bug wipers

Old November 4th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

Default bug wipers

I'm shopping for bug wipers for my ASW27B, and am curious to hear from
others with experience, especially in this model. Bug wipers are not
very common in the US.
Thanks
John Cochrane
Old November 4th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake

On Nov 4, 10:11*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
I'm shopping for bug wipers for my ASW27B, and am curious to hear from
others with experience, especially in this model. Bug wipers are not
very common in the US.
Thanks
John Cochrane

At our club, we run a concentrated training camp for Air Cadets...
they do "community service" for the club... They make for great bug
wipers!
Old November 4th 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

wrote:

I'm shopping for bug wipers for my ASW27B, and am curious to hear from
others with experience, especially in this model. Bug wipers are not
very common in the US.
Thanks
John Cochrane

At our club, we run a concentrated training camp for Air Cadets...
they do "community service" for the club... They make for great bug
wipers!

Thanks. I like the price, but I hear that model has a lot of drag, and
they tend to fall off at high speeds.
John
Old November 4th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 07:50:14 -0800 (PST), jsbrake
wrote:

At our club, we run a concentrated training camp for Air Cadets...
they do "community service" for the club... They make for great bug
wipers!

Please provide a photo how they are doing this at 5.000 ft and 80 kts.
Thank you.

SCNR.

Bye
Andreas
Old November 4th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jimboffin

I have just purchased and fitted these for my 27:
http://www.storka.at/index-Dateien/Page1217.htm
As I broke one of the previous ones when the cable broke and it
whizzed off the end of the wing at 2000ft, I fetted the new ones with
50kg breaking strain dyneema. I also replaced the nylon wiper with the
dyneema.

They fit the 27 great and work very well as well as looking much more
aerodynamic friendly than others I have seen. Of course in the US
without EASA you could garage them with a small mod!!

I am sure that Friedel Storka will ship to US.

Jim
Old November 4th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 4, 7:11*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
I'm shopping for bug wipers for my ASW27B, and am curious to hear from
others with experience, especially in this model. Bug wipers are not
very common in the US.
Thanks
John Cochrane

Of course somebody might just ask this question and then sit back and
laugh as all his competitors scramble to investigate bug wipers and
try to get them fitted before the start of next season. I wonder how
many have been ordered already.

Darryl
Old November 4th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Nov 4, 12:21*pm, jimboffin wrote:
I have just purchased and fitted these for my 27:http://www.storka.at/index-Dateien/Page1217.htm

Flexi-Putzer? I though that was a medical condition, not a bug-
wiper :-).

-T8
Old November 4th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Nov 4, 10:39*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Nov 4, 7:11*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
I'm shopping for bug wipers for my ASW27B, and am curious to hear from
others with experience, especially in this model. Bug wipers are not
very common in the US.
Thanks
John Cochrane

Of course somebody might just ask this question and then sit back and
laugh as all his competitors scramble to investigate bug wipers and
try to get them fitted before the start of next season. I wonder how
many have been ordered already.

Darryl

John,

Congratulations on being selected for the US team! Good luck in
Szeged, Hungary.
Old November 4th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake

Please provide a photo how they are doing this at 5.000 ft and 80 kts.
Thank you.

John did not specify an altitude, nor a speed We normally have it
done at ground level with the glider stationary. I won't get into the
ASL/AGL debate to figure out what altitude you suggested.

However, I envisage hiker's crampons on the shoes and pitons pushed
into the wings so they could crawl out and wash the bugs off without
falling. Granted, this might make a re-finish necessary, but it's up
to the owner to decide what modifications to make, and whether the
mods would be legal for the CofA.

Oh... what does "SCNR" mean?
Old November 4th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert[_3_]

On Nov 4, 8:42*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
On Nov 4, 9:50*am, jsbrake wrote:

I'm shopping for bug wipers for my ASW27B, and am curious to hear from

John,
Although I have not used these, neither any other ones for that
matter, there has been a number of Turejko wipers installed.
When you compete in Hungary next year look closely at the gliders
flown by the Polish team.

You can check at
http://www.dianasailplanes.com/accessories.html

Robert