A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

PU finish in wave flying

Old January 29th 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric
external usenet poster

Default PU finish in wave flying

Can anyone tell from experience how well a PU finish holds when flying in wave conditions, i.e. low temperatures & strong turbulence?
I'm considering to repaint my glider, remove old gelcoat apply T35 as filler polyurethane on top. Can I go wave-flying again with peace of mind? To what extent is a PU finish vulnerable to cracking due to change in temperature? There's tons of information on the refinish topic, but I couldn't find the answer to this particular question.

Thanks!
Old January 29th 20, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 11:16:57 AM UTC-5, Eric wrote:
Can anyone tell from experience how well a PU finish holds when flying in wave conditions, i.e. low temperatures & strong turbulence?
I'm considering to repaint my glider, remove old gelcoat apply T35 as filler polyurethane on top. Can I go wave-flying again with peace of mind? To what extent is a PU finish vulnerable to cracking due to change in temperature? There's tons of information on the refinish topic, but I couldn't find the answer to this particular question.

Thanks!

T35 is polyester "gelcoat". That is the stuff that cracks. I would remove all "gelcoat", fill and surface with thin layer of polyester spray filler, then paint in UU/PU.
Good luck
UH
Old January 29th 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Dan Marotta wrote on 1/29/2020 9:28 AM:
On 1/29/2020 9:24 AM, wrote:
Can anyone tell from experience how well a PU finish holds when flying in wave
conditions, i.e. low temperatures & strong turbulence?
I'm considering to repaint my glider, remove old gelcoat apply T35 as filler
polyurethane on top. Can I go wave-flying again with peace of mind? To what
extent is a PU finish vulnerable to cracking due to change in temperature?
There's tons of information on the refinish topic, but I couldn't find the
answer to this particular question.

Thanks!

T35 is polyester "gelcoat". That is the stuff that cracks. I would remove all
"gelcoat", fill and surface with thin layer of polyester spray filler, then
paint in UU/PU.
Good luck
UH

My Stemme, finished in PU and 16 years old still has a perfect finish except for

chips and scratches. I fly in wave quite often.

It's not the wave flying that does it, of course, but the low temperatures. What
OAT do you typically see while wave flying, and what is the lowest OAT you've seen
while flying the Stemme?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old January 29th 20, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric
external usenet poster

PU is also used in the automotive industry. Metal shrinks/expands more under temperature changes than our glasfiber wings do. Is it too easy to say that if polyurethane works on cars than it certainly works on gliders?

I don't intent to do the paintjob myself, but I'll go to a professional EASA approved workshop, and they use T35 as groundlayer. Would that affect the crack resistance (against temp changes) in a negative way?
Old January 29th 20, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 1:50:37 PM UTC-5, Eric wrote:
PU is also used in the automotive industry. Metal shrinks/expands more under temperature changes than our glasfiber wings do. Is it too easy to say that if polyurethane works on cars than it certainly works on gliders?

I don't intent to do the paintjob myself, but I'll go to a professional EASA approved workshop, and they use T35 as groundlayer. Would that affect the crack resistance (against temp changes) in a negative way?

AU or PU is more flexible than "gelcoat" and thus less prone to crack.
UH
Old January 29th 20, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Single digits, say 5 deg F.

On 1/29/2020 10:46 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 1/29/2020 9:28 AM:
On 1/29/2020 9:24 AM, wrote:
Can anyone tell from experience how well a PU finish holds when
flying in wave conditions, i.e. low temperatures & strong turbulence?
I'm considering to repaint my glider, remove old gelcoat apply
T35 as filler polyurethane on top. Can I go wave-flying again
with peace of mind? To what extent is a PU finish vulnerable to
cracking due to change in temperature? There's tons of information
on the refinish topic, but I couldn't find the answer to this
particular question.

Thanks!
T35 is polyester "gelcoat". That is the stuff that cracks. I would
remove all "gelcoat", fill and surface with thin layer of polyester
spray filler, then paint in UU/PU.
Good luck
UH

My Stemme, finished in PU and 16 years old still has a perfect

finish except for

chips and scratches.Â* I fly in wave quite often.

It's not the wave flying that does it, of course, but the low
temperatures. What OAT do you typically see while wave flying, and
what is the lowest OAT you've seen while flying the Stemme?

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 30th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Eric wrote on 1/29/2020 8:16 AM:

The Kiwis have used PU longer than most. Decades ago, they would order their
gliders with the thinnest gel coat the manufacturer (Schleicher, etc) would
provide, and without any sanding or or polishing. Then they'd sand and paint them
in PU to get a finish that would survive their frequent high and lengthy wave flights.

So, contact a Kiwi, get information, and report back!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old January 30th 20, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Check with the Perlon Project folks. I'll bet their paint is PU. I believe it has experienced temperatures in excess of -80 F.
Old January 30th 20, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

As I understand the problem, it is not so much the gelcoat as the difference in thermal expansion/contraction rates between the surface coat (Gel or PU) and the underlying composite structure (Fiberglass/Carbon). As the temperature changes rapidly (fast ascent or descent through a significant temperature gradient), the two materials expand or contract at different rates. Too rapid a temperature change can cause cracks to form in the thin and fragile topcoat.

Bob LaCovara (sp?) gave a very good lecture at (I believe) the 2006 SSA Convention in Ontario, CA that addressed this and other interesting facts about composite structures and finishes. One fact he pointed out was that there are many different types of "gelcoat," and the sailplane industry has been a very tiny segment of the market, utilizing gelcoat formulations that are nowhere near the technical superiority of more modern products, and what the industry does use is often applied incorrectly and in a much thinner layer than what was intended by the manufacturer.

Indeed, the different types of gelcoats used by various sailplane manufacturers often exhibit widely disparate results in longevity and appearance. Some of this even manifests itself between examples of the same make and model glider depending on how the gelcoat was originally applied in the mold. In the 80's, it was assumed that there wasn't any difference between laying the first glass fiber and epoxy resin into place immediately, or a day after the gelcoat was sprayed in the mold. Only after fifteen or so years would it become apparent that crazing and cracking was more common in the gliders that had a delay of more than a few hours between spraying the coating and sealing it from the air with the fiberglass layers.