Logger Choice

Old July 5th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jamie Denton

Default Logger Choice

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a logger for personal use
and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
It won't be fitted to any single glider (I fly club
gliders mainly), so being a self contained unit (inc.
power) is essential. For me the things I care about
*IGC approval (I do fly comps so this is important)
*Battery life and Memory
*Reliability
*Integration with PDA (I use XCSoar)
*Price
*Ease of use

Things I'm not too worried about
*Integration with other equipment (Lnavs/Flarm etc)
*Provided navigation info

At the moment I'm torn between a Collibri V4 and an
EW Microrecorder, has anyone any thoughts?

TIA

Jamie

Old July 5th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Hanson

At 16:48 05 July 2007, Jamie Denton wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a logger for personal use
and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
It won't be fitted to any single glider (I fly club
gliders mainly), so being a self contained unit (inc.
power) is essential. For me the things I care about
*IGC approval (I do fly comps so this is important)
*Battery life and Memory
*Reliability
*Integration with PDA (I use XCSoar)
*Price
*Ease of use

Things I'm not too worried about
*Integration with other equipment (Lnavs/Flarm etc)
*Provided navigation info

At the moment I'm torn between a Collibri V4 and an
EW Microrecorder, has anyone any thoughts?

TIA

Jamie

Without a doubt, get the EW

Paul
"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Old July 5th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Basil

And if you do decide to use an ipaq then the EW will supply 5v to it
along with the nmea data.

Old July 5th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Jamie,

For my 2 cents, please see the following web site.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flightrecorders.htm

I'm flying with an EW connected to an iPAQ hx4700 and with the Pocket PC
powered with a Socket Mobile Power Pack (as shown on the web site).

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Jamie Denton" wrote in
message ...

Old July 6th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Jul 5, 2:37 pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Jamie,

For my 2 cents, please see the following web site.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flightrecorders.htm

I'm flying with an EW connected to an iPAQ hx4700 and with the Pocket PC
powered with a Socket Mobile Power Pack (as shown on the web site).

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Jamie Denton" wrote in

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a logger for personal use
and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
It won't be fitted to any single glider (I fly club
gliders mainly), so being a self contained unit (inc.
power) is essential. For me the things I care about
*IGC approval (I do fly comps so this is important)
*Battery life and Memory
*Reliability
*Integration with PDA (I use XCSoar)
*Price
*Ease of use

Things I'm not too worried about
*Integration with other equipment (Lnavs/Flarm etc)
*Provided navigation info

At the moment I'm torn between a Collibri V4 and an
EW Microrecorder, has anyone any thoughts?

TIA

Jamie

For the less technically adept the EW is the hands down winner.

We have one at the contest in Ephrata this week and the pilot is
usually asking for help to get his logs. He's doing just fine and no
need for a laptop at the glider.

The only possible negative it the "sleep" time. He lost a log on
Sunday (practice day) because he turned on the logger and didn't check
it at take off. Because of the long launch delay, the logger has
timed out and was off for the flight. Fortunately it was on the
practice day and since he has been careful to only turn the logger on
as he gets into the glider.

Mike

Old July 6th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 04:36 06 July 2007, Soaringxcellence wrote:
[...]

You can easily adjust or de-activate the auto-off time
function to prevent that problem.

Old July 6th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Paul[_2_]

The EW microRecorder is designed to either run from the glider battery,
or from its own internal battery, which gives up to 100 hours of recording.

The advantage of running it from the glider battery is that it will
switch on as soon as the glider battery is connected, although recording
only starts after movemnet is detected. If the glider battery should
fail, then the microRecorder automatically switches over to its internal
battery and recording continues. However at the end of the flight, when
the glider battery is removed, the microReorder would then carry on
recording on its own battery until manually switched off. Hence
forgetting to switch off would lead to a very large file. For this
reason it has an Auto-Off facility, which detects that the glider has
not moved for a period of time adjustable between 6 and 90 minutes.

When running the microRecorder only on its own battery we would
reccomend that the auto-Off facility is either disabled, or the time
period is set to 90 mins

I hope this helps.

Regards
Graham Paul
http://www.ewavionics.com

Newsgroup: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Logger Choice

Old July 6th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave

Hi Jamie,

I'm using both an EW Microrecorder and a Colibri (v3.1).
I also use XCSoar and use ConnectMe to upload declarations
to both.

If you are not interested in connectivity with other
equipment, Glide Computer etc then I'd recommend the
EW.
It will run off it's own internal battery so is independant
of any power supply requirements. But in this configuration
it may auto shut-down while waiting for a launch (Timeout
is configurable) and won't supply the PDA with 5v.

The only problem I've had with my EW is that with the
baud rate set to 4800 to match my Garmin, and talk
to the glide computer (ILEC) then the task upload facility
of ConnectMe doesn't work -- So you need a PC to do
the declarations via the USB port.

The Colibri needs an external power supply, but always
talks to ConnectMe regardless of Baud rate.
The Colibri also seems to acquire position and start
producing a navigation output to the PDA quicker.

Download of logger traces is pretty straight forward
for both

Regards

Kevin

Old July 6th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Kevin Neave wrote:
[...]

Why connect to a Garmin? Doesn't the EW have a connector for a GPS
antenna and therefore have a GPS engine inside?
Old July 6th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I tested my EW microRecorder with ConnectMe with the baud rate in the EW set
to 4800 and task declarations worked great for me. Make sure you are using
the latest version of ConnectMe, released recently.

Headset Choice jad Piloting 14 August 9th 06 07:59 AM
Which DC Headphone is best choice? [email protected] Piloting 65 June 27th 06 11:50 PM
o2 drug of choice?? houstondan Piloting 10 February 7th 05 12:40 AM
!!HELP GAMERS CHOICE Dave Soaring 0 September 3rd 04 12:01 AM
!!HELP GAMERS CHOICE Dave Piloting 0 September 3rd 04 12:01 AM