Dudley on Mustangs. What a treat !

Old March 7th 04, 04:21 PM
ArtKramr

Default Dudley on Mustangs. What a treat !

Those who are interested in P-51's might do well to go to Google, type in
Dudley Henriques, then scan down to his P-51 report. What a treat. A first
hand account of flying the plane that destroyed the Luftwaffe. Dudley never
flew combat but he served miliatry aviation and our country with his long
experience and contributuins to aviation. Read his report. As a guy who
benefited from P-51 top cover I find his repert gratifying.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old March 8th 04, 12:14 AM
Jim Doyle

Interesting site, although one question,

Quoting Dudley:
"I used wheel landings a great deal when I had the space and the runway"
I guess the other kind (no wheels!) is a bit maintenance intensive!

Jim D

Old March 8th 04, 12:23 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message
Interesting site, although one question,

Quoting Dudley:
"I used wheel landings a great deal when I had the space and the runway"
I guess the other kind (no wheels!) is a bit maintenance intensive!

Jim D

Landings on the mains with the tail low as opposed to full stall landings is
my preferred way to put a 51 on the ground.
Landing with the gear up takes too much power taxiing the damn thing over to
the ramp from the active.
DH

Old March 8th 04, 05:47 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Jim Doyle" writes:
Interesting site, although one question,

Quoting Dudley:
"I used wheel landings a great deal when I had the space and the runway"
I guess the other kind (no wheels!) is a bit maintenance intensive!

Kids these days!
For an airplane with a tailwheel landing gear:

Wheel Landing - setting it down on the mainwheels with the tail wheel
off the ground. The airplane's still flying, at this point, but you
can see what you're going to run into. Directional control is easy(ier),
with plenty of airflow over the rudder.

Full Stall or 3-Pointer - stalling the airplane just before ground
contact, setting all 3 wheels on the ground at the same time. (pretty
much, usually/often/sometimes). The airplane is no linger flying, but
you can't see what's in front of you. (Especially in a P-51, with that
big long nose) Directional control is not so easy, with the rudder
blanked, and the landing gear geometry giving a nifty positive
feedback to any tendency to change direction.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster