Extended full-power in small pistons

Old January 4th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Extended full-power in small pistons

Michael Ash writes:

No final report yet, but everything indicates that the loss of engine
power was due to ice in the fuel system, which in turn was due to flying
through unusually cold air.

So it wasn't really anyone's fault? What's the recommended solution?

You really are the master of destroying context. It's quite astounding.
I'm guessing it's not deliberate, but this kind of thing really looks
extremely sneaky and underhanded.

Perhaps all the evil you see is in your own interpretation of what you read.

And don't paint all private pilots with the same brush.

I don't. There are plenty of smart ones around.

Since you're apparently incapable of understanding irony or subtlety
despite supposedly being at least occasionally an ESL teacher, I guess
I'll have to spell out why this is such a terrible thing to say. The
combination of "There are plenty of smart ones" with "I don't paint them
all with the same brush" heavily implies that the brush you're using right
now is the "stupid" brush.

No, it simply states that I make a distinction between smart and stupid
pilots, so I'm not painting them all with the same brush.

In other words, in the above exchange, you called every private pilot you
talk to "stupid", and implied to a somewhat lesser extent that a lot of
private pilots in general are stupid.

I don't understand how you arrived at that conclusion.

And then to really spell it out very
plainly, this implication that the people you're talking to are stupid is
highly insulting.

Some people see everything as an insult. I have no control over that; it is a
consequence of their own psychology, not anything that I do.

For example, if you tell one person that she looks nice today, she might say
"Thank you." If you tell another person that she looks nice today, she might
say "What was wrong with the way I looked yesterday?" The problem is at the
receiving end, not the sending end.

If I say, "it's difficult for me to deal with stupid people," and someone says
to me, "you're calling me stupid?" chances are that he thinks of himself as
stupid, and so he assumes that everyone else considers him stupid as well.
That's his psychological problem, not mine.

Ah right, reading comprehension, alongside logic and being nice to people,
is one of those skills you inexplicably lack despite acting as though
you're very smart.

What makes you think that I'm acting?

Why do you ask the question if you don't know why anyone should care?

Because you bring it up all the time as if it were some sort of flaw and
it's annoying.

So you obviously care about it. In that case, why did you say that you don't
know why anyone should care?
Old January 4th 09, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Beauciphus writes:

Let's see now... You don't want to bother with the engine, you don't want to
hand fly the airplane ...

You're half right. I don't like fooling around with the engine. I don't mind
hand-flying the airplane, within reason, but on long trips it can get old, and
when flying IFR it can get mighty busy.

... you don't want to experience the sensations of
flight, and you don't want the expense of real flying.

There's a lot to flight besides physical sensations. I'm not surprised that
private pilots emphasize the sensations, since they certainly don't have the
exposure to systems and procedures, but it surprises me when some of them have
such difficulty understanding any viewpoints on the topic other than their
own.

Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Thank you for the illustration. See above.

You could save a bundle simply put an on-off switch on a black box that
reads "pretend I'm flying".

That would not provide the parts that I find satisfying.
Old January 4th 09, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc[_6_]

Anthony, you've stated all of the above before. You need to try to remember
that you don't fly at all, IFR or VFR. You obviously don't know even the
basics of engine management, which is a big part of flying, whether in jets
or pistons.

You've stated you don't like stupid people, but here's a clue: the rest of
the posters here think you're the one who's stupid, and by repeatedly
demonstrating it to everyone, it becomes more and more obvious.

However, please keep posting, since you are a great source of amusement.

Old January 4th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

wouldn't it be great if you all would save your breath in answering this
idiot?

Not really, he's a great source of amusement.

Old January 4th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc

Anthony, it's simply amazing how you can persist in demonstrating your
stupidity, yet keep coming back for more. It's no wonder you have such
difficulty finding friends or gainful employment

Old January 4th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc

I have an engine analyzer in my twin, and it is extremely useful for
monitoring CHT on those hot days, as well as finding out the bad plug that
occasionally occurs on runup. I always run LOP in cruise, and can generally
get down to around 25gph at 8-10k and 174KTAS. I need to adjust my GAMI
injectors, since the cylinders all don't peak at quite the same fuel flow.

It may not be as useful in a 172, but for IO 470's or larger an dngine
analyzer may make more sense. On the other hand, I also have an AEIO 540
Lycoming, and even without GAMI injectors, the engine peaks symmetrically,
probably due to better fuel flow in the Lycoming versus the Continental.

Old January 4th 09, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_3_]

Viperdoc schrieb:
wouldn't it be great if you all would save your breath in answering this
idiot?

Not really, he's a great source of amusement.

then move on and take him with you to the appropriate group.
Old January 4th 09, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

What group would you suggest, since this one no longer involves flying?

Old January 4th 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Jan 4, 1:55*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

There's a lot to flight besides physical sensations. *

Enlighten us?????
Old January 4th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel[_2_]

Viperdoc wrote:
What group would you suggest, since this one no longer involves flying?

any alt.* group that welcomes trolls and the, er, posters,
that encourage them, just as long as it's not a
rec.aviation. group.

Full Stalls Power Off w3n-a Soaring 5 December 4th 08 10:29 PM
Full Stalls Power On w3n-a Piloting 0 December 4th 08 02:30 PM
Can hydraulic lifters cause inadequate full power? [email protected] Owning 13 October 23rd 08 07:40 PM
Radio protocol regarding full stops on full stop only nights Ben Hallert Piloting 33 February 9th 05 07:52 PM
4--O-470 pistons,used jerry Wass Aviation Marketplace 0 August 17th 04 05:07 PM