Electronic TE compensation, will this work?

Old February 12th 20, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Default Electronic TE compensation, will this work?

I am working through and investigating a leaking TE line in my ship. Leak tested the TE line and it seem to be wide open. Still have some more testing to do but as of now my feeling is the leak is in the fin and completely inaccessible. I think its leaking at the back of the TE port in the fin.

I have an LXNav S100 installed and I am curious if the electronic TE compensation on it might help or work for me. If the leak is at the back of the TE port in the fin then it is basically acting as a static port pulling pressure from the inside of the fin. I read that for electronic TE to work right the static and pitot should be co-located (multiprobe). If the TE line is indeed leaking at the back of the TE port, which is right below the pitot port, then this would be pretty close to a multiprobe setup since the sources are so close and both on the fin.

So, any idea if this will work for me to get at least a somewhat compensated vario?

The plumbing in the ship now for TE line is:
TE line from fin and split under seat pan. One line going to the S100 and the other to a Winter mechanical vario (with flask)
Old February 12th 20, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

I was told by one of the top Polish pilots that the ASG-29 used by Polish Team was using electronic compensation and they felt it was as good or better than using a TE probe.
Old February 12th 20, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

That I what I have heard as well, but just don’t know if my leaking TE line acting as a static will give me any reasonably accurate electronic TE compensation
Old February 12th 20, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That is extremely unlikely to work as even if the TE tube is completely detached in the fin you have no idea how closely the pressure inside the fin is following true static. The reason for having co-located ports is to minimise differences in time response. Electronic TE compensation requires really accurate pitot and static inputs with simultaneous signals to work properly. If you have them there is a better chance getting it to work (even if not well) by using aft fuselage static ports, which are usually fairly accurate, than a completely unknown source inside the fin.

Old February 12th 20, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have the same situation with a bad TE line. Not using the TE line, just the static and the pitot on the S-100. They are the standard static and pitot on a DG400, Not in a multi probe.

With the S-100 you can tune the compensation from 0 to 100. Usually 0 for perfect TE set up and 100 for perfect static/ pitot system. You have to adjust it and play with it some, but can get a great result. I am set at about 80.

Kevin
92
Old February 12th 20, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 3:29:13 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have the same situation with a bad TE line. Not using the TE line, just the static and the pitot on the S-100. They are the standard static and pitot on a DG400, Not in a multi probe.

With the S-100 you can tune the compensation from 0 to 100. Usually 0 for perfect TE set up and 100 for perfect static/ pitot system. You have to adjust it and play with it some, but can get a great result. I am set at about 80.

Kevin
92

Thanks Kevin! Do you still have the bad/leaking TE line plugged into the S100 or do you just have it open to the cockpit?
Old February 12th 20, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 3:26:42 PM UTC, soaringjac wrote:
On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 3:29:13 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have the same situation with a bad TE line. Not using the TE line, just the static and the pitot on the S-100. They are the standard static and pitot on a DG400, Not in a multi probe.

With the S-100 you can tune the compensation from 0 to 100. Usually 0 for perfect TE set up and 100 for perfect static/ pitot system. You have to adjust it and play with it some, but can get a great result. I am set at about 80.

Kevin
92

Thanks Kevin! Do you still have the bad/leaking TE line plugged into the S100 or do you just have it open to the cockpit?

Kevin wrote: "They are the standard static and pitot on a DG400". Forget your original idea - dont waste your time on it

Old February 12th 20, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Look at the manual!

If you're going to use the electronic compensation you need to plumb the static to both the static port and TE port on the s100, with the Pitot line to the Pitot port.

The ships TE line is not attached to the S100 if you're using electronic compensation.
Old February 12th 20, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

In my Stemme I have the ClearNav vario electronically compensated, I
think it's set around 90%, and it uses the fuselage static ports, aft of
the wing, and the pitot tube on the nose.Â* The mechanical variometer
uses the TE probe, also in the nose boom.Â* They both track nicely together.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 12th 20, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 8:34:53 AM UTC-8, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Look at the manual!

If you're going to use the electronic compensation you need to plumb the static to both the static port and TE port on the s100, with the Pitot line to the Pitot port.

The ships TE line is not attached to the S100 if you're using electronic compensation.

I have read it multiple times. My ship is plumbed for pneumatic compensation right now. everything is plumbed correctly. But, since my TE is leaking somewhere in the fin the TE line is no longer working as it should and it is basically acting as a static now. So, with the TE line acting as a static and with it currently being plugged into the TE line in the S100 (like the manual says) it should already be plumbed for electronic compensation. Although, this is not standard or ideal. That all said, I am just wondering what will happen if it go ahead and switch on the electronic compensation. Obviously its not going to be great or super accurate because im not using a proper static in located in the fin or multiprobe in the fin as intended. Basically, I have a TE line in the fin that is leaking and I have zero access too and i am looking for options to get some sort of TE compensation