bug wipers

Old November 4th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

Default bug wipers

On Nov 4, 11:39*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Nov 4, 7:11*am, John Cochrane
wrote:

I'm shopping for bug wipers for my ASW27B, and am curious to hear from
others with experience, especially in this model. Bug wipers are not
very common in the US.
Thanks
John Cochrane

Of course somebody might just ask this question and then sit back and
laugh as all his competitors scramble to investigate bug wipers and
try to get them fitted before the start of next season. I wonder how
many have been ordered already.

Darryl

I strongly support the US informal gentleman's agreement not to use
bug wipers. I'm investigating this in preparation for the worlds. I
was trying to stay quiet about that before our European colleagues
clammed up about their bugwiper secrets, but it looks like the cat's
out of the bag.

John
Old November 5th 09, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Huber

I'm investigating this in preparation for the worlds.

For the worlds you canīt go with the usual bugwipers, you need custom made
ones (http://www.drgaida.de/Putzi.htm , itīs in german but youīll get the
gist of it) to really impress competitors ;-)

Michael

Old November 5th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:46:44 -0800 (PST), jsbrake
wrote:

John did not specify an altitude, nor a speed We normally have it
done at ground level with the glider stationary. I won't get into the
ASL/AGL debate to figure out what altitude you suggested.

However, I envisage hiker's crampons on the shoes and pitons pushed
into the wings so they could crawl out and wash the bugs off without
falling. Granted, this might make a re-finish necessary, but it's up
to the owner to decide what modifications to make, and whether the
mods would be legal for the CofA.

Sounds good.

Oh... what does "SCNR" mean?

"Sorry, Could Not Resist"...