NM regulates alcohol service in its airspace

Old January 30th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default NM regulates alcohol service in its airspace

I guess the state of New Mexico believes it has jurisdiction over
overflying aircraft serving alcohol .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070130/ap_on_re_us/
us_airways_liquor_order

"ALBUQUERQUE - The bar is closed on US Airways' New Mexico flights.
The state ordered the airline to stop serving alcohol on flights to or
from New Mexico after learning that it didn't have a state liquor
license. ... They should not be selling alcohol while in New Mexico
airspace."

I wonder what the definition of "New Mexico" Airspace is. I didn't
realize NM had its own airspace.

-Robert

Old January 30th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Robert M. Gary" wrote)
"ALBUQUERQUE - The bar is closed on US Airways' New Mexico flights.
The state ordered the airline to stop serving alcohol on flights to or
from New Mexico after learning that it didn't have a state liquor license.
... They should not be selling alcohol while in New Mexico airspace."

I wonder what the definition of "New Mexico" Airspace is. I didn't realize
NM had its own airspace.

Dear New Mexico,

All flights, to and from New Mexico, will be grounded beginning March 1st,
2007.

Sincerely,

The FAA

....problem solved!

Montblack
"A gracious good morning to you ... Have I reached the party to whom I am
speaking?"

(....later)
"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the phone company."

Old January 30th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

"Montblack" wrote:

("Robert M. Gary" wrote)
"ALBUQUERQUE - The bar is closed on US Airways' New Mexico flights.
The state ordered the airline to stop serving alcohol on flights to
or from New Mexico after learning that it didn't have a state liquor
license. ... They should not be selling alcohol while in New Mexico
airspace."

I wonder what the definition of "New Mexico" Airspace is. I didn't
realize NM had its own airspace.

Dear New Mexico,

All flights, to and from New Mexico, will be grounded beginning March
1st, 2007.

Sincerely,

The FAA

...problem solved!

Not necessarily. I recall that Kansas wanted a cut of the taxes on
alcohol sales based on the time that airlcraft were in the airspace above
the state, whether they landed in the state or not.

All in the interest of looking at new and imaginative ways of taxing
people who don't vote in that state.
Old January 30th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"James Robinson" wrote in message
. ..

Not necessarily. I recall that Kansas wanted a cut of the taxes on
alcohol sales based on the time that airlcraft were in the airspace above
the state, whether they landed in the state or not.

All in the interest of looking at new and imaginative ways of taxing
people who don't vote in that state.

Didn't California try to collect tax on aircraft that overflew the state? I
think they were owned by California Corporations, and were kept in another
state to avoid taxes.

Old January 30th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 30, 9:42 am, "Steve Foley" wrote:
"James Robinson" wrote in message

. ..

Not necessarily. I recall that Kansas wanted a cut of the taxes on
alcohol sales based on the time that airlcraft were in the airspace above
the state, whether they landed in the state or not.

All in the interest of looking at new and imaginative ways of taxing
people who don't vote in that state.

Didn't California try to collect tax on aircraft that overflew the state? I
think they were owned by California Corporations, and were kept in another
state to avoid taxes.

They do. If you buy an aircraft you must keep it out of "California
Airspace" for 3 months (it may be longer now) to avoid paying an 8%
use tax on the purchase. Oregon/Nevada airports make a big business
selling "Tax Purgatory" space for newly purchaged CA aircraft.

-Robert

Old January 30th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

I wonder what the definition of "New Mexico" Airspace is. I didn't
realize NM had its own airspace.

It doesn't. Travel between States is governed by Federal law. Travel
within a State is still governed by certain Federal provisions (such
as those regulatin the NAS).

Old January 31st 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Google "state taxes + airspace + alcohol" and you will find several hits on
the subject (some of them rather old). New Mexico is far from being the new
kid on the block.

Bob Gardner

ps.com...

Old February 4th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky Robbins

On 30 Jan 2007 08:32:30 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I guess the state of New Mexico believes it has jurisdiction over
overflying aircraft serving alcohol .

On passenger trains, when they pass through a dry (no sale of alcohol)
county in my state (MS), they are (or at least used to be) required to
stop serving alcohol. I used to joke about it being true on
overflying airline flights as well: "That'll be two doll--wait . . .
.. . . . . okay, that'll be two dollars."

Maybe not far from reality.

Rick