Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen

Old May 10th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen

Is it safe/wise to fly a Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen? If so, what
conditions or restrictions (if any) should be observed?
Old May 10th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

Old May 10th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

I'm asking about real airplanes, subsequent to a simulated flight with the
same aircraft that ended tragically just a few minutes ago, probably due to
icing, although I'm not sure. I tried the flight as an experiment to see if
it was possible, and I'd like to know from pilots of the real aircraft whether
or not it would be possible or safe to attempt it in real life.

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield County,
but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at 12500 feet and
impacted terrain.
Old May 10th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Is it safe/wise to fly a Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen? If so,
what conditions or restrictions (if any) should be observed?

Good grief.

Bertie
Old May 10th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Viperdoc writes:

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

I'm asking about real airplanes, subsequent to a simulated flight with
the same aircraft that ended tragically just a few minutes ago,
probably due to icing, although I'm not sure. I tried the flight as
an experiment to see if it was possible, and I'd like to know from
pilots of the real aircraft whether or not it would be possible or
safe to attempt it in real life.

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield
County, but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at
12500 feet and impacted terrain.

you weren;t in an aircraft, fjukkwt

Bertie
Old May 10th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

What altitude, what route, what was the weather and DA, weight and balance?
How can you expect an answer without at least this information as a minimum?

Old May 10th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

What altitude, what route, what was the weather and DA, weight and
balance? How can you expect an answer without at least this
information as a minimum?

He he!

Has he ever gotten an answer?

Bertie
Old May 10th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

What altitude, what route, what was the weather and DA, weight and balance?

A very gradual climb from the airport elevation to 12500. The route was
ETL.MTJ.RIL.DBL, flown VFR. Weather was approximately (two hours have now
elapsed)

KTEX 101610Z AUTO 27009KT 10SM SCT025 SCT035 BKN060 03/M01 A3019 RMK AO2
KASE 101614Z 34006G14KT 7SM BKN017 BKN035 M01/M04 A3014 RMK AO2 SNE05 P0000
KRIL 101553Z AUTO VRB04KT 10SM FEW050 08/M01 A3013 RMK AO2 SLP179 T00781011
TSNO

KASE had 1SM and blowing snow and fog at the time of my flight.

Aircraft weight was 2426 lbs with 336 lbs of fuel.

How can you expect an answer without at least this information as a minimum?

Gross discrepancies between what is required and what the aircraft can do
would not require that level of detail, but since you've asked for it, I've
provided it.
Old May 10th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Viperdoc writes:

[...]

You had blowing snow in your cold water apartment?

Bertie
Old May 10th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

You didn't include the area forecast and any sigmets or airmets. What is the
climb rate in a 172 for the given W/B at the temperature and altitude you
mentioned?