GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

Old May 31st 18, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

Sounds very interesting although I have yet to see it/use it.
Regardless, sounds great and I thank you for your time.
It may be worthwhile within our local guys as an additional friendly thing/training item.
Old May 31st 18, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MMOORE

Does this mean that non-linked Gotenna mesh devices can now act as a repeater (and must the Gotenna be placed in relay mode) ?

Thanks Ben
Old May 31st 18, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 11:37:20 AM UTC-7, Wit Wisniewski wrote:
- Consider adding input from Stratux. Stratux is a $100 1090 and 978 MHz receiver that collects direct ADSB-out, UAT-out, rebroadcast TIS-b, weather, and NOTAM data from aircraft and ground towers, and puts it in a serial stream on a WiFi port. I use it with Avare, an open source EFB/navigation app. Parsing the stream for aircraft positions to be displayed on your map should be relatively easy.

Interesting idea about adding Stratux support, Wit! I'll look into it.

MMoore, unfortunately a lone goTenna Mesh can't relay transmissions from GliderLink. It must be paired with a phone running GliderLink. GliderLink doesn't use goTenna's mesh networking implementation; it uses its own. There are three kinds of messages a goTenna can send: private one-to-one messages, private group messages, and public broadcasts (called Shouts) that anyone can receive. GliderLink exclusively send Shouts, but goTenna's Meshing feature only works for one-to-one messages at the moment. That's why I had to implement my own meshing protocol. goTenna has said it may enable meshing for Shouts in the future.
Old May 31st 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 2:37:20 PM UTC-4, Wit Wisniewski wrote:
In my opinion, Flarm should have been chosen as a universal system for
worldwide collision avoidance between all aircraft over ADSB-out/in.

No, they have different characteristics and meet different needs.

Flarm is banned in the US.

No, original FLARM cannot meet USA FCC requirements, so is not legal in USA.
Original FLARM would work very poorly in USA due to other spectrum use.

PowerFlarm is a very low transmit power attempt at salvaging
some Flarm capability.

No, PowerFLARM is the logical evolution of FLARM, with better radios,
and meeting USA FCC requirements (which was costly).

I see many local XC pilots contemplating or already installing ADSB-out
to promote safety with respect to non-glider traffic.

If their primary collision risk is non-glider traffic, that is exactly
what they should be doing.

With limited money, battery power, and panel space, and with only
a minority of gliders/towplanes equipped, I expect PowerFlarm to go extinct.

No, PowerFLARM and FLARM address glider-glider conflicts which cannot be
addressed with ADS-B technology.

It would help all of us if you would get your facts straight.

Or is Wit actually a witless troll???

Really now...
Old June 1st 18, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 4:50:33 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
(…)

No, PowerFLARM and FLARM address glider-glider conflicts which cannot be
addressed with ADS-B technology.

Dave, this has been discussed here recently, and what we have heard from Darryl was that ADS-B technology would actually do it better than FLARM because of a stronger and more frequent signal. The big hurdle is the amount of time and effort to write the necessary code for a relatively small glider community.

Old June 1st 18, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

The basic misunderstanding of the differences between FLARM (and PF) and ADS-B among so many pilots is a bit scary.

FLARM is designed to prevent collisions between equipped gliders. It is optimized for short range warnings - any longer range "situational awareness" is just a side benefit. PF adds ADS-B (Mode S only, unfortunately) and Mode C/S "PCAS" warnings; again more as a side benefit (albeit a real nice one - along with the GPS and logger functions). But it is still primarily an ANTI-COLLISION tool between cooperative PF-equipped aircraft.

ADS-B is primarily an ATC tool to manage air traffic, replacing (actually, suppementing) the existing ground radar based system (SSR). While it has "situational awareness" benefits if ADS-B IN is used, that is NOT the same as ANTI-COLLISION. If you do not appreciate the subtle difference, please spend some time getting to understand the underlying technologies.

Remember, the ADS-B mandate is only for ADS-B OUT. There is no regulatory requirement for ADS-B IN, which would be required if a self contained anti-collision feature was intended. Which is why we ended up with the absurd situation of an ADS-B IN receiver not always seeing all ADS-B OUT traffic (UAT) if not paired up with an ADS-B out system.

Ideally, we would have both in gliders; Mode S ADS-B in/out to let others know we are around and get the bennies (traffic awareness, WX, etc) and FLARM to take care of the specific glider to glider collision threat.

Hopefully, TABS will evolve into something affordable and small enough for adoption by the majority of gliders that do not have transponders installed (or even electrical systems! Murica!) but as is so often stated, we are such a small market ...

Kirk
Old June 26th 18, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

FYI, goTenna is having a 4th of July sale: 20% off with code JULY4. Good until July 8th. http://gotenna.com
Old July 16th 18, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

goTenna has recently released a new version of its official app, which includes a new firmware for the goTenna Mesh that is supposed to fix the resetting problem. However, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. I tried it, and the firmware update failed, rendering my goTenna Mesh inoperative. The same may happen to you. I am working with goTenna to get this problem resolved. Don't update your firmware for now.
Old July 17th 18, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

https://www.glidernet.org