Cheap Glide Computer

Old November 6th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default Cheap Glide Computer

On Nov 5, 9:57*pm, Brad wrote:
On Nov 5, 6:10*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

On Nov 5, 5:59*pm, RT wrote:

On Nov 5, 9:42*am, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

I just put together a REALLY cheap system for budding LVVSA XC pilots
to use. *Here's the breakdown:
iPAQ 3870 - ebay $22.50 including shipping (I bought a 'lot' of 5)
New battery - $20.00
Bluetooth GPS from Semsons $23.60 including shippinghttp://www.semsons.com/amabg108blgp.html
XCSoar - Free
I haven't determined if I can make OLC valid files yet.

I use a homemade prayer wheel that I copied from a free program off
the web somewhere. *For the cost of laminating two pieces of paper,
one screw, a nut, and a washer I have a fail proof circular computer.
And it has a scale on the side for measuring distances on a sectional

LOL!

map too.

It is as you said:

Praying you read it correct in rough conditions.
Praying you figured the winds correct.
Praying you have time to redo the calculations for that second airport
when the conditions deteriorate.
Praying you estimated you position correctly.

Sorry the days of praying have been gone for 40 years.

I saw the secret, I deserve to make that airport.................I do,
I do, I do.................!

Old November 6th 09, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill

RT wrote:

I use a homemade prayer wheel that I copied from a free program off
the web somewhere. For the cost of laminating two pieces of paper,
one screw, a nut, and a washer I have a fail proof circular computer.
And it has a scale on the side for measuring distances on a sectional
map too.

And it still works when the electrics fail.

Nick
Old November 6th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Nov 6, 3:09*am, Nick Hill wrote:
RT wrote:
I use a homemade prayer wheel that I copied from a free program off
the web somewhere. *For the cost of laminating two pieces of paper,
one screw, a nut, and a washer I have a fail proof circular computer.
And it has a scale on the side for measuring distances on a sectional
map too.

And it still works when the electrics fail.

Nick

Does it work when you forget the chart? A much more likely occurance
than electrics failing.

Richard
Old November 6th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

RT wrote:
I use a homemade prayer wheel that I copied from a free program off
the web somewhere. *For the cost of laminating two pieces of paper,
one screw, a nut, and a washer I have a fail proof circular computer.
And it has a scale on the side for measuring distances on a sectional
map too.

And it still works when the electrics fail.

Nick

Great if you've enough room in your cockpit to manipulate the charts.
I don't.
In the last 15,000 kilometers of cross country flying I've done, and
the other 200+hours of just-for-fun flying, I've had exactly ONE
problem with my flight computer, and that was fixed by a push of the
reset button. I have had more 'chart' failures than that. Trying to
re-fold the chart when I fly off the section I have open often results
in torn charts, and always results in quite a bit of time I'm NOT able
to keep my eyes out of the cockpit. I'll stick to my 'situation at a
glance' system for now.
Old November 6th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I skip the wheel and go straight to praying. usually every flight
right after tow release.

Tony
Old November 9th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Cheap Glide Computer Update

On Nov 6, 9:39*am, Tony wrote:
I skip the wheel and go straight to praying. usually every flight
right after tow release.

Tony

Update:
The system works great, but I might recommend a different Bluetooth
GPS unit. The one I linked to in the original post has a pretty
consistant altitude error, of more than 200 feet. The horizontal
position is consistantly quite good.
Old November 9th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Nov 9, 11:26*am, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:39*am, Tony wrote:

I skip the wheel and go straight to praying. usually every flight
right after tow release.

Tony

Update:
* The system works great, but I might recommend a different Bluetooth
GPS unit. *The one I linked to in the original post has a pretty
consistant altitude error, of more than 200 feet. *The horizontal
position is consistantly quite good.

That's pretty cool....

How is XCSoar working out for you? Have you used it in competition?
Does it handle beer can start gates correctly (arm/auto start based on
radius or altitude, calculate distance from actual start point...)?
How well does it handle MATs... particularly w.r.t. to adding
turnpoints in flight? Think I've finally had it with winpilot --
developer appears completely uninterested in fixing (glaring) faults
of interest to US contest pilots. The docs with XCSoar are hugely
better... I would use this on an ipaq 38** or 39** with nmea provided
by C302.

tia,

Evan Ludeman / T8

Old November 9th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 9, 8:26*am, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:39*am, Tony wrote:

I skip the wheel and go straight to praying. usually every flight
right after tow release.

Tony

Update:
* The system works great, but I might recommend a different Bluetooth
GPS unit. *The one I linked to in the original post has a pretty
consistant altitude error, of more than 200 feet. *The horizontal
position is consistantly quite good.

That altitude error is likely because the GPS is not using the WGS 84
ellipsoid. An issue with some GPS including those built into PDA/PNA/
cell phones etc.

Darryl
Old November 9th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Nov 6, 9:39*am, Tony wrote:

I skip the wheel and go straight to praying. usually every flight
right after tow release.

Tony

Update:
* The system works great, but I might recommend a different Bluetooth
GPS unit. *The one I linked to in the original post has a pretty
consistant altitude error, of more than 200 feet. *The horizontal
position is consistantly quite good.

That altitude error is likely because the GPS is not using the WGS 84
ellipsoid. An issue with some GPS including those built into PDA/PNA/
cell phones etc.

Darryl

That was my initial wag, but the manual states it is using the WGS 84
model. Whatever the reason for the error, that error may be the reason
the unit is soo cheap. I have asked a couple others in the club to
bring their Bluetooth GPS units out to the field for some comparison
testing (and maybe a BBQ!)

New LK8000 glide computer video PCool Soaring 6 October 12th 09 06:19 PM
$150 10" display glide computer... [email protected] Soaring 9 September 21st 09 09:16 AM
iPhone Glide Computer Kloudy via AviationKB.com Soaring 13 September 13th 07 03:41 AM
Glide computer Mark Siegelberg Soaring 1 January 13th 07 02:08 PM
Best Glide computer and why Roger Soaring 10 October 24th 06 08:28 PM