American Mariner as aircraft target?

Old March 14th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

Default American Mariner as aircraft target?

I've been doing some research on old Navy missile tracking ships and came
across the story of the American Mariner, which was a converted freighter.

A website says that at the end of its career in 1966, the AM was sunk in 20
feet of water in Chesapeake Bay near Lookout Point to serve as a "target"
for Navy jets flying out of Pensacola. There's also a picture of the hulk
in 1985 (nearly two decades later).

Anybody know anything about this?

Old March 14th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Szalay

"DDAY" wrote in news:dxSJh.12642$tD2.9931
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

American Mariner

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiorover/155327673/

"TARGET SHIP" lat=38.0689553132, lon=-76.1251953469
Old March 14th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Szalay

"DDAY" wrote in
link.net:

I've been doing some research on old Navy missile tracking ships and
came across the story of the American Mariner, which was a converted

Anybody know anything about this?

good photos

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/108...43169043APoHDj
Old March 15th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

----------
In article , John Szalay
wrote:

"DDAY" wrote in news:dxSJh.12642$tD2.9931
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

American Mariner

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiorover/155327673/

"TARGET SHIP" lat=38.0689553132, lon=-76.1251953469

Wow. Many thanks--for the photo links and the lat and long coordinates. I
am writing an article about tracking ships for a magazine and looking to get
as much info as I can. I looked around on Google Earth, but didn't find
her. But I didn't know exactly where to look either.

One question I have to answer is what kind of target ship she was. Gunnery
practice or bomb practice? Or simply a sighting target? And for how long?
The fact that the rusted hulk is still relatively intact now four decades
later indicates that she couldn't have been used for live bombing practice
or used for target practice for very long--otherwise there should be nothing
left of her.

I'll keep digging, but thanks.

Old March 15th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Paul Elliot

DDAY wrote:
----------
In article , John Szalay
wrote:

[...]

From the looks of the hulk, I would surmise that it is a gunnery
target. Lots and lots of holes, some big, some small, but no explosive
damage. A big piece of Swiss cheese. :-)

--
Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics
German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics
French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by Italians.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/paul1cart/albums/
Old March 17th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Szalay

"DDAY" wrote in
ink.net:

----------
In article , John
Szalay wrote:

"DDAY" wrote in
news:dxSJh.12642$tD2.9931 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

American Mariner

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiorover/155327673/

"TARGET SHIP" lat=38.0689553132, lon=-76.1251953469

Wow. Many thanks--for the photo links and the lat and long
coordinates. I am writing an article about tracking ships for a
magazine and looking to get as much info as I can.

Hahn, Herbert Paul, "American Mariner"
a documentary biography of her role as: Liberty Ship, Training Ship,
Missile Instrumentation Ship, Mystery Ship, Test Target. Published 1990
by American Merchant Marine Museum Foundation, Kings Point, New York.
ISBN 1-879180-00-6.

http://www.usmm.net/trainingship.html

this page has the book of blueprints for the ship.
George Calvert Completed as American Mariner
USMS training ship, to USN in 1961 as (AGM-12), sunk as target 1966,

Ships - Merchant

World War II
American Liberty Ships
EC2-S-C1 type
A Study in Blueprints
Volume I

by Duane D. Borchers, Sr.

BK-050 $60.00

also named USAS American Mariner
USAF American Mariner
USNS American Mariner
T-AGM-12

http://www.marylandsilver.com/books.htm
Old March 18th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

----------
In article , John Szalay
wrote:

Hahn, Herbert Paul, "American Mariner"
a documentary biography of her role as: Liberty Ship, Training Ship,
Missile Instrumentation Ship, Mystery Ship, Test Target. Published 1990
by American Merchant Marine Museum Foundation, Kings Point, New York.
ISBN 1-879180-00-6.

Yeah, I've ordered that through Amazon Merchants. I'm hoping that I can
find out who authored it and if I can get access to the photos.

I've got a short article on the T-AGM Vandenberg appearing on the web on
Monday. The Vandenberg will be sunk as an artificial reef later this year.

USAF American Mariner

Any idea about this designation? Was it a temporary designation while she
was undergoing conversion, or did the USAF actually operate ships with that
designation? I would assume that any ships that the USAF operated were
under contractors.

Old March 18th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Szalay

"DDAY" wrote in
thlink.net:
USAF American Mariner

Any idea about this designation? Was it a temporary designation while
she was undergoing conversion, or did the USAF actually operate ships
with that designation? I would assume that any ships that the USAF
operated were under contractors.

Think they had some ships back in the DEW line days as well.

FWI:
I got to board the "Observation Island" once when she was in Pearl Harbor
around 1961-1962.
Old March 19th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ian MacLure

"DDAY" wrote in
link.net:

I've been doing some research on old Navy missile tracking ships and came
across the story of the American Mariner, which was a converted freighter.

A website says that at the end of its career in 1966, the AM was sunk in 20
feet of water in Chesapeake Bay near Lookout Point to serve as a "target"
for Navy jets flying out of Pensacola. There's also a picture of the hulk
in 1985 (nearly two decades later).

Pensacola?
Oceania surely....

IBM
Old March 20th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

In article , Ian MacLure
wrote:

A website says that at the end of its career in 1966, the AM was sunk in 20
feet of water in Chesapeake Bay near Lookout Point to serve as a "target"
for Navy jets flying out of Pensacola. There's also a picture of the hulk
in 1985 (nearly two decades later).

Pensacola?
Oceania surely....

My goof. I think a website said Pax River.