance if working with TA was tried and he refused.

Reply Reply to author Forward

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Walt Connelly View profile
More options Jul 27, 4:58 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Walt Connelly
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:58:07 +0000
hretting;778079 Wrote:

Ken, I took your advice and erase my tactifully humorious reply.

Ron, on behalf of the SSA community, we appreciate all the hard work
that you and your fellow contest volunteers do and wish great days
ahead of you.

"Frank, go put a bucket over your head."

"GOOOOOD Chiken, Love dem bisqits, TOO!"

Romeo, Romeo, hath thou buckled under Romeo?
A humorous reply needith 2B or not 2B erased?
And you suggest Frank puttith a bucket over his head?
for sooth or soothless, nay, nay, sayith it is not true.
Thou kiddith, doth thou not?

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Ron Gleason View profile
More options Jul 28, 10:11 am

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Ron Gleason
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:11:36 -0700 (PDT)
On Jul 27, 6:32 am, Gary wrote:

On Jul 26, 5:08 pm, Ron Gleason wrote:

On Jul 26, 12:18 pm, Berry wrote:

In article ,

Berry wrote:

[...]

I believe that the decision process and reasoning behind the decision
was clearly spelled out by Tim Taylor's post. at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...9bbe41bddb6601

I too enjoy reading Frank's reports however he was not asked nor
designated to be the 'contest reporter' and post on the official SSA
contest site. We have continued to encourage Frank to document his
experiences and let us know where the reports are so we can include
links on the SSA contest site.

Gary and Walt, I am sure we can debate this till our fingers fall off
so I am categorizing this as we can agree to disagree.

One day left of the 15 Meter Nationals, the scores are close and I am
looking forward to seeing the race won in the air today! BTW Frank
is
in 2nd place going into the last day!

Ron Gleason

Ron Gleason

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Pat Russell View profile
More options Jul 29, 7:36 am

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: Pat Russell
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 04:36:29 -0700 (PDT)
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

I don't think the official contest reports on the SSA site should
be turned into an "open mike"....

Agreed.

But I think that, as the editorial authority, Contest Management has
the power to

1. censor
2. edit
3. publish an alternative viewpoint

in reverse order of desirability.

-Pat

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

hretting View profile
More options Jul 29, 10:35 pm

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: hretting
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:35:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this
author
Of course Gleason all of you decide on practice day to tell TA not to
report on the SSA site rather than wait until day 5 or 6 as only one
of lower class would do. Good thing TT gave you his good advice to
avoid the obvious and bring about the possibilities of the Logan
staff
appearing.....shallow.
Take a long hard look at the 'results and report' page on the SSA
site
boys.
5 maybe 6 days missing from the report side,at the 15M Nationals.
A volunteer .... just trying to do his part. Like the two of you.
Thanks

Frank, you come on down south to Cordele and write all you want, what
you want. How the lightning bolts and thunder made you believe the CD
was crazy. How I got lucky the first two days and lawn darted all the
rest. You take what is and make a story. No boys....down south we
don't censor....we just make more sweet tea.

Reply Reply to author Forward

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Larry Goddard View profile
More options Jul 30, 9:22 am

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: "Larry Goddard"
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 13:22:00 +0000
"Ron Gleason" wrote in message

:

I believe that the decision process and reasoning behind the decision
was clearly spelled out by Tim Taylor's post. at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...9bbe41bddb6601

I too enjoy reading Frank's reports however he was not asked nor
designated to be the 'contest reporter' and post on the official SSA
contest site.

Hold on here now!!!! When the Contest Manager asks Frank to be the
'contest reporter' and post his comments on the official site, that
pretty well settles the issue in my mind.

Zero One

Reply Reply to author Forward Report spam
Reporting spam
Message reported

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Privacy Policy

Larry Sarner: Crackpot and Quack [email protected] Soaring 0 July 15th 09 05:33 PM
Derek, Jeff,Jon, Jim, and Larry Jerry Wass Aviation Marketplace 0 September 4th 07 08:28 PM
Where is Larry Mansberger ? [email protected] Soaring 2 October 8th 06 01:44 AM
Larry Mauro Frank Beagle Home Built 0 October 23rd 05 02:17 PM
Larry Bogan Bob Johnson Soaring 0 December 14th 04 04:39 PM