PC flight simulators

Old November 17th 03, 03:48 AM

"Tex Houston" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
.. .
Get a room for chrissakes...
--

-Gord.

I've always been polite to you even with a disagreement. Why are you all of
a sudden getting ****y with Art Kramer and me?

Bewildered,

Tex

Sorry Tex, I agree, I usually don't sink to that level...I just
so disagree with Art's intolerance that I flew off the handle I
guess...you'd think that I was a flight sim guy wouldn't you.
Don't own one. I just find AK so frikkin negative.
--

-Gord.
Old November 17th 03, 03:51 AM
WaltBJ

The only recent one I've messed with is Jane's Fighter Anthology - it
is deficient in that it does not incorporate the effect of gravity in
3-dimensional maneuvering. Pitch-over is same rate as pull-up which is
totally false. G limit is the same no matter what the pitch angle is
up, down sideways or in between. Zero-G acceleration is not modeled.
Fuel burn is also bogus - way below actual when in AB/reheat. Lots of
little quibbles but those are the major ones which really detract from
reality. BTW I speak from about 4500 hours in fighters and about 1500
hours instructor time also in fighters, from F86 Sabre, F102, F104 and
F4.
Now, if you want to practice instrument flight and work on your scan
technique, Mcsft Flt Sim is quite adequate. Unfortunately no sim gives
you 'real motion.' You will definitely notice the sensations of motion
in the real aircraft, however. These must be ignored and will take
some getting used to. Your flight instructor should explain them to
you. Believe your instruments!
Walt BJ
Old November 17th 03, 03:52 AM
Vaughn

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
I flew real simulators. And I have flown the crap they make for

computers.And
anything that you can do on a computer isn't even close. If you want to

fly
your computer for fun ok,bur remember it is just a toy. but don't confuse

it
with real flying or flying a real simulator. I guess you have never flown

Air
Force simulators. If you had you wouldn't be talking such patent nonsense.

Now
be a good guy and just go away.

I think it depends on what you are trying to simulate. If you are
studying instrument procedures, then a good PC sim may make a great
procedure trainer. If you want to learn how to fly, then every PC sim that
I have seen so far is worse than useless. Without motion, without a wide
view, without being able to look out the side window and back to judge your
downwind-to-base turn, without true feedback on your controls, without true
"butt feel" of accelerative forces, without a whole bunch of other stuff;
you are wasting your time and perhaps "learning" something dangerously
wrong.

If you just want to have fun with your PC, go for it!

Vaughn (a flight instructor)

Old November 17th 03, 04:01 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: PC flight simulators
From: "Vaughn"
Date: 11/16/03 6:52 PM Pacific Standard Time

ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

Good sense all the way. We must never lose a firm grip on reality. And those
who urge others to take flight simulators seriously to learn how to fly, are
themselves playing a very dangerous game. We have to protect the innocent
against the unprincipled and the unknowing. You stated it quite well..

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old November 17th 03, 04:42 AM
Vicente Vazquez

"ArtKramr" escreveu na mensagem
They are not really simulators. They are just computer games.

Mr. Kramer,

Some of them, like "Microsoft Flight Simulator", are actually more like
simulators than games. If you check them out, you will also notice that
there are no such things as "scores" or "adversaries". It's just plain
flight. They might not be "reallistic" simulators, but that's another
question.

Vicente