Why haven't rental rates come back down?

Old May 14th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mark Hansen

Default Why haven't rental rates come back down?

On 05/14/09 11:23, Dallas wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 11:10:40 -0700, Mark Hansen wrote:

Not to make you feel worse, but in my club, we rent IFR-certified 172s
for around $80 wet.

Well, you made me feel worse anyway. :- )

Hey, you could always move out here and join our club :-)

.... it's not Texas, but ... well whatever :-\

You guys are proving to me that there hasn't been any structural increase
in the expense of running a flight school/rental operation. These guys in
the DFW area have just colluded to hold their prices up.

Well, your group is probably for-profit, while my club is not. I imagine
that can have quite an impact on the prices. I know our club tries to
maintain stable rental rates even when the fuel prices fluctuate. They
just soak up the difference. During the last run-up in fuel prices, I
think the rate on the IFR 172N went from around $78 to around $86 and
now it's back down to around $80.

Also, our planes are generally pretty old. We do have one newer 172SP
with G1000. It rents for about $130. The other 172s are in the 1979 -
1984 range. But they still fly, and (most) have all the modern avionics,
etc. I've been very happy. At this point, I'm not sure I could afford to
fly otherwise.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old May 14th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Bob" wrote in message
. 102...
Mark Hansen wrote in
:

On 05/13/09 10:54, Dallas wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2009 20:07:24 GMT, Bob wrote:

My FBO/Flight School charges $95.00 (wet) for a 172, a $3 increase
from last year.

Those are sweet prices. I hope you appreciate the good deal you've
got going there.

Not to make you feel worse, but in my club, we rent IFR-certified 172s
for around $80 wet. Plus we have great insurance for a club membership
fee of $19/month.

No yearly or monthly membership fees. Club has a bonus program that
actually lowers the prices for members. Deposit at least $300 in your
account, and get a 20% bonus. This brings the cost of a 172 down to
$79.00. We are also reimbursed for fuel if we have to buy it at another
airport.
One of the busiest flight schools in the area. Several distinguished
graduates, including a several astronauts.

Question: How many hours per year do the airplanes fly?

I ask that because I suspect that a lot of the current rental prices are
going into the fixed overhead--and the owners and opperators are probably
still losing money.

Peter

Old May 14th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Dallas wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:29:55 +0200, Kai Rode wrote:

I *really* have to go to the US to do some serious flying soon. I'm
currently renting a 172R for ¤175 ($237) per hour wet...

*Now* I feel better.

:- )

I'm really sorry to do this, but I just can't resist. I tried to stop,
honestly, but I can't! I paid $32 for a 2.3 hour flight this past
weekend.

I completely understand and accept all of the hate which will probably
flow my way now.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old May 14th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mark Hansen

On 05/14/09 14:50, Mike Ash wrote:
In article ,
Dallas wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:29:55 +0200, Kai Rode wrote:

I *really* have to go to the US to do some serious flying soon. I'm
currently renting a 172R for ¤175 ($237) per hour wet...

*Now* I feel better.

:- )

I'm really sorry to do this, but I just can't resist. I tried to stop,
honestly, but I can't! I paid $32 for a 2.3 hour flight this past
weekend.

I completely understand and accept all of the hate which will probably
flow my way now.

Well, yeah, but see we pay a lot extra for all that engine noise which
you miss out on :-)

Old May 15th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague[_2_]

wrote:

Not to make you feel worse, but in my club, we rent IFR-certified 172s
for around $80 wet. Plus we have great insurance for a club membership
fee of $19/month.

Hah! Thanks for reminding me why I fly an ultralight these days...
$8/hour for fuel, $75/month to keep it at the airport...

-Dana

--
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Old May 15th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Dallas wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:29:55 +0200, Kai Rode wrote:

I *really* have to go to the US to do some serious flying soon. I'm
currently renting a 172R for ¤175 ($237) per hour wet...

*Now* I feel better.

:- )

I'm really sorry to do this, but I just can't resist. I tried to stop,
honestly, but I can't! I paid $32 for a 2.3 hour flight this past
weekend.

I completely understand and accept all of the hate which will probably
flow my way now.

Well, yeah, but see we pay a lot extra for all that engine noise which
you miss out on :-)

I know, and then you pay even more money for fancy headsets to block the
noise out again. It boggles the mind, I tell you.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old May 15th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Zack Sten" wrote ...
At least you are still able to fly. At the FBO/Flight School
I have rented from for more than six years, the entire fleet
of aircraft have been grounded since January. The excuse
was that they can no longer pay for the insurance on those
aircraft.

Here's a "cold water shot of reality" from about eight years ago:

Yearly insurance on a 1979 PA28-181, 1M/100K:
Private owners (2 named pilots) $850.
Club (2 planes/ 28 members) $2800 per plane.
Local FBO (training & rental) $8600

Old May 15th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_3_]

Kai Rode schrieb:
Club has a bonus program that
actually lowers the prices for members. Deposit at least $300 in your
account, and get a 20% bonus. This brings the cost of a 172 down to
$79.00.

I *really* have to go to the US to do some serious flying soon.

I have no hope to be 'able' to come back for some years, money (at
*that* exchange rate!) is not that big of an issue ....
Too bad. I am still missing to stand at the rim of the Grand Canyon ... :-(
Old May 15th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel[_2_]

Martin Hotze wrote:
I am still missing to stand at the rim of the Grand Canyon ... :-(

Well, I haven't made it there yet either. Some day I hope...
Old May 16th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

You won't be disappointed, Martin! g

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
Kai Rode schrieb:
Club has a bonus program that actually lowers the prices for members.
Deposit at least $300 in your account, and get a 20% bonus. This brings
the cost of a 172 down to $79.00.

I *really* have to go to the US to do some serious flying soon.

I have no hope to be 'able' to come back for some years, money (at *that*
exchange rate!) is not that big of an issue ....
Too bad. I am still missing to stand at the rim of the Grand Canyon ...
:-(

Blue Angels back in Pensacola - practice session - Diamond heading back to the hangar Pensacola Beachcomber Aviation Photos 0 March 23rd 08 04:28 PM
Ways of Getting The Lowest Possible Life Insurance Rates.( lowestlife insurance rates) [email protected] Piloting 0 March 23rd 08 09:21 AM
Ouch!!! Wet rates keep going up! [email protected] Piloting 92 October 2nd 07 07:43 PM
Frame Rates Jim Kamp Simulators 10 August 7th 05 09:03 PM
Better way than Wet Rates? Tim Hogard Owning 14 November 2nd 04 06:28 PM