O/A welding question: tip size

Old June 20th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default O/A welding question: tip size

Mike,

Did the tip I let you borrow help?
I am building a mount for my HF Mobile antenna mount and may need your
help.

Hope to see you at the USO Swing Dance Saturday and the Poker Run
Sunday. If you can get in my 150, you can go with me on the Poker Run.
Fly Safe, Larry :-) O/O N22027, K4LLQ
mhorowit wrote:
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
But it sounds like, in spite of what your chart says,
you need to use a smaller tip. Just be sure you are getting enough of a
puddle on the sleeve as you turn down the heat.

Someone in the office suggests if I go to a much smaller tip, then the
area I'm heating will be smaller and therefore I may be introducing
stresses closer to the work.
Is that a consideration in the world of 4130? - Mike

Old June 20th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 20 Jun 2006 11:10:41 -0700, "Larry" wrote:

Mike,

Did the tip I let you borrow help?

Oh - yes it helped; it told me that modern tips will fit on my old
Smith handle - Mike
Old June 20th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"mhorowit" wrote in message
ups.com...

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
But it sounds like, in spite of what your chart says,
you need to use a smaller tip. Just be sure you are getting enough of a
puddle on the sleeve as you turn down the heat.

Someone in the office suggests if I go to a much smaller tip, then the
area I'm heating will be smaller and therefore I may be introducing
stresses closer to the work.
Is that a consideration in the world of 4130? - Mike

That's news to me...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 20th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:58:51 -0400, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

"mhorowit" wrote in message
oups.com...

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
But it sounds like, in spite of what your chart says,
you need to use a smaller tip. Just be sure you are getting enough of a
puddle on the sleeve as you turn down the heat.

Someone in the office suggests if I go to a much smaller tip, then the
area I'm heating will be smaller and therefore I may be introducing
stresses closer to the work.
Is that a consideration in the world of 4130? - Mike

That's news to me...

OK, I'll take that as a "forget about it" - MIke

Old July 5th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Cy Galley

Many are balanced pressure so 5 psi and 5psi might do the job,

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Ken Moffett" wrote

32psi? That sounds more like "cutting tip" O2 pressure, not welding.

Yeah, you're right, it is. My mistake.

Ever try to weld with a cutting tip? Not easy, but it can be done! g I
wouldn't try to weld an airplane with a cutting torch, though.

Quite frankly, I do so little gas welding, I just play with it, until I
like it. I don't remember what I use. Does around 12 pounds sound about
right? That's what seems to come to mind.

Still, 2 pounds is not very much. I tend to use the knobs on the torch to
control the flow, as the most important control. I would think that if
you were using two pounds, you would have to have the knobs all of the way
open. I would think it would be hard to keep a consistent flame, like
that.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 11th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Skrud

I always set up for 5.0 - 5.5 psi on both the acetylene and oxygen,
regardless of tip size.

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

Welding question - Michael Horowitz Restoration 11 September 7th 06 03:52 PM
Welding question: 43-13-1B, Fig.4-43 Mike Restoration 0 May 15th 06 02:36 PM
Aluminum welding Ernest Christley Home Built 5 April 24th 06 11:47 AM
Welding question Mike Restoration 4 February 20th 06 02:23 PM
Welding question Michael Horowitz Home Built 1 October 13th 05 09:53 PM