!!! WARNING -- AOPA credit card holders. The credit card company is trying to change the rules in mid-game. Read the statement sent to you by MBNA.

Old May 8th 05, 04:32 AM
George Patterson

Ben Jackson wrote:

Endurance (as fuel burn/capacity) can be a big factor in overall speed.
A nonstop 800nm trip at 135kt takes only about 15 minutes longer than
a 800nm trip at 160kt with a fuel stop.

Most of us can't handle 6 hours without a pit stop to reduce hydraulic pressure.
I'll take the 160 knot plane with the smaller tanks.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 8th 05, 04:38 AM
Ken Reed

I assume that when you say "speed" you are talking about minimium trip time.
Obviously range is a big part of this, maybe bigger than actual TAS.

Right, overall trip time.

Also, are you talking about flying in virtually all weather or just
most of the time?

Most of the time.

Are your trips evenly distributed thoughout the seasons?

Pretty much. December is slow, November a bit slow. The other months are
about equal.

How many trips will involve crossing the Sierra or Rockies?

Sierra, every two months, Rockies, twice a year.

At night?

Virtually never. Unless it is a short trip, I won't fly after a full day
of work. Generally I have an entire day for travel, a one day
requirement to be somewhere and the next entire day to travel home.

What is the operating budget? It is going to cost at least $50K/yr to
operate an airplane that will make 75+% of the trips. If your trips are
mostly to SoCal from Tuscon, just buy a high performance turbocharged
single and you will be able to complete most of your trips at low cost.

Figure six trips to SoCal, another four to Las Vegas. A handful to NM,
TX, CO per year. The TC single is highest on my list right now - the
question is *which* TC single ?

If a lot of trips are to somewhere in the PNW or the Plains (aka: tornado
alley) then you are going to need deice and radar.

There's my challenge. I average eight trips per year to Portland, OR. I
may decide to still fly those commercially, depending on the airplane I
end up with. East coast stuff will remain commercial. I know I can't
eliminate commercial travel entirely, I just want to reduce it as much
as practical.

Can you just fly to Pheonix and then fly direct on SW or UAL?

I can drive to PHX. From my house, TUS is about 40 minutes and PHX is
about a 90 minute drive. By the time I drive to the airport, preflight,
pull the airplane out and secure the hangar and fly to PHX, it is a wash
to drive with respect to time. I really want to avoid the whole TSA
thing as much as possible. That random "strip search" a couple of weeks
ago was the final straw.

I had a similiar situation to yours. I lived in Minden NV, flew a Turbo
Lance and I had about 85% success in being able to fly myself to
destinations mostly in CA, arriving on time and not getting stranded on the
California side of the mountains when it was time to return. To go from 85%
to 99%, the minimium airplane had to have radar, pressurization, deice and
(two) turbine engines.

My furthest trip would be a bit shy of 1000 NM. If I can do that
non-stop with reasonable speed, that's about 6 hours. I typically depart
at 7 am so that would get me there around 1 pm. If I have weather
issues, as long as I can get within a 4-6 hour drive, that will still be
a success.

Think long and hard about what you want to accomplish and what you are
willing to do and pay for it. There is no airplane that will make your
trips 99% of the time even at four times your budget but almost any airplane
will make your trips most of the time.
What are the deficiencies of your current airplane (the Mooney) for making
your trips?

Overall time, primarily. Altitude secondarily. My 'C' model Mooney may
require two fuel stops (depending on wind) and a total time for a 1000
NM trip of close to 10 hours. If I can pick up 30 kts of TAS and make it
a one fuel stop trip, that shortens my overall time to maybe seven
hours. Non-stop might be six hours. Saving 40% on time would make me
want to do it. I don't have a strong desire to spend 10 hours getting
somewhere in one day in a GA airplane. Intermediate trips would all be
non-stop versus some of them one stop in my current Mooney.
---
Ken Reed
http://www.dentalzzz.com
Old May 23rd 05, 12:37 AM
Dude

First, I have to say that price limitations are not the best budgeting tool.
Could you say how much you want to put down and how much you want to spend
per year? Also, have you figured what your yearly hours might be? You can
likely buy more plane than you can afford to operate if you use the price
cap system.

If you liked the M20C, I would say that you should look at another M20.

You can likely get a K model in your price range with deice. It would be
hard to beat for Speed, Burn, and Range ( I assume that's what you really
want when you say fuel capacity, unless you really want to avoid high fuel
prices). A turbo normalized J might be another choice.

You could possibly find a TLS/Bravo (M model) in this range, but not likely
with deice. The Bravo is faster and more comfortable, but higher fuel burn
and maintenance. An Ovation is likely out of your range, but it is faster
down low, and less to maintain than an M20M. If you can go this route, it
will pay back buy having you more rested when you get there. These planes
are really more comfortable and have less vibration than the shorter
Mooney's.

The Bo's are worth looking at as well. They are higher priced, but you can
go older. Once again, deice and turbo normalized would likely be best.