back support to assemble wings

Old November 6th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Default back support to assemble wings

I have been laid up well over 10 month due to illness, developed lower
back , leg and feet problem. I am starting again slowly with
stretching exercises as before. Never had to use back support before
but was always aware of my limitation with my lower back.

Looking now for the best support I can find to allow me to be more
active again and hopefully be ready for the March contest. Any advice
out there with practical experience.
Udo
Old November 6th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Nov 6, 2:18*pm, Udo wrote:
I have been laid up well over 10 month due to illness, developed lower
back , leg and feet problem. *I am starting again slowly with
stretching exercises as before. *Never had to use back support before
but was always aware of my limitation with my lower back.

Looking now for the best support I can find to allow me to be more
active again and hopefully be ready for the March contest. Any advice
out there with practical experience.
Udo

Of course, some of your buddies would be happy to assemble
your glider for a few beers, at least as long as you have good
rigging aids (you know, the red ones, not the gray ones) ;-)
See you in March,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Old November 6th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

On Nov 6, 3:25*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Nov 6, 2:18*pm, Udo wrote:

I have been laid up well over 10 month due to illness, developed lower
back , leg and feet problem. *I am starting again slowly with
stretching exercises as before. *Never had to use back support before
but was always aware of my limitation with my lower back.

Looking now for the best support I can find to allow me to be more
active again and hopefully be ready for the March contest. Any advice
out there with practical experience.
Udo

Of course, some of your buddies would be happy to assemble
your glider for a few beers, at least as long as you have good
rigging aids (you know, the red ones, not the gray ones) *;-)
See you in March,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

That may be a problem but can always paint the thing red. Still I have
to come up with the beer. I am looking for a body type back support.
Was wondering if there are products out there that may be better then
others.
Udo
Old November 6th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Nov 6, 2:18*pm, Udo wrote:

I have been laid up well over 10 month due to illness, developed lower
back , leg and feet problem. *I am starting again slowly with
stretching exercises as before. *Never had to use back support before
but was always aware of my limitation with my lower back.

Looking now for the best support I can find to allow me to be more
active again and hopefully be ready for the March contest. Any advice

Hi Udo,

On the Schreder website there is an article from Tony Burton
concerning a back support he made for his RS-15. I also had a bit of
a problem with long flights in mine, and followed Tony's method for
making a support.
It works fine.

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...ar_Support.htm

Mike

Old November 6th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

On Nov 6, 4:03*pm, Mike wrote:
On Nov 6, 1:55*pm, Udo wrote: On Nov 6, 3:25*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:18*pm, Udo wrote:

[...]

Udo- Hide quoted text -

I am fine inside the Glider
Udo
Old November 6th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Nov 6, 2:18*pm, Udo wrote:

[...]

OK, if you insist... One of my partners sent me this a while back:

....Valeo back brace. They warm up and really work.
Mine is the 4" width and seems to do the trick.
Just find your right waist size.

http://www.painreliever.com/valeo_VAL104.html

See ya, Dave
Old November 6th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Nov 6, 3:55*pm, Udo wrote:
Still I have to come up with the beer...
Was wondering if there are products out there that may be better then
others.
Udo

Now this I can help with for sure.
http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Ratings.asp

See ya, Dave
Old November 6th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drbdanieli

On Nov 6, 11:18�am, Udo wrote:
I have been laid up well over 10 month due to illness, developed lower
back , leg and feet problem. �I am starting again slowly with
stretching exercises as before. �Never had to use back support before
but was always aware of my limitation with my lower back.

Looking now for the best support I can find to allow me to be more
active again and hopefully be ready for the March contest. Any advice
out there with practical experience.
Udo

It sounds like you are looking for an industrial lumbar support belt.
These are the rather thick black belts with velco, shoulder straps,
stays in the back, and elastic side straps to really cinch it up. This
will offer good support to your lower back while rigging or de-rigging
your glider. You don't want to wear the support all of the time
because it becomes a crutch and you need to strengthen your back and
abdominal muscles to help support your back on its own. I have found
Pilates seems to be a good core workout for lower back conditions. I
would do the exercises as tolerated over the winter then use the belt
while assembling your ship in the spring. While lifting remember to
keep your ears over your shoulders and your nose between toes.
Bending and twisting while lifting is what gets most people. I
suggest you find a good Chiropractor in your area to help you
rehabilitate your back.

Barry
Old November 7th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

Do you need a brace to tape? Dave YO and I will be at your trailer
everyday at 830am to assemble your ship. If I remember you have the
easiest ship (27) to do. And if you land out, will come retrieve your
a.. There, volunteerism at it finest.
I'm fat and need the exercise and Dave....
he's skinny but likes to talk.
Everybody wins
Old November 7th 09, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_2_]

On Nov 6, 3:39*pm, drbdanieli wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:18 am, Udo wrote:

It sounds like you are looking for an industrial lumbar support belt.
These are the rather thick black belts with velco, shoulder straps,
stays in the back, and elastic side straps to really cinch it up. This
will offer good support to your lower back while rigging or de-rigging
your glider. *You don't want to wear the support all of the time
because it becomes a crutch and you need to strengthen your back and
abdominal muscles to help support your back on its own.

Barry

What Barry said.

Also, I cut the shoulder straps off the wide belts Barry is talking
about, for short term use they just get in the way. Might be necessary
if you have more of a beer belly than a waist (g). The belts work
really well and can often be purchased at department stores, maybe
Home Depot etc. I also try not to wear them for long, and try to get
back on my feet as soon as possible when I re-injure my back doing
stupid stuff, lifting etc. Original injury in ultralight crash back in
'82.

bumper